Search

Consume your own alcohol?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bigbirdwithsilverwings
Funny and informative post.
This is why I require all of my flights to never be more than 20NM from a first world airport!
So T3rdWorld at LAX doesn't count?
Old May 3, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
you paid $950 round trip per ticket for a 4 hour flight? Wow. I'm a little surprised that a round trip, First Class ticket on a 4 hour flight is so cheap to be honest. And I don't mean that to belittle your concern. I really expected that it was more. I remember when it was that much to go one way on a full coach fare ticket from Chicago to Dallas. It was crazy expensive. Anyway, yes, I would agree, a different scotch whiskey would be nice. And I appreciate that you aren't breaking the CFR's. Actually, what I appreciate more is that you aren't interested in putting the Flight Attendant in an awkward position. Thank you.
I thought $1900 was a lot for F--- PDX to ORD in the middle of January. (Though of course AS Flyer is right that in the bad old days, it would have been even more but then fuel was a lot more expensive too). If I remember right, coach in ALK and UAL in 1/16 for these flights was less than $400 RT.

I'm pretty sure that my son and I were in a very small minority of having paid for the seats. I do not believe in violating Federal law-be it the CFRs or a subpart of the CFRs, the FARs---lots of acronyms out there! And thank you AS Flyer for your kind comments and recognizing that in today's world, the Flight Attendants already have a tough road to hoe, and there is no way I would make it more difficult for a professional to do their job.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Unhappy

Since we're sharing stories- I recall one from my early days on FT ex-ANC and a sloper that had a bit much. Yes they were deplaned. This may have happened a couple times now that I think about it, at least once with a fellow FT'er onboard.

Boarding normal thus far tonight on AS136 ^
Old May 5, 2016, 1:29 pm

I heard this announcement yesterday and asked the passenger next to me if that meant he could drink my booze and I could drink his.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Recently my Grandson thought he could buy a growler of Silver Gulch at ANC to drink onboard. After he woke up from my attempt to beat some sense into him (just kidding!!) I made him realize that he could spend serious time in jail for his unwise attempt. I am sure he had a few prior to boarding but made it to his destination without incident.^^

He is a quick learner...others...notsomuch
Old May 6, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Alaska, and most U.S. airlines, won't serve a passenger their own alcohol.
Back before the 3 oz liquid rule, my family would frequently bring bottles of wine on board flights. We would always request a flight attendant serve the bottle, and more often than not they thought it was a lovely idea. I do not think we were ever refused service.

Now---our main airlines were Southwest and United, so AS might have different rules.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Back before the 3 oz liquid rule, my family would frequently bring bottles of wine on board flights. We would always request a flight attendant serve the bottle, and more often than not they thought it was a lovely idea. I do not think we were ever refused service.

Now---our main airlines were Southwest and United, so AS might have different rules.
I know Jet Blue will allow you to drink your own as long as they serve it. As far as I'm aware, Southwest and United both do not do this per their policy. If someone did it as a courtesy, against company policy, that was a bonus for you. I've seen a co-worker at Alaska tell a passenger they would allow them to drink their own liquor as long as they served it to them, but that's against the company policy.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
AA still allows you to bring your own booze in for FAs to serve to you, but only in premium cabins. I bought some Glenmorangie in Duty Free and it came with 3 mini "samplers" - had two to myself and turns out the FA was a scotch aficionado too so I gave her the third.

I honestly think that it should be ok to bring your own booze in as long as it's revenue neutral to the airline. I regularly bring my own wine to restaurants but expect to pay quite a bit for corkage.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:42 pm

Unfortunately, as I have seen many statements from flyers lately that there is no real PDB offered, besides water, maybe this is why folks have been sneaking the little bottles onboard
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by niele
Unfortunately, as I have seen many statements from flyers lately that there is no real PDB offered, besides water, maybe this is why folks have been sneaking the little bottles onboard
because they're so desperate for alcohol they need to do this?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
because they're so desperate for alcohol they need to do this?
Or they're desperate for first class service that is up to the level offered by other carriers.

Other carriers provide blankets, pillows, and TV monitors. On AS you have to bring your own blanket, pillow, and tablet. It would follow that pax would bring their own PDB as well, no?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by channa
Or they're desperate for first class service that is up to the level offered by other carriers.

Other carriers provide blankets, pillows, and TV monitors. On AS you have to bring your own blanket, pillow, and tablet. It would follow that pax would bring their own PDB as well, no?
The logic here is really weak
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The logic here is really weak
How so?

It's just another gap between AS's F service and its competitors.

Someone else even mentioned it in another thread, which was incidentally about yet another gap in service between AS's F service and the other guys.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
Originally Posted by Travero
Is this new?

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...5?OpenDocument
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by channa
How so?

It's just another gap between AS's F service and its competitors.

Someone else even mentioned it in another thread, which was incidentally about yet another gap in service between AS's F service and the other guys.
I'm not saying that the F service couldn't stand improvement but trying to justify violating a CFR by saying that it's because AS doesn't provide PDB service isn't worth even discussing. If the F service doesn't meet your expectations then let the company know. You can do that in several ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.