Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is Alaska the ff program to use for the average person?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Before: Much east-west flying, maybe every 2 weeks. Not originating from a hub city. Flew many airlines. Usually reached silver elite (similar to MVP) on several airlines and gold elite on one or two. Also belonged to a foreign airline program. Got lots of miles. No longer.

Now: Fly anywhere from 6-8 times a year. Often from Seattle but also originating from elsewhere. Realize that now miles are worth less and fewer miles are earned as discounted fares may only earn 700-900 miles instead of 2400 miles.

What frequent flyer programs should I use?

My proposal:
Alaska Mileage Plan - AS/AA/DL/many international airlines, try to burn, minor AS loyalty. Slight DL/AA loyalty over UA but very slight as miles are awarded based on fare.
Southwest Rapid Rewards - occasional use. A trip or two in points - try to burn.
United Mileage Plus - rare use. Try to keep active, try to burn.
American AAdvantage - still have miles that I haven't been able to burn. Keep alive with minor additions, such as car rental or hotels
Delta Skymiles - don't expire. Inactive though have 150,000 miles. Try to burn.
Hawaiian Miles - for Hawaiian and Jet Blue use. (Or should I deposit trips to Jet Blue?)
Virgin America Elevate- hope points get transferred to AS in 2017.

I barely have enough activity to keep all of these active but it is possible.

The common theme is to try to burn. Alaska is used because they still award miles based on distance, not dollars. If Alaska loses DL, then rethink. If travel should become more infrequent, then consider either AS or one of the 3 big carriers (UA, DL, AA based on schedule and personal preference, not miles OR boycott one of the 3 big carriers)

Last edited by Box10; Jul 25, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
What routes or destinations do you typically travel to? You are based out of Seattle so the AS\DL and to a lesser extent AA are all viable options for you depending on your flight pattern.

Even if DL goes away you are banking the miles to burn. Why not save as many miles as you can to a single program?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrapollinax

Even if DL goes away you are banking the miles to burn. Why not save as many miles as you can to a single program?
Good point. A slight preference can result in earning as many miles to one program but the cuts in the past few years does dampen loyalty.

If one is really trying to earn miles, credit cards are now the way to go, not flights. Because of the potential difficulty getting awards, I don't use airline co-branded credit cards to try to get miles.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Are you close to lifetime status on AA or DL?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
Are you close to lifetime status on AA or DL?
A good thought but no, I am about 200,000 miles short on DL. I don't even want to try for fear of being betrayed.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "average" person should just look at whoever provides the best deal in terms of cost and convenience for a given trip and ignore the FF programs. If you travel infrequently on your own dime, it's very difficult to come out ahead chasing after points rather than simply choosing your flights rationally and ignoring how many points you will earn.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
The "average" person should just look at whoever provides the best deal in terms of cost and convenience for a given trip and ignore the FF programs. If you travel infrequently on your own dime, it's very difficult to come out ahead chasing after points rather than simply choosing your flights rationally and ignoring how many points you will earn.
Yeah. My mom flies a few times a year, checks luggage, isn't into the credit card game, likes Southwest because it serves where she flies to. I couldn't imagine telling her to fly another airline.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah. My mom flies a few times a year, checks luggage, isn't into the credit card game, likes Southwest because it serves where she flies to. I couldn't imagine telling her to fly another airline.
+1 to this
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Southwest Rapid Rewards seems like an honest program to me. You fly them. They have peanuts and a Coke (or juice). The points you get can be redeemed for domestic trips, which are easily available. The major drawback is Southwest doesn't fly to Paris or Sydney or similar international vacation spot.

I have enough Southwest points for a $90 ticket. When I have a $90 fare or save up enough for a $150 ticket, I will redeem it. Simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.