Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
I pull up the app as soon as they open the door to get the official arrived time. Then when I get to baggage claim, if my bag hasn't shown up by 20 minutes later as noted on the airport monitor, I head right for the baggage office to get my voucher. Might as well get it while I'm still waiting on my bag.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:34 pm

I'm usually the only one around claiming the cert. Have gotten it a few times at IAH, once each at BLI and KOA. Folks either don't know (most) or don't care (some).
Old May 24, 2016, 8:51 pm

claimed my first one over a week ago off of a delayed OGG-SJC flight. Only one or two other people in the office. It's a bit out of the way in San Jose relative to where the carousel is.

-David
Old May 24, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
In the past two years I've received it twice. Once at BWI and once at SEA. Like others, I time it and am never too rushed to grab a voucher if they fail to perform as promised. I find the policy a good one as it gives them a reasonable target and they are making goal more often than not on my flights.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
LAX and SEA are the "best" places to earn certs.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I've gotten the certificate at ANC, PDX, and IAH. At ANC, people will actually set the timers on their phones as soon as the door opens at the gate.

Don't keep Alaskans from our miles...
Old May 25, 2016, 9:49 am

Perhaps Alaska will abolish the benefit because nobody's using it.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
While Delta's offering the same guarantee now too? No way in hell.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AS
This is exactly why it will probably be around for awhile. Why remove a feature that highlights the spirit of Alaska when it is not costing them that much?
Old May 25, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
I routinely request via DM on Twitter giving the flight # and amount of time late. They are always great about adding the miles. This saves having to track down the baggage agent and then filling in the form.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Seems like a win-win to me from their perspective.

More people like me that never checked a bag for decades now check bags on Alaska, freeing up space in the cabin, and they get kudos for doing something nobody else was doing and get marketing points for it and it doesn't cost them a lot to offer the bonus. How bad is that?

-David
Old May 27, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
You might be surprised how little most folks pay attention to this kind of thing.
And then there are those that set their smart (and in one case dumb) phone as a stop watch the minute the aircraft door opens and are walking to the claim counter as the last few seconds click down. Granted, they are within their right, but still.......
Old May 28, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Quattro
I routinely request via DM on Twitter giving the flight # and amount of time late. They are always great about adding the miles. This saves having to track down the baggage agent and then filling in the form.
+1 (Though I've only had Alaska miss the 20 minutes once.) I much prefer making the request by Twitter to wasting more time waiting in line to get it at the baggage office; why would anyone do something like this in person when you don't have to?
Old May 28, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ashill
+1 (Though I've only had Alaska miss the 20 minutes once.) I much prefer making the request by Twitter to wasting more time waiting in line to get it at the baggage office; why would anyone do something like this in person when you don't have to?
I claimed a few 2K miles by tweeting the Twitter team but there have been a few cases where they would tell me to go to the baggage office.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I claimed a few 2K miles by tweeting the Twitter team but there have been a few cases where they would tell me to go to the baggage office.
Also, if you prefer to have the $25 exert, you're better off getting the actual voucher since they typically go with the miles option if you email or Twitter after the fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.