Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
We need Qatar as the next partner. They have had some excellent prices to Asia from BOS.
Not likely considering AS already partners with EK.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This topped my Mileage Plan wishlist. JAL has been my most enjoyable long haul carrier.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AC 75K
Always nice to see another MP partner out of YVR! ^
Old May 10, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What welcome news! I look forward to flying aboard the only major Asian airline I've yet to fly - hopefully in First Class. ^^
Old May 10, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
!

Very happy to see this news, even without JL service at SEA. It'll be great to have a convenient partner option for destinations like CTS and OKA.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Not sure how much premium class award redemption aboard partner airlines is worth to a FFP or its members, but in this regard EK is essentially a non-entity with the new redemption levels.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
You do know that Qantas is both a partner with EK and QR, right? In fact, the cooperation between EK and QF are likely closer than even QR and QF.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What welcome news! I look forward to flying aboard the only major Asian airline I've yet to fly - hopefully in First Class. ^^
I am fine with this as long as AS finally does something about CC churners or it is likely that JL will put restrictions on AS miles redemption because the Japanese aren't stupid. In fact, the proposed June 29 FFP tie up date has now been moved to TBD per JALPak.

Merely having AS mileage redemption level equal or similar to AA is not sufficient even though that's likely what it will happen as AS Mileage Plan will undoubtedly revise its award redemption costs in the near future, given the known problem within AS Mileage Plan as publicly acknowledged by AS itself. They ought to put additional restrictions in place (e.g. no partner award redemption at all for people who received more than two CC welcome bonus within a 36 months period).
Old May 10, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Always nice to see another MP partner out of YVR! ^
+1
Old May 10, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Guava
You do know that Qantas is both a partner with EK and QR, right? In fact, the cooperation between EK and QF are likely closer than even QR and QF.

I am fine with this as long as AS finally does something about CC churners or it is likely that JL will put restrictions on AS miles redemption because the Japanese aren't stupid. In fact, the proposed June 29 FFP tie up date has now been moved to TBD per JALPak.

Merely having AS mileage redemption level equal or similar to AA is not sufficient even though that's likely what it will happen as AS Mileage Plan will undoubtedly revise its award redemption costs in the near future, given the known problem within AS Mileage Plan as publicly acknowledged by AS itself. They ought to put additional restrictions in place (e.g. no partner award redemption at all for people who received more than two CC welcome bonus within a 36 months period).
It would be so easy for AS to fix both of these issues. Annual cap on mileage purchases and limit credit card bonus to those who have not had the product in 24 months. Just like every other carrier. They need to do the same with the status match program. AS does this stuff to itself not those taking advantage.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Awesome news - I'm in the JL > CX camp on almost all counts (except lounges)! Hopefully they'll allow for routings to Australia (like with CX) but even if not this is a great option for Asia
Old May 10, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I'm really excited about this. I had found getting to Japan harder than it needed to be from a reward perspective (paying the DL premium wasn't what I wanted to do).

More options from the west coast to Asia is great news!

I don't think JAL's C seat on the 788 is that great, but it's pretty easy to book away from those.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Yes! Great news AS!
Old May 10, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I don't think JAL's C seat on the 788 is that great, but it's pretty easy to book away from those.
Having never flown on the 787, what is wrong with it? Is it the width?
Old May 10, 2016, 1:25 pm

Awesome news!
YVR +1

MP is really one of best programs for members residing in YVR,

CX,KE,JL,AF,KL,BA,AM,AA,AS,DL are all Alaska's partners. LOL
Old May 10, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
This is awesome! Just last week I was wishing JAL was a partner. Thanks AS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.