Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Two MVPs on one reservation cannot be upgraded together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

There seems to be a new (to me) problem...
Me and my husband are both MVPs. Previously, when we have been on the same reservation, we've both been added to the First Class waitlist. Of course, we understand that it is an all or nothing scenario, either both of us get upgraded or neither of us.

However, the new problem is that the customer service rep is now saying that each reservation can ONLY upgrade one person unless we are MVPG. This meant that we were both eligible for upgrades ONLY if the reservation was split into two. The rep did this for us on a PDX-LAX flight which I knew had U space within the 48 hour period, and we were upgraded within 10 minutes of the call. I am quite surprised that with their "upgrade" that we can no longer be on the same reservation, and I don't recall reading about this previously, which is a bummer.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bnj999
There seems to be a new (to me) problem...
Me and my husband are both MVPs. Previously, when we have been on the same reservation, we've both been added to the First Class waitlist. Of course, we understand that it is an all or nothing scenario, either both of us get upgraded or neither of us.

However, the new problem is that the customer service rep is now saying that each reservation can ONLY upgrade one person unless we are MVPG. This meant that we were both eligible for upgrades ONLY if the reservation was split into two. The rep did this for us on a PDX-LAX flight which I knew had U space within the 48 hour period, and we were upgraded within 10 minutes of the call. I am quite surprised that with their "upgrade" that we can no longer be on the same reservation, and I don't recall reading about this previously, which is a bummer.
First I heard of this.

Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
First I heard of this.

Me too....my wife and I (both MVPs) were on the same reservation last February when we were auto-upgraded from SEA-ABQ with no problem.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Me too....my wife and I (both MVPs) were on the same reservation last February when we were auto-upgraded from SEA-ABQ with no problem.
I'm wondering if they were waitlisted to start?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
This is how it is on Virgin America. If elites on the same reservation want to upgrade, they have to be divided off onto individual PNRs. Wonder if they're beginning to align systems?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedwoodA320
This is how it is on Virgin America. If elites on the same reservation want to upgrade, they have to be divided off onto individual PNRs. Wonder if they're beginning to align systems?
I thought everyone paid for upgrades on Virgin America...even elites. The splitting of the PNRs doesn't work when using the companion certs which is what most of my flights are on.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I'm hoping that this is a misunderstanding by one customer service rep. We have another flight together in 2 weeks so we will see if this is indeed true. We've also been upgraded together previously, and that's why this was surprising to me.

Will report back! If there are others who are in a similar situation, I'd love to see if there are other data points to prove (or disprove) this. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I think it is just a bad CS rep. We had the same thing happen a few weeks ago, two MVP on the same reservation, and was told they couldn't upgrade us. It was sorted out when I called back and got a very helpful and knowledgeable CSA.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I thought everyone paid for upgrades on Virgin America...even elites. The splitting of the PNRs doesn't work when using the companion certs which is what most of my flights are on.
The VX "comp" upgrades are into Main Cabin Select.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:34 pm

What if the 2 elites on the same reservation are on a companion fare that cannot be split? No upgrade for them?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomii
What if the 2 elites on the same reservation are on a companion fare that cannot be split? No upgrade for them?
Almost all of my AS travel is on a companion fare and my wife and I have have been upgraded as MVPs on SEA-ABQ, PDX-PVR, PDX-SLC, and SLC-PDX...no problem.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
IME, the CSRs are in general, clueless about upgrades and upgrade-related issues, and they just say whatever they have to to justify what's happened.

I placed probably a half dozen calls the other day before everything was right trying to remedy an upgrade issue.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
IME, the CSRs are in general, clueless about upgrades and upgrade-related issues, and they just say whatever they have to to justify what's happened.

I placed probably a half dozen calls the other day before everything was right trying to remedy an upgrade issue.
+1
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Just reporting back to confirm that the CSR really didn't know what they were talking about... we have another reservation for this Friday with 2 MVPs, and we were both upgraded at the 48 hour mark.

Case closed.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I gathered many fun FT acronyms from the UA forum but my favorite is "MOLA" -- misinformed or lying agent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.