Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Earning miles for QF flights - must be on QF ticket stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 2:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hello all
I notice on the AS website, there seems to be a condition that earning miles on QF has to be on QF ticket stock - it actually refers to AM ticket stock so clearly a copy and paste or typo? Does anyone have any experience with this.

Two situations that I am hoping to earn AS miles on
- QF code and QF operated flight as part of on an LX long haul ticket ex Australia - fine to credit the QF flight to AS?
- QF code and QF operated flight on an AA issued oneworld round the world ticket?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2016, 2:50 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I think that may be a copy and paste error - the AM page specifies that flights must be operated, marketed, and ticketed by AM; QF doesn't have the ticketing language.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Many thanks Tonei - I'll keep you posted on how it transpires with the points
Old May 3, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
I notice on the AS website, there seems to be a condition that earning miles on QF has to be on QF ticket stock - it actually refers to AM ticket stock so clearly a copy and paste or typo? Does anyone have any experience with this.

- QF code and QF operated flight as part of on an LX long haul ticket ex Australia - fine to credit the QF flight to AS?
- QF code and QF operated flight on an AA issued oneworld round the world ticket?

Thanks!
I kind of doubt the LX ticket will work since AS doesn't partner with LX...
Old May 3, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL DM, UA Gold, & Marriott Ambassador
Hello all

Thanks!
FWIW -- I've successfully posted miles in a situation like your second example -- no problem at all.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Officially it needs to be marketed by the operating carrier but in practice as long is its a partner that is marketing carrier and the operating carrier is also partner (and in the proper fare buckets) you will likely get miles whether automatically or a manual request.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Officially it needs to be marketed by the operating carrier but in practice as long is its a partner that is marketing carrier and the operating carrier is also partner (and in the proper fare buckets) you will likely get miles whether automatically or a manual request.
Which is why I doubt the LX ticket will work...
Old May 3, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Which is why I doubt the LX ticket will work...
Just to clarify, LX tickets from Australia allow QF, CX and other non-Star Alliance airlines to be included. The QF and CX flights are booked using QF and CX flight numbers and not code-share. As such, the QF flight in question is booked using the QF code and, as such, is booked, marketed and operated as a QF flight number. It is just not issued on QF ticket stock. I find it hard to believe that ticket stock will be an issue as if only QF ticket stock is permitted, then you would not be able to earn miles on oneworld Global Explorer fares issued by, for example, AA. Even AS itself participates in the Global Explorer fare.

Last edited by leroy11; May 3, 2016 at 5:27 pm Reason: Added more detail to initital post
Old May 3, 2016, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to clarify, LX tickets from Australia allow QF, CX and other non-Star Alliance airlines to be included. The QF and CX flights are booked using QF and CX flight numbers and not code-share. As such, the QF flight in question is booked using the QF code and, as such, is booked, marketed and operated as a QF flight number. It is just not issued on QF ticket stock. I find it hard to believe that ticket stock will be an issue as if only QF ticket stock is permitted, then you would not be able to earn miles on oneworld Global Explorer fares issued by, for example, AA. Even AS itself participates in the Global Explorer fare.
As long as there is an interline agreement you can put whatever carrier you want on a ticket, it doesn't mean anything. Although please report back if you earn miles or not since we an only find out what is an isn't allowed. There just haven't been any reports on FT of people crediting non partner plated tickets to AS.

There are some issues with the AS Site since they redesigned the partner pages. For instance on the Qantas Page the mention of AM ticket stock is just an operator error and it should say:

To ensure flight credit, the two-letter airline code (QF) must precede the flight number (for example, QF XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass, and the ticket must be issued on Qantas ticket stock.
Make sure you save boarding passes and receipts in case you need to send in a manual request.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it hard to believe that ticket stock will be an issue as if only QF ticket stock is permitted
That's not what I said. The problem is the ticket is issued on the stock of a non-AS partner. In your other example, AA is an AS partner. LX is not. That is the problem.

In theory, you can issue a UA flight on AS ticket stock via interline. Good luck getting that UA flight credited to AS Mileage Plan, though.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The problem is the ticket is issued on the stock of a non-AS partner.
Stock is seldom a concern.

I've flown UA-issued tickets on AA flights and credited to AS without issue. Same with UA-issued tickets on DL flights, and credited to AS.

Coding is the concern.

Is it only AM that has the ticket stock notation? I wonder why that is.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:35 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I've made a diary note to ensure I update the thread in mid June with the outcome.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Stock is seldom a concern.

I've flown UA-issued tickets on AA flights and credited to AS without issue. Same with UA-issued tickets on DL flights, and credited to AS.

Coding is the concern.

Is it only AM that has the ticket stock notation? I wonder why that is.
They copied and pasted a template and forgot to chance the wording for each airline. Just replace the AM with whatever airlines page you are on.

Good to know about stock. Yea UA sells connecting flights on non partner airlines including Alaska. they would rather put some revenue on another carrier than lose a sale.

I do think AS needs to lose the whole wording about stock and marketing carrier and stick with operated by a partner. Its possible they just list it as a general disclaimer for any time they decide they don't want to issue miles
Old May 4, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, AS/DL/Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by CDKing
FWIW I had no luck with that in practice with DL/AF 2 years ago.

I had DL-marketed, AF-operated segments DTW-CDG-CMN as part of a larger trip booked in (dirt-cheap) "V" class on DL. AS said no dice on the mileage for the AF-operated flights when I requested manually. The DL segments of the trip credited normally.

Lesson learned: don't book low fare classes if you need the miles.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by KSEA
FWIW I had no luck with that in practice with DL/AF 2 years ago.

I had DL-marketed, AF-operated segments DTW-CDG-CMN as part of a larger trip booked in (dirt-cheap) "V" class on DL. AS said no dice on the mileage for the AF-operated flights when I requested manually. The DL segments of the trip credited normally.

Lesson learned: don't book low fare classes if you need the miles.
At that time I think the cheaper fare classes on KL earned a fat goose egg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.