Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Should I have held my sister-in-law's hand more through the booking process?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I have held my sister-in-law's hand more through the booking process?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Sometimes not worth teaching people this stuff unless they show interest and ask you for help. It never works and is a complete waste of time if the other person doesn't actually do their part and commit themselves into this stuff.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Whoa, i wasn't aware that if you book an AA flight through the AS site that you get 100% of the miles. I am assuming you mean after the August change. The AS site does not address this, or am I looking in the wrong place? https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx
Currently all AA flights regardless of website booked on earn 100% of miles flown. The blog post about the AA changes suggested that booking on AS coded earns the same number of miles as an AS flight even if operated by American. The website doesn't seem to reflect this (AS sucks at keeping its website correct these days). However if it counts as AS or AS plus partners thresholds, that is still up for debate.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
Currently all AA flights regardless of website booked on earn 100% of miles flown. The blog post about the AA changes suggested that booking on AS coded earns the same number of miles as an AS flight even if operated by American. The website doesn't seem to reflect this (AS sucks at keeping its website correct these days). However if it counts as AS or AS plus partners thresholds, that is still up for debate.
missydarlin answered in another thread (sorry, on cell so can't easily find it right now!) that AS coded AA operated will earn 100% but will count as partner miles and AA coded AS operated will be at the reduced AA chart rate but count as AS miles.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Here you go

Originally Posted by missydarlin
If you go to Alaskaair.com and buy AS444 SEA-LAX, you will earn based on Alaska earning rates for EQM/RDM. It counts as an AS flight for tier earning (20K/40K/75K levels).

If you went to AA.com and bought the same flight as AA6997 (operated by AS), you will earn at the new AA earning rate for EQM/RDM, but it will count as an Alaska flight for tier earning (20K/40K/75K levels)

If you went to AA.com and an bought AA operated flight, you will earn at the new AA earning rate for EQM/RDM, and it will count as a partner flight for tier earning (25K/50K/90K levels)

If you go to Alaskaair.com and buy the same AA operated flight as ASXXXX, you will earn based on Alaska earning rates for EQM/RDM, but it will count as a partner flight for tier earning (25K/50K/90K levels)
It's from the AA earning changes thread.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mrapollinax
Here you go

OK, too confusing for this old brain.

The flights she booked are AA flights, AA metal, AA operated - just sold on the AS website (they are from PHX to PDX and back, AA 319 and AA 1494. What number of AS miles will she get?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
With that I would expect it to fall into the 4th scenario. Earning would fall under the new AA earning rates as a partner flight.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
OK, too confusing for this old brain.

The flights she booked are AA flights, AA metal, AA operated - just sold on the AS website (they are from PHX to PDX and back, AA 319 and AA 1494. What number of AS miles will she get?
If booked on Alaska's web site, they are likely booked as AS codeshares (obviously operated by AA). AS makes it very difficult to tell whether you have a codeshare or a prime flight, both online and in the eticket receipt (perhaps largely because there are very few contexts in which it matters until Aug 1). If booked as AS-marketed flights, they earn according to the AS earning chart. If booked as AA-marketed flights, they earn according to the AA earning chart.

Because they're operated by AA, they count as partner miles for elite status purposes no matter which airline markets the flight, but that's almost certainly irrelevant for an infrequent flyer (since she won't earn elite status either way).

Note that "AA metal" and "AA operated" is redundant; you haven't said whether they're AA-marketed. AS's web site and eticket receipts put the operating carrier's logo next to each flight, irrespective of the marketing carrier.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
If booked on Alaska's web site, they are likely booked as AS codeshares (obviously operated by AA). AS makes it very difficult to tell whether you have a codeshare or a prime flight, both online and in the eticket receipt (perhaps largely because there are very few contexts in which it matters until Aug 1). If booked as AS-marketed flights, they earn according to the AS earning chart. If booked as AA-marketed flights, they earn according to the AA earning chart.

Because they're operated by AA, they count as partner miles for elite status purposes no matter which airline markets the flight, but that's almost certainly irrelevant for an infrequent flyer (since she won't earn elite status either way).

Note that "AA metal" and "AA operated" is redundant; you haven't said whether they're AA-marketed. AS's web site and eticket receipts put the operating carrier's logo next to each flight, irrespective of the marketing carrier.
On AS's website they have the AA logo next to them.

The itin she sent me reads as follows:

Flight 1 of 2 (AA logo) American 319
(Alaska 1685)
Operated by American Airlines
Check in with American Airlines
Coach (H) - Nonstop

Flight 2 of 2 (AA logo) American 1494
(Alaska 1919)
Coach (H) - Nonstop

She has both an AA confirm # and an AS confirm #
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:50 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I actually shopped for that market just now, and it shows AA319 in the matrix, but once I put it in my cart, it says:

American 319 (Alaska 1685)

So she will definitely earn 100% AS miles for the flight. Her extra $40 is going to some good use.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I actually shopped for that market just now, and it shows AA319 in the matrix, but once I put it in my cart, it says:

American 319 (Alaska 1685)

So she will definitely earn 100% AS miles for the flight. Her extra $40 is going to some good use.
I do feel better now, except she travels so little (mostly on WN) that she probably would have preferred to keep the money, had she known.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
buy the family member a nice (>$40) dinner when she comes to visit, and cut yourself some slack on the guilt trip
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Hey, she's getting a stay in an oceanfront house on the Oregon Coast, all her meals, being chauffeured around, not to mention getting out of the August Arizona heat for a few days - I think she's making out ok!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
missydarlin answered in another thread (sorry, on cell so can't easily find it right now!) that AS coded AA operated will earn 100% but will count as partner miles and AA coded AS operated will be at the reduced AA chart rate but count as AS miles.
Originally Posted by mrapollinax
Here you go

Rg

Thanks. Now all we need AS to do us update their own website. I'm pretty used to errors and inaccurate information on the AS site now a days but not everyone reads Flyertalk. It seems more and more these days, we know more in here how things are supposed to work than many of those who works for AS. Its silly to direct someone back to the website in the blog for more details and no details are actually there.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
On AS's website they have the AA logo next to them.

The itin she sent me reads as follows:

Flight 1 of 2 (AA logo) American 319
(Alaska 1685)
Coach (H) - Nonstop

Flight 2 of 2 (AA logo) American 1494
(Alaska 1919)
Coach (H) - Nonstop

She has both an AA confirm # and an AS confirm #
Emphasis added. That's the one and only indication that it's the codeshare she booked. If it weren't booked as a codeshare, there would be no Alaska flight number affiliated with the reservation. As I noted, AS lists the operating carrier's logo next to each flight even if it's a codeshare marketed by a different airline (usually or always AS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.