Consume your own alcohol?

Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Consume your own alcohol?

Starting last week, I've noticed that the pre-flight announcements include an admonition that per FAA rules, passengers are not permitted to consume their own alcohol on the flight. This has been consistent on 3-4 flights, and I don't remember ever hearing it before last week.

Is this new? Were there any recent incidents that triggered the updated language? And, most importantly, what am I now supposed to do with all my quart-sized bags packed full of mini bottles?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
You drink them once you get to your destination (beats those mini-bar fees). Does anyone still do minibars?

However, I believe this has always been a Federal Aviation Regulation.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I thought the reg was that it had to be served by an FA, not that it couldn't be your own.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
14CFR 121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(a) No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

You are correct unless there's a very recent update.

The statement heard by the OP may indicate it's Alaska's policy not to serve anything it hasn't catered.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Fair, but why is Alaska now announcing it before every flight? There has to be a pretty good story behind it...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Travero
Fair, but why is Alaska now announcing it before every flight? There has to be a pretty good story behind it...
Probably has something to do with the fact that you can buy a growler or bottle of wine behind security at quite a few AS airports. Since traveling increases the stupidity quotient of many people, my guess is somebody thought it would be a great idea to uncork a bottle somewhere over Alturas.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I asked my FA about this on my flight last week. It's new within the last month because they had numerous cases in a row where people were drinking alcohol they snuck onboard and causing a ruckus.

Neil
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by missamo80
I asked my FA about this on my flight last week. It's new within the last month because they had numerous cases in a row where people were drinking alcohol they snuck onboard and causing a ruckus.

Neil
my bad again, everybody
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:25 pm
Original Member

I started hearing this announcement on flights in mid-March, always gets a chuckle which also indicates those actually listening.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Yes, I'd noticed that this is new on my past few flights. I did overhear two FAs on my SEA-ORD flight this morning discussing how this was new...they were also talking about the "no plugging things into the inflight power during take off and landing" announcement though I didn't get the context.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Also noticed this on my AS flights of the last few weeks. I think the announcement is new (on AS), but the rule is not.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil

Maybe if they didn't charge 8 bucks for a mini that cost them 50 cents, people would be less inclined to bring stuff on board. Just sayin'...
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Yes, I'd noticed that this is new on my past few flights. I did overhear two FAs on my SEA-ORD flight this morning discussing how this was new...they were also talking about the "no plugging things into the inflight power during take off and landing" announcement though I didn't get the context.
your iPad or phone power cord can apparently pose a tripping hazard when it extends across the space between your seat and the seat in front to plug into the power receptacle ... of course this is moot if the device is in the seat back pocket, or the receptacle is at your seat, but it's easier to just impose a blanket restriction
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Maybe if they didn't charge 8 bucks for a mini that cost them 50 cents, people would be less inclined to bring stuff on board. Just sayin'...
Yeah, that's why I bring my own beer to bars too. I can't stand paying $8 for a pint when I can get a bottle from the store for a couple of bucks.

Neil
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: All the Programs...
Originally Posted by jrl767
your iPad or phone power cord can apparently pose a tripping hazard when it extends across the space between your seat and the seat in front to plug into the power receptacle ... of course this is moot if the device is in the seat back pocket, or the receptacle is at your seat, but it's easier to just impose a blanket restriction
IIRC that Apple device (I don't remember if it was an iPhone or iPad) had the battery explode in it during take off or landing recently too... It wasn't during cruise...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.