Wiki Posts
Search

AS flying PDX-DTW?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
AS flying PDX-DTW?

Surprisingly Delta flies only 1x daily PDX-DTW seasonal red eye on this route. No other carriers fly this route. Seems like AS could make a killing on this underserved route with a daytime flight. Could we see AS start PDX-DTW?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jjka
Surprisingly Delta flies only 1x daily PDX-DTW seasonal red eye on this route. No other carriers fly this route. Seems like AS could make a killing on this underserved route with a daytime flight.
Maybe it's "underserved" because not enough people want to fly it to make a 737 profitable on it year-round, so it isn't something you can "make a killing" on?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Also, when you get there, you'd be in DTW I remember back during the DEQM promotion for the SEA-DTW flights, most of us mileage runners got right back on the plane and flew home....lol.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I'm also shocked to learn DL doesn't fly this route multiple times daily. SEA-DTW is 7x daily on DL plus 1x AS. Even before the days of Delta's SEA hub, SEA-DTW was 3-4x daily. I know Portland is a smaller market, but one flight versus eight is a huge difference.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
People post all the time on FT about such supposedly "underserved" routes. eponymous_coward has it spot on. Airlines, I'm assuming, spend a lot of money on yield management to figure out exactly which routes will be profitable for them. If you thought of it, they also have before, I guarantee it. It's not like someone at AS dropped the ball here, and they'll be like, "oh crap, we forgot to fly to Detroit!"
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
People post all the time on FT about such supposedly "underserved" routes. eponymous_coward has it spot on. Airlines, I'm assuming, spend a lot of money on yield management to figure out exactly which routes will be profitable for them. If you thought of it, they also have before, I guarantee it. It's not like someone at AS dropped the ball here, and they'll be like, "oh crap, we forgot to fly to Detroit!"
Not only that but being that PDX is an AS hub and DTW a Delta one, with the ongoing turf battle between them, AS has most definitely considered this route but for whatever reason, decided not to start it.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Also, you're seeing few and fewer interline / code-share fares between DL and AS. This would be a useful route for PDX based fliers to connect on DL in DTW to some minor, upper midwest or northeast city, but that would require a decent fare for the interline connection.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by northwesterner
This would be a useful route for PDX based fliers to connect on DL in DTW to some minor, upper midwest or northeast city, but that would require a decent fare for the interline connection.
There are some Delta domestic destinations served from DTW and not MSP but it's not an extensive list and I'm not sure the passenger count PDX to those destinations is high. DL has 7x today PDX-MSP.

The routine for PDX-DTW 1x seasonally (and a short summer season at that) goes way back pre-merger. I remember DTW-PDX from ~25 years ago on NW. Done on Labor Day.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by northwesterner
Also, you're seeing few and fewer interline / code-share fares between DL and AS. This would be a useful route for PDX based fliers to connect on DL in DTW to some minor, upper midwest or northeast city, but that would require a decent fare for the interline connection.
This is not a route that AS should ever serve with the intent of offering DL connections - and I would never suggest to someone that they connect from any other U.S. airline to DL in DTW unless they have a fair amount of time. It requires leaving security, taking a bus that runs on it's own schedule to another terminal and reclearing security - which can be quick or not, you just never know. Connections in DTW to/from DL are not easy unless they're online or between DL and AF or VS.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
This is not a route that AS should ever serve with the intent of offering DL connections - and I would never suggest to someone that they connect from any other U.S. airline to DL in DTW unless they have a fair amount of time. It requires leaving security, taking a bus that runs on it's own schedule to another terminal and reclearing security - which can be quick or not, you just never know. Connections in DTW to/from DL are not easy unless they're online or between DL and AF or VS.
I was just going to say that. I flew a couple trips between PDX and MUC, and the transfer from DL to AS is anything but seamless. I'm hard pressed to think of a worse international connection.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Gahhh. I didn't even think about the different terminals issue at DTW before I posted.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
I was just going to say that. I flew a couple trips between PDX and MUC, and the transfer from DL to AS is anything but seamless. I'm hard pressed to think of a worse international connection.
I've used the service a number of times and don't think it's that awful. The shuttle bus is pretty dependable these days and if you connecting from an international flight you are going to have to re-clear security anyway.

http://www.metroairport.com/GroundTr...oTerminal.aspx

The service is much improved from a few years ago when they were using smaller beat-up old vans that often filled up and left passengers waiting for the next van.

It's certainly easier than doing an international connecting from JFK to LGA/EWR (which I've done a few times). Just connecting in JFK itself can involve some pretty long walks.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
I've used the service a number of times and don't think it's that awful. The shuttle bus is pretty dependable these days and if you connecting from an international flight you are going to have to re-clear security anyway.

http://www.metroairport.com/GroundTr...oTerminal.aspx

The service is much improved from a few years ago when they were using smaller beat-up old vans that often filled up and left passengers waiting for the next van.

It's certainly easier than doing an international connecting from JFK to LGA/EWR (which I've done a few times). Just connecting in JFK itself can involve some pretty long walks.
JFK to LGA/EWR? They're miles apart from one another. Not even a comparison. Connections between the North Terminal and the McNamara Terminal at DTW are anything but easy. Perhaps the shuttle is a little more dependable now but it's still requires leaving security, exiting a terminal, taking a shuttle then reclearing security. It's a pain. Even if you have to reclear security after on an intl to dom connection when traveling solely on DL or their partners, you're staying in the same terminal - it's not as difficult.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JFK to LGA/EWR? They're miles apart from one another. Not even a comparison.
And yet DL and others regularly sell such connections, so I consider it valid. Previous poster asked for a worse connection, well there you go.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
And yet DL and others regularly sell such connections, so I consider it valid. Previous poster asked for a worse connection, well there you go.
Anyone remember that scene from So I Married an Axe Murderer, where they were playing "What's Worse?" This feels a bit like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.