Wiki Posts
Search

Expanded Service to EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Flights from PDX to EWR bookable today. Late year, early next year are running about $209 each way, and $364 for a confirmed U class Gold upgrade. Not bad, the coach fare is about $20 more than connecting, well worth it.
$20 MORE than connecting? Usually on AS flights, the connection is at least a few $$ more than the non-stop (not less). I'd think twice about paying more for the non-stop where I'm likely to get there a little sooner, but earn less EQMs. On the day I was checking PDX-EWR flights, the non-stop was the cheapest by far....with the new SAN-EWR flight, I really wish SAN could be considered an allowable connection city (like SEA)...as it is now, it's obvious that it breaks the fare and they're essentially charging you a PDX-SAN and SAN-EWR fare combined like they do for the SAN-MCO flight.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
with the new SAN-EWR flight, I really wish SAN could be considered an allowable connection city (like SEA)
It's never going to happen because AS isn't running their airline for the benefit of FT "I'll connect SJC-PDX-SAN-SEA-LAX-ANC-XXX if it gets me a bajillion EQM and RDM" types. SAN isn't a logical connection point for PDX-EWR.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's never going to happen because AS isn't running their airline for the benefit of FT "I'll connect SJC-PDX-SAN-SEA-LAX-ANC-XXX if it gets me a bajillion EQM and RDM" types. SAN isn't a logical connection point for PDX-EWR.
I know...but I can wish, right? Back in my UA days when they use to let you connect just about anywhere, I bought a ticket from DEN-PDX that took me DEN-LAS-PSP-LAX-SFO-PDX
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
What's wrong with broken ticketing - it used to be my bread and butter for UA miles .

Also, it will definitely happen. The SAN-EWR K fare allows connections for only a few dollars more than the cheapest G fare
TRAVEL MUST NOT BE NONSTOP
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SAN-SNA/ONT/LAX/BUR-STS/FAT/BOI/BLI-SEA-PDX-EWR
2. SAN-SEA-PDX-EWR
3. SAN-SJC-SEA-PDX-EWR
4. SAN-SNA/ONT/LAX/BUR-STS/FAT/BOI/BLI-PDX-SEA-EWR
5. SAN-PDX-SEA-EWR
6. SAN-SJC-PDX-SEA-EWR

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 26, 2016 at 12:34 pm Reason: Added fare information
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
What's wrong with broken ticketing - it used to be my bread and butter for UA miles .

Also, it will definitely happen. The SAN-EWR K fare allows connections for only a few dollars more than the cheapest G fare
TRAVEL MUST NOT BE NONSTOP
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SAN-SNA/ONT/LAX/BUR-STS/FAT/BOI/BLI-SEA-PDX-EWR
2. SAN-SEA-PDX-EWR
3. SAN-SJC-SEA-PDX-EWR
4. SAN-SNA/ONT/LAX/BUR-STS/FAT/BOI/BLI-PDX-SEA-EWR
5. SAN-PDX-SEA-EWR
6. SAN-SJC-PDX-SEA-EWR
Does the PDX-EWR K fare have allowable connections other than SEA?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
$20 MORE than connecting? Usually on AS flights, the connection is at least a few $$ more than the non-stop (not less). I'd think twice about paying more for the non-stop where I'm likely to get there a little sooner, but earn less EQMs. On the day I was checking PDX-EWR flights, the non-stop was the cheapest by far....with the new SAN-EWR flight, I really wish SAN could be considered an allowable connection city (like SEA)...as it is now, it's obvious that it breaks the fare and they're essentially charging you a PDX-SAN and SAN-EWR fare combined like they do for the SAN-MCO flight.
I'm with you PDXPremier, but only when it's nearing the end of the year when I (sometimes) need a few extras to make Gold. I do then do a flight or two as needed through SEA to pick up an extra 500 miles for each one. I have also flown to MCO via SAN but then when I did the math figured I only gained 23 miles over PDX/SEA/MCO due to that 500 miles minimum
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:50 pm

Does the PDX-EWR K fare have allowable connections other than SEA?
I didn't look through all, but did look through most [fares] and didn't see anything by direct and via SEA.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I'm with you PDXPremier, but only when it's nearing the end of the year when I (sometimes) need a few extras to make Gold. I do then do a flight or two as needed through SEA to pick up an extra 500 miles for each one. I have also flown to MCO via SAN but then when I did the math figured I only gained 23 miles over PDX/SEA/MCO due to that 500 miles minimum
Problem is, if enough people do this year round then eventually AS wakes up and pulls the 500 mile minimum. I am of the opinion that if you want nonstop service in your market, you better support it by flying on it when it is feasible.

Although I will admit I've done some December mileage running in the past...hence ANC-FAI-ANC-LAX-PDX-SEA to squeak over the 75K threshold on December 30 last year.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Chugach
Problem is, if enough people do this year round then eventually AS wakes up and pulls the 500 mile minimum. I am of the opinion that if you want nonstop service in your market, you better support it by flying on it when it is feasible.
I'm of the opinion that there probably aren't enough people using this "loophole" to boost EQMs that it makes a difference.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by martonikaj
I'm of the opinion that there probably aren't enough people using this "loophole" to boost EQMs that it makes a difference.
I would also guess that most people using this "loophole" may even be paying extra. So I don't think they're crying too much.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:26 am

FYI: It looks like AS is allowing NYC OJ's on awards. Example: SAN-EWR/JFK-XXX!

This is great because it puts some great JFK partner flights in play!

Last edited by Madone59; Aug 4, 2016 at 10:33 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
FYI: It looks like AS is allowing NYC OJ's on awards. Example: SAN-EWR/JFK-XXX!

This is great because it puts some great JFK partner flights in play!
That's not an open-jaw. EWR and JFK are coterminals for NYC. (So is LGA but AS doesn't fly there. Presumably if you were on an AA award ticketed by AS you COULD go XXX-JFK//LGA-YYY.)

This is also nothing new. I've done BKK-HKG-SFO//OAK-SEA when SFO didn't have any flights to SEA on a Sunday afternoon for about a 5 hour span. AS generally allows use of coterminals on awards (most airlines do). I've seen the AS award engine bring up DUS-LCY//LHR-SEA on BA, for instance, because LCY and LHR are coterminals for LON (I would guess LGW is as well)...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:37 pm

That's not an open-jaw. EWR and JFK are coterminals for NYC. (So is LGA but AS doesn't fly there. Presumably if you were on an AA award ticketed by AS you COULD go XXX-JFK//LGA-YYY.)

This is also nothing new. I've done BKK-HKG-SFO//OAK-SEA when SFO didn't have any flights to SEA on a Sunday afternoon for about a 5 hour span. AS generally allows use of coterminals on awards (most airlines do). I've seen the AS award engine bring up DUS-LCY//LHR-SEA on BA, for instance, because LCY and LHR are coterminals for LON (I would guess LGW is as well)...
Well I'm happy about it regardless
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be sure, this gives you some options (though I dunno if they'd let you go SAN-EWR//JFK-NRT/HKG/ICN/PEK over making you drive up to LAX). Should work eastbound to Europe or the ME though.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:25 pm

To be sure, this gives you some options (though I dunno if they'd let you go SAN-EWR//JFK-NRT/HKG/ICN/PEK over making you drive up to LAX). Should work eastbound to Europe or the ME though.
I was looking at USA-DXB options. I have a pre-devaluation mixed C & F EK ticket and want to use my one change wisely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.