Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska-Hainan (HU) Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ALASKA
Alaska-Hainan (HU) Partnership

I flew on a regular return ticket the PEK-SEA segment on an eligible regular HU number flight and on the return I was in "N" class (not listed on the AK Hainan earnings page). I had naively assumed it was an oversight not being on the earnings page and would be at least at the minimum 50% miles on AK. Nope, according to the AK mileage desk (even they had to follow up with Hainan directly to figure it out) Hainan considers it "deeply discounted" and I got zero for flying those 5,408 miles.

Lesson: when dealing with Hainan and Alaska you have to not only read the fine print, but the fine print that's not there.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Out of curiosity how much was the ticket if you don't mind sharing?

Understand if you don't just curious what deeply discounted means.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by paulrjohnson
I flew on a regular return ticket the PEK-SEA segment on an eligible regular HU number flight and on the return I was in "N" class (not listed on the AK Hainan earnings page). I had naively assumed it was an oversight not being on the earnings page and would be at least at the minimum 50% miles on AK. Nope, according to the AK mileage desk (even they had to follow up with Hainan directly to figure it out) Hainan considers it "deeply discounted" and I got zero for flying those 5,408 miles.

Lesson: when dealing with Hainan and Alaska you have to not only read the fine print, but the fine print that's not there.
Thanks for the caution -- that's good to know (and also frustrating).
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:44 pm

The fine print is there (emphasis mine):
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx
To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (HU) must precede the flight number (for example, HU XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass.

Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown, with 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles. No miles will be earned for classes of service not listed above.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

$1700

anc-sea-pek-cgq
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Bought from a regular travel agency, service and all was fine, but a partner relationship ticket should not be like patching together a bunch of separate tickets. The ANC-SEA SEA-ANC segments were on Alaska flights.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Interesting. I looked at a SEA-PEK-SEA for $717 it was Q on the outbound and N on the return. Interestingly enough when i was selecting the individual flights the outbound which earning ($278 Economy Saver) was cheaper than the return that didn't earn ($438 Economy Basic). Saver < Basic
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I stand corrected! The fine print is there at the very bottom... It's even literally much smaller and fainter type. I guess I'm spoiled by Alaska. And the concept of a "partner" relationship.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I've gotta go. Thanks for the quick comments and feedback. You're all awesome.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by paulrjohnson
I've gotta go. Thanks for the quick comments and feedback. You're all awesome.
If you open a new Fortune Wing Account (HU's FFP), you can get your points back and redeem on AS, or you can transfer your points out via points.com.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Airlines love to stretch the definition of "deeply discounted economy" tickets. I'd wager about 25%, maybe 50% of the aircraft in low-yield markets are passengers on these fares. Think R/T for Alaska, O/N/Q for American, V/T for Delta, N/K/L for United. It's a way for airlines to make their FFP members splurge for more expensive fares to get miles.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by keitherson
It's a way for airlines to make their FFP members splurge for more expensive fares to get miles.
You'd think they would make it a bit easier to discover that during purchasing. "Hey, dear Mr. FFP member, I see you are booking an N fare that won't earn you any miles. Wouldn't you rather pay $50 more for a fare that does earn miles?"

Well, I'd think that. And I'd like to see that.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I just always assume that if I buy a revenue ticket on an AS partner, I'm not getting any miles and if I do happen to get any, it's a welcome surprise. I certainly would never buy a partner ticket as a mileage run for AS elite qualification.

For me, the wide variety of AS partners is really a benefit only in terms of award redemption, not miles earning.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
For me, the wide variety of AS partners is really a benefit only in terms of award redemption, not miles earning.
My domestic trips are not long enough to get me to elite status. So I do expect to get something out of partner international travel. Otherwise I might just as well travel with UA where I already have elite status.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I just always assume that if I buy a revenue ticket on an AS partner, I'm not getting any miles and if I do happen to get any, it's a welcome surprise. I certainly would never buy a partner ticket as a mileage run for AS elite qualification.

You certainly don't rely on longhauls (TPAC/TATL) to get elite status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.