Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS LAX transfer Q

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

AS LAX transfer Q

I'm looking at taking AS SEA-LIR via LAX. AS doesn't want to allow a shorter transfer time (52mins) that would make it a single day trip. Any thoughts on if a 7:38AM-8:30AM landing/take off timeline is realistic?

Currently it looks like both parts of the connection are in Terminal 6 (Gate 66 to 65A). I don't want to bank of them being next door, but this seems abundant for a same terminal transfer.

Thoughts?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by dstac
I'm looking at taking AS SEA-LIR via LAX. AS doesn't want to allow a shorter transfer time (52mins) that would make it a single day trip. Any thoughts on if a 7:38AM-8:30AM landing/take off timeline is realistic?

Currently it looks like both parts of the connection are in Terminal 6 (Gate 66 to 65A). I don't want to bank of them being next door, but this seems abundant for a same terminal transfer.

Thoughts?
Should be easy! When are you looking for? I just looked a random day in August and it's allowing a 36 minute connection. Even next week it's 40 minute connection. AS454 arrived LAX@7:40, AS270 leaves at 8:20. Wow, that's an early morning though!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
LAX MCT

The LAX MCT is your issue. Alaska to Alaska Domestic to international connections can't be smaller than 1hr 30, and it is even longer in reverse (see below).

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.10 1.30 2.00 2.00
OFFLINE 1.10 1.30 2.00 2.00

Your intuition is correct, both flights will operate out of T6 but you never know when IROPS will pop up and wreck the day. Flying on two O/W tickets to try to cut down the connection time can be done but is a risky. Maybe try calling and having a agent book it by hand??
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
The LAX MCT is your issue. Alaska to Alaska Domestic to international connections can't be smaller than 1hr 30, and it is even longer in reverse (see below).

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.10 1.30 2.00 2.00
OFFLINE 1.10 1.30 2.00 2.00

Your intuition is correct, both flights will operate out of T6 but you never know when IROPS will pop up and wreck the day. Flying on two O/W tickets to try to cut down the connection time can be done but is a risky. Maybe try calling and having a agent book it by hand??
That doesn't make sense. Itinerary I listed above is far less than 1.30, and available on alaskaair.com. Also found D/D connections ~40.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
That doesn't make sense. Itinerary I listed above is far less than 1.30, and available on alaskaair.com. Also found D/D connections ~40.
I completely agree with you. I did some more digging and test bookings . I definitely I think OP should call if they haven't already and see what a agent will book for them.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Flying on two O/W tickets to try to cut down the connection time can be done but is a risky. Maybe try calling and having a agent book it by hand??
2xO/W is what I was thinking, but agent booking is a good idea too.

Regarding timeline, I was looking at 9/20, specifically. Though the current times are a little concerning.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I completely agree with you. I did some more digging and test bookings .
Okay, now it's popping up. Not sure what I was doing before, but I'll take the long day now that it's available.

Sorry & thanks for the encouragement to keep trying.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:39 pm

Definitely take what you can get ^. That LAX AS to AS MCT is odd, maybe EF is just out of date.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely take what you can get ^. That LAX AS to AS MCT is odd, maybe EF is just out of date.
Don't have EF access, but I suspect the MCT above is the generic one for LAX and not the specific one for AS-AS connections. The AS-AS specific MCT is likely shorter. I know the DL-DL MCT for D-D and D-I connections is only 35 minutes at LAX.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I would be more concerned about a delayed landing into LAX due to runway congestion. All my recent flights via LAX have had long taxi times due to the on-going runaway construction.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Don't have EF access, but I suspect the MCT above is the generic one for LAX and not the specific one for AS-AS connections. The AS-AS specific MCT is likely shorter.
@:-)@:-) I tried a few other combinations and you are right. Odd, because EF is typically accurate.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:05 pm

I completely agree with you. I did some more digging and test bookings . I definitely I think OP should call if they haven't already and see what a agent will book for them.
Interesting though, I can't get those flights to come up on other travel sites, specifically Expedia and Google flights. With regards to the Op's concern, of everything is running on time, which it generally is on first flights of the day, the connection is easy, probably not more than 5 minute walk to the next gate. Lax is easy to connect in.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:02 pm

Alaska's Domestic to International online connect time at LAX is :30

AS-AS DI .50 CANADA - ALL
AS-AS DI .30

It's a legal conx. A 1:30 conx is to partner and interline carriers.

Source: Expertflyer
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
All my recent flights via LAX have had long taxi times due to the on-going runaway construction.
Ever since AS moved to T6 taxi times have been ridiculous. I am giddy when we land/depart on the south complex (landing on the south is rare, takeoffs aren't as rare these days).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
@:-)@:-) I tried a few other combinations and you are right. Odd, because EF is typically accurate.
EF is accurate. You just have to scroll down to see the list of exceptions. Half way down it says this:
Code:
AS-AS DI   .30

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.