Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Converting Alaska credit card to no fee B of A card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN

Wanting to convert my Alaska card to a no fee B of A credit card to maintain my history with them but all that B of A will do is cancel my card. I would then have to reapply for another product and have a credit hit on my credit report, there by limiting my ability to apply with Chase due to the 5/24 rule. Does anyone have experience converting cards with B of A, any ideas?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Wanting to convert my Alaska card to a no fee B of A credit card to maintain my history with them but all that B of A will do is cancel my card. I would then have to reapply for another product and have a credit hit on my credit report, there by limiting my ability to apply with Chase due to the 5/24 rule. Does anyone have experience converting cards with B of A, any ideas?
There are conflicting reports about this. You used to be able to downgrade but some report that as of 2015, BofA will no longer do this without another hard pull. Some have reported success with the business version. When I tried last year, I was told no more conversions or downgrades. In any case, all of the discussion is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...version-3.html
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I asked to be converted to a TravelRewards card about a year ago and had no issues. Did you try to hang up, call again?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by sturges
I asked to be converted to a TravelRewards card about a year ago and had no issues. Did you try to hang up, call again?
From what I read in the other thread, the policy change was late in 2015 so you may have snuck in prior to that. But I think it is a YMMV situation.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I converted a BoA Alaska card to a no Cash Rewards card with no issues 3 weeks ago. No hard pull or other shenanigans.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sturges
Plane to try again, have called 2 times with no luck. Will cancel card before paying unless I get some miles.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Do you not use the companion fare? That usually more than covers the cost of the annual fee.

I don't know what the connection is between having the BofA card and applying for a Chase card?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you apply for a (non-Chase) business cards, that won't limit your ability to apply with Chase. Chase's 5/24 works by looking at cards showing on your credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 2 years. Business cards (in good standing) don't show up on those credit reports, so Chase can't see them (except they can see any business cards they issued themselves, without looking at your credit report, of course).

And you don't really have to have a business to apply for a business card from Amex, or Citi, or BofA. (Chase may be a bit different on that.)

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Do you not use the companion fare? That usually more than covers the cost of the annual fee.

I don't know what the connection is between having the BofA card and applying for a Chase card?
I never have use for a companion fare myself. (I always fly solo. I sometimes do road trips with other people at my destination, but I don't fly with other people.) I cancel each Alaska card by the time the second year AF comes due, and just apply for another one.

So if you hold an Alaska card year to year, that has no impact on Chase. But if you don't find enough value in paying the AF again without 25k or 30k bonus miles to go with it, and thus cancel and get a new one, that's where the impact on Chase is, if you get the personal card. But as I just explained above, there is no impact on Chase if you get a BofA business card, and BofA does issue business Alaska cards (with the same 30k signup bonus, just no $100 credit).

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 26, 2016 at 6:45 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Was successful in converting my AS card to a no fee B of A card. Trick was to call customer service and when option for Offers came up press appropiate number. No problem at all and were happy to keep me. Prior to that it was no way can we do that. Got the Cash Rewards card no annual fee, same line of credit and keep my history with them.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:32 am

close but not quite Alaska conversion

Was successful in converting my AS card to a no fee B of A card. Trick was to call customer service and when option for Offers came up press appropiate number. No problem at all and were happy to keep me. Prior to that it was no way can we do that. Got the Cash Rewards card no annual fee, same line of credit and keep my history with them.
Thanks for this info. Called BofA customer service and selected the My Offers option from the automated service. Spoke with a rep who originally thought I could convert to a no-fee travel rewards card. However, it was then specified that I would still have the annual fee in order to do the conversion to a card with rewards. I asked if there was any option to convert to a card with no annual fee and no rewards, and was told no, I would have to open a new card.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
This is not a very active thread but wanted to give my DP. Called in using number on website and got no dice...convert to another Alaska card or cancel. Tried again following mrlassen's post for guidance using customer phone number on card. Got the agent to convert to Cash rewards card.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

I'll add to the above.

I called in and first try converter Personal Alaska to Cash Rewards.

My wife had to HUCA and got the same done on the second call.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Are we still able to downgrade the AS card?
Requested to convert to Cash Rewards twice but no go.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hightide
Are we still able to downgrade the AS card?
Requested to convert to Cash Rewards twice but no go.
How long have you had the AS card? Most banks don't let you product convert a card that you've had less than a full 12 months.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My unsupported understanding is that you can't product change a BofA partner card to a bank card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.