Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
BA awards have HUGE fuel surcharges. No wonder there are plenty available. Who wants to pay those surcharges that can be as high as a regular ticket??!
You don't have a choice if you are in BA Executive Club. And surprisingly a lot of people who fly BA are... and JL still has award seats.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You don't have a choice if you are in BA Executive Club.
Choice of what?
You can redeem Avios for economy class flights which can be a very good value.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Choice of what?
Choice of whether or not to have fuel surcharges on most awards.

You can redeem Avios for economy class flights which can be a very good value.
... in the United States. Which doesn't do much good for someone living in London who doesn't want to fly shorthaul on AA/AS.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:01 am

Would love to see ANC - NRT. Easy 7 hour flights to Asia would make my year.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by desafino
Would love to see ANC - NRT. Easy 7 hour flights to Asia would make my year.

Remember, this is FlyerTalk. There are many FTers who likely would complain, "Seven hours just isn't long enough to really appreciate a first class cabin!"

They would then proceed to book a repositioning flight to the Lower 48 to maximize the time in international first class while in the air.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:39 am
Suspended

... in the United States. Which doesn't do much good for someone living in London who doesn't want to fly shorthaul on AA/AS.
This summer I flew AB BOS-DUS in J for 60,000 Avios and $100.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This summer I flew AB BOS-DUS in J for 60,000 Avios and $100.
Go look at the BA forum, why don't you? Surprisingly, many of those people use Avios to redeem on BA. And CX. And JL. Not just AB. Even though it's pretty expensive. They're not all going to come whooshing over to AS and give up BA Gold/GGL/etc. just because JL can be redeemed on AS.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Called in yesterday to make a reservation change, and they had no problem adding my AS MP# to the res. ^
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Remember, this is FlyerTalk. There are many FTers who likely would complain, "Seven hours just isn't long enough to really appreciate a first class cabin!"

They would then proceed to book a repositioning flight to the Lower 48 to maximize the time in international first class while in the air.
Lol...I would be one of those people......if I'm going to cough up all the miles for an international J or F redemption, I'm going to want to maximum my time as much as possible--after all, I'm not just trying to get from point A to point B, I'm trying to create a fun, relaxing, and enjoyable travel experience.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Lol...I would be one of those people......if I'm going to cough up all the miles for an international J or F redemption, I'm going to want to maximum my time as much as possible--after all, I'm not just trying to get from point A to point B, I'm trying to create a fun, relaxing, and enjoyable travel experience.
...especially if its a new route
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Then why not take a cruise ship if you're trying to maximize your time in travel and comfort? You get a REAL bed. The food isn't blast chilled and then reheated. Fancy wine tastes better at sea level (pretty much everything does, actually). You can take a shower that's longer than 5 minutes, and there are no swimming pools or sundecks on plane like there are on cruise ships...

I mostly take complicated itineraries out of necessity ("this is the award inventory, you get what you get") plus "I'd like to be comfortable" on awards, not out of desire. Assuming TG started flying SEA-BKK nonstop and there was C/J award inventory and a lie-flat, I'd be there in a heartbeat and only flying 15 hours, over flying CX F SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK 24+ hours. Yes, Pier F is nice. So is a Bangkok hotel bed. And the last time I did CX F SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK, there were delays on both SEA-LAX and HKG-BKK, the first of which could have blown my entire travel day to smithereens if it had gone about 45 minutes longer...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Go look at the BA forum, why don't you? Surprisingly, many of those people use Avios to redeem on BA. And CX. And JL. Not just AB. Even though it's pretty expensive. They're not all going to come whooshing over to AS and give up BA Gold/GGL/etc. just because JL can be redeemed on AS.
So? Nobody forces them to collect Avios.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So? Nobody forces them to collect Avios.
My point is people DO want to collect Avios and DO pay those surcharges to fly JL (among other airlines).

I find your assertion that a much smaller AS program is going to suddenly suck out all the JL award inventory just because there aren't fuel surcharges entirely risible. JL has had award inventory available to all of OW for years now. They still have award seats. One more partner (that isn't that large compared to the mass of OW) isn't going to mess it all up.

Case in point: when US joined OW prior to the AA/US merger, JL inventory didn't disappear- and US had, surprisingly enough, even better award rules to exploit than AS does, such as an RTW routing allowed on certain awards (as well as YQ-free BA redemptions for a month or two). US was a much larger airline than AS is now. US also was even more notorious about selling miles cheap to anyone with a pulse than AS was.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:40 pm
Suspended

I think you misunderstand. My point was that the other programs (like Aadvantage) might suck all JL award inventory, such that nothing's left for MileagePlan.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:04 pm

AAdvantage and Avios have been partners for years (and seats are still readily available)

Your comments make even less sense in that context.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.