Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Board Room Membership - To Renew or Not Renew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 12:11 am
Original Poster

My renewal date approaches and I'm getting informal contradictory feedback re: my best option if my goal is to have personal (non-guest) access to Alaska and American clubs, both before departing and after arriving. Some tell me I'm much better off with Citi prestige card (featuring the priority pass club access). Others say "stick with the Board Room". Has anyone evaluated options lately? Are other cards even better?
Old May 5, 2016, 2:00 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Are you usually flying AA or AS? Prestige only gets you into Admirals Clubs with a same day AA boarding pass. AS doesn't care with the Priority Pass. I've never even considered a board room membership, but am quite happy with my Prestige, especially given the price differential after factoring in the Prestige airline credit.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
In addition to AA, the Prestige's Priority Pass lets you into PP lounges anywhere in the world. While not perfect, it's a pretty extensive network.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I don't see the value of a straight BR membership when a Citi Prestige card gives PP access (much wider selection of lounges) and your net cost per year after the $250 airline credit will only be $200 ($450 AF - $250 airline credit).

Neil
Old May 5, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
I don't see the value of a straight BR membership when a Citi Prestige card gives PP access (much wider selection of lounges) and your net cost per year after the $250 airline credit will only be $200 ($450 AF - $250 airline credit).

Neil
+1 here. Dropped my BR membership for a Prestige + PP, no looking back.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I've considered the Citi Prestige, but I currently use the Admirals Club too frequently when flying AS that it would diminish the benefit. Also, I like using my finger print to access the Board Room

So I'll probably renew my BR membership this summer.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Note also that PP gets you into international class lounges (albeit somewhat small ones). Although often not in the same terminal you are leaving from, it is sometimes worth the trip and you get premium beverages complimentary.

For example for me I was travelling often with United out of IAH and could go to the KLM lounge which was a short walk from the E gates.

At DFW, when on AS, I get dropped off at D to use the lounge there and it is sometimes worth the short train trip to the gate.... even closer now to the new AS gates since no tunnel to walk. Beware at DFW there are some days they use a small substitute lounge which is quite cramped. Certainly not of the quality of an Admiral lounge but you do get free premium bevs if that is appealing.

Best to look at the airports you frequent and evaluate your options when on AS and no Board Room available.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:38 pm

I am another one who goes the Prestige card route. This is a great card for a number of reasons and for my effective $200 a year I am also getting an occasional 4th hotel night free to easily pay for it. The boardroom pass just doesn't seem worth it to me when I can use the boardroom with priority pass. The only downside does seem to be no admission to the Admirals club if you are only flying AS. Priority pass does have some other lounges although it depends on the airport if they are feasible. I use the Air France lounge at IAD and it is walkable to the AS gate.

So if you really want Admirals club when flying AS and there is no priority pass alternative that you will be happy with, renew the Boardroom. Otherwise the Prestige card makes more sense.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I went with the AMEX Plat once as discontinued using the BR if not traveling (I'd guest in folks if dropping off/ picking up). PP access for 1 (minus) but AMEX Centurion Lounge Access (plus) and Airspace (plus). And AMEX Customer Service has taken care of me a couple times
Old May 5, 2016, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dmodemd
At DFW, when on AS, I get dropped off at D to use the lounge there and it is sometimes worth the short train trip to the gate.... even closer now to the new AS gates since no tunnel to walk. Beware at DFW there are some days they use a small substitute lounge which is quite cramped. Certainly not of the quality of an Admiral lounge but you do get free premium bevs if that is appealing.
The DFW contract lounges are among the most basic I have ever experienced. Your mention of the free mid-shelf liquor is about their only attraction. The rumor is that DFW wants to renovate the space to upgrade the offerings.

For someone who transits airports that house an Centurion Lounge (with IAH added soon and LAX and possibly ORD later), an Amex Platinum card is a much better investment than the somewhat-overhyped Citi Prestige card. As noted, it also offers PP, albeit for one, and the CLs are the best domestic lounges available.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
With the loss of the DL Sky Clubs in December, the value of my Bored Room membership fell by 80% plus and I have already decided that I will not be renewing my membership after decades there. I will research the CC options to see which fits my flying habits before it lapses in April.

It is all about my flying patterns. For the places I travel for work and leisure, DL worked more often that not. AA does not fill the bill even 20% of the time. Either they do not have a club or it is in an inaccessible terminal from where AS flies from.

Location, location, location
Old May 5, 2016, 10:44 pm

Between the Ritz Carlton Visa, AmEx Plat, and Prestige, you have several good options for the less than the price of a boardroom membership that also comes with numerous other benefits. If you fly Delta much, go with the Plat, if AA, go with the Prestige, if you want to feel like a boss when you drop a solid steel card out at dinner, go with the RC
Old May 6, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Great feedback here. Thanks. I am leaning to Citi prestige and PP. One other observation - subject to confirmation by those in the know...... I fly out of SFO frequently on Alaska. I find the Cathay lounge (used by Board Room members) to be "not great" in that unless you use it late at night (before the Cathay flights) there is really very little food and it's not convenient to the gates. I believe with PP I'd have access to the Air France lounge - which is a little closer to the Alaska gates.....AND I ASSUME A PRETTY GOOD CLUB AT SFO?
Old May 6, 2016, 11:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I use the AF lounge all the time in SFO. It is very close to Alaska's gates. Free booze, decent sandwiches, yummy brownies, and stale pretzels. The biggest downside is the wifi isn't great.

But the seats are comfy and it's close to the gate.

Neil
Old May 6, 2016, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by missamo80
I use the AF lounge all the time in SFO. It is very close to Alaska's gates. Free booze, decent sandwiches, yummy brownies, and stale pretzels. The biggest downside is the wifi isn't great.

But the seats are comfy and it's close to the gate.

Neil
Whereas the SFO AMEX Centurion lounge is in a different terminal, but has *real* food, and a nice bar (excellent bartenders as well) plus a shower.

Yeah I stopped in the SFO AF/KL lounge but it left much to be desired. OK for a quick stop I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.