Wiki Posts
Search

This is what I call Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
This is what I call Customer Service

My friend was booked on AS 3407 from SJC to SAN with a scheduled departure at 8:30 am. The flight ended up leaving about 2 hours late due to a mechanical. All of the passengers were given a breakfast voucher while they were waiting, and by the end of the day, my friend had a email from AS with an apology and a $75 flight certificate!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
^ ^ ^

My first or second ever AS flight a few months ago, it was something like SFO-SEA, catering forgot to load food for F. Captain came out of the cockpit to tell us about the situation and sure enough, all of us unanimously would have preferred an on time departure than wait for food. Captain also said he would send a stern message to the company as he never saw something like this happen before.

We all got a free snackbox from economy and a few hours after arrival, AS proactively dropped a $25 discount code in my account ^ ^ ^
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by maradori
^ ^ ^

My first or second ever AS flight a few months ago, it was something like SFO-SEA, catering forgot to load food for F. Captain came out of the cockpit to tell us about the situation and sure enough, all of us unanimously would have preferred an on time departure than wait for food. Captain also said he would send a stern message to the company as he never saw something like this happen before.

We all got a free snackbox from economy and a few hours after arrival, AS proactively dropped a $25 discount code in my account ^ ^ ^
$25 is a bit chintzy for that one, IMO.

As a point of reference, $25 is what you get for a bag taking 21 minutes to the carousel.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AS
I agree.
Since issue was in F, I would have expected something more along the lines of $100-125.
I have received such for issues of broken recline or broken tray table in F.
But, Alaska is still the best with customer service and response to issues. I am continually impressed with them. 😃
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Good grief. I have had flights late, missed connections, and had flights cancelled and never has another airline spontaneously and without a formal request sent me any compensation. You folks are really spoiled. I guess it just reinforces my high opinion of AS, but I do think some of you need a little readjustment in your thinking, or at least a better appreciation of AS.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
My Alaska Flight from LAX->SEA was about 2.5 hours late a few weeks ago due to a mechanical issue and the next day, without any complaint from me, AS emailed me an apology and a certificate for $100 off my next AS booking. I give them a big thumbs up.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Good grief. I have had flights late, missed connections, and had flights cancelled and never has another airline spontaneously and without a formal request sent me any compensation. You folks are really spoiled. I guess it just reinforces my high opinion of AS, but I do think some of you need a little readjustment in your thinking, or at least a better appreciation of AS.
AA sent me 15k AA miles for an overnight delay out of LAS, completely unbidden. Impressive because I was flying on my AS number.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that's a very interesting data point ... I'll be curious to see how DL handles any issues on my next couple trips (I'm crediting to AS, since paid P = 200%)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I've had United send an ETC or miles proactively several times. AS does seem to be better about this, though.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jrl767
that's a very interesting data point ... I'll be curious to see how DL handles any issues on my next couple trips (I'm crediting to AS, since paid P = 200%)
DL seems to be pretty good with giving you miles or a voucher with any IRROPS.

If you are booking to AS odds are nothing will be offered and you will need to write in though.

I didn't fly when DL had their IT meltdown but m y experience this year is very few delays and only a few missed connections due to weather in ATL.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz 5*
Wow! nice to hear some of you getting great customer service! I just got done writing an email to AS for my experience in SJC yesterday. I was number 2 on the standby list for 318 when I checked in early in the day, then later find out I've been bumped to 8 on the list. Not sure I understand how my early check in and 75k status got bumped nonetheless I didn't get a seat. I waited at the gate for the last passengers to board when the gate agent said she may be able to offer me a "less than ideal" seat... I asked what that meant and the response was that the plane had just come in from Cabo and a passenger vomited allover. Wow, thanks for the offer AS, think I'll pass on that. It sounded like a passenger on the plane refused to sit there because the seat wasn't exactly cleaned up.. Why the hell wouldn't they delay the next flight a few minutes so that the row of seats could be fully cleaned and sanitized? It's like AS just wanted to make sure their flight took off on time regardless of passenger comfort and cleanliness. Yuck!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz 5*
As a follow up to my previous comment..how long does it usually take for AS to respond to a customer service complaint? I'm actually pretty surprised no one has contacted me!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
A few days to a week. Faster response via phone call.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jrl767
On a recent 5 hour delay during travel credited to my AS account DL gave me 15k pesos in my DL account after I complained to them.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Cowbell2011
I was number 2 on the standby list for 318 when I checked in early in the day, then later find out I've been bumped to 8 on the list. Not sure I understand how my early check in and 75k status got bumped nonetheless I didn't get a seat.
Sounds like 6 other 75ks purchased tickets before you did but checked in after? That's how you end up with people of the same elite status "jumping" your spot in the waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.