Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Question Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Welcome to the 2016 (post-devaluation) version of the Emirates availability/booking/routing thread!

Just a quick heads up--we've moved all of the meta-discussion about the new Emirates award prices themselves to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...no-notice.html

Please consolidate all discussion about the new award rates there.

This thread can continue to be used for discussion about award availability, booking procedures, and routing rules for Emirates award on AS.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Last edited by jackal; Apr 1, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:42 pm

Question Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread (2016 edition)

I'm trying to get JFK-MXP in late July- August. I'm booking with JAL so not effected by the recent AS deval. I'm trying to decode the econ availability on expert flyer. There is Econ Saver and Econ Partner Availability. There is no availability at all in the month of August except for a few days that show partner availability in economy for the MXP-JFK route. But when I cross reference those dates against AS site or emirates sites, I'm not seeing the same availability. Are these actually bookable with JAL miles?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I have a quick question. I apologize if this is already answered upthread.

I have an itinerary booked for LAX-DXB (in F) and DXB-JNB (in J). I feel very lucky to have this booked at the old price of 100K miles.

If first opens up on my DXB-JNB flight, can I upgrade to F without charge, or would that cost another 100K?

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Peridot83
I'm trying to get JFK-MXP in late July- August. I'm booking with JAL so not effected by the recent AS deval. I'm trying to decode the econ availability on expert flyer. There is Econ Saver and Econ Partner Availability. There is no availability at all in the month of August except for a few days that show partner availability in economy for the MXP-JFK route. But when I cross reference those dates against AS site or emirates sites, I'm not seeing the same availability. Are these actually bookable with JAL miles?
I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Alaska Air (AS) and JAL do not have a partnership.

If you are booking with JAL, I suggest that you post your question it in a FlyerTalk section devoted to that airline mileage program.

Last edited by AKCuisine; Apr 2, 2016 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 1, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I have a quick question. I apologize if this is already answered upthread.

I have an itinerary booked for LAX-DXB (in F) and DXB-JNB (in J). I feel very lucky to have this booked at the old price of 100K miles.

If first opens up on my DXB-JNB flight, can I upgrade to F without charge, or would that cost another 100K?

Thanks
I think you would be very careful in changing unless you have an ironclad agreement from the agent BEFORE. I have done that before and been banged. I kicked and screamed but
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:53 am
Community Director Emerita

I also wonder. I've been thru devaluations on other airlines, and this would definitely have been allowed. But people are expressing reservation about AS allowing it on EK tickets. I hope the first to try will share their experiences - or that AS will issue public guidelines for these tickets.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I also wonder. I've been thru devaluations on other airlines, and this would definitely have been allowed. But people are expressing reservation about AS allowing it on EK tickets. I hope the first to try will share their experiences - or that AS will issue public guidelines for these tickets.
I think the culprit is the multifarious amount of bloggers scammers et al Not that the airlines and cc companies hands are clean in all this. There are few days that go by without someone posting on one of the various travel sites boasting about their FC trip on EK for little to nothing. And how you can do it too. I think these are the same ones selling get rich on flipping houses!

Personally and I have been traveling a long time, I like revenue based rewards, I "grew up" in business travel with that and it works. It will mean more seats available, better selection.

As I have said before let's let the smoke clear and see where we are. Well if one looks at J class one way is 120K now compare that to others and it's not too terribly bad and J on EK is a nice product, especially on the 380. I prefer non US metal when I am going abroad for many good reasons.

As for guidelines from AS not sure what guidelines they can issue. But anything to keep order is welcomed
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:29 am
Community Director Emerita

It looks like they updated their FAQ to allow one change to any booking under the old pricing.

Thank you. That's helpful.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:01 pm

well for those that booked that's very helpful.

^^^^^
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond

Oh thankfully they did this! Saves me from 120K extra points (across 2 people) for a trip I need to push back a couple of months.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

That's North of Expected.

But, of course, the objections and admonitions will continue.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Oh thankfully they did this! Saves me from 120K extra points (across 2 people) for a trip I need to push back a couple of months.
Does anyone know if they will allow any one-time change (origin and destination)? Or is it only a one-time date change with the same routing?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
That's North of Expected.

But, of course, the objections and admonitions will continue.
I definitely appreciate that they are willing to do this.

But, this doesn't seem to me as something that as "north of expected" so much as in line with what one could expect with an airline that is part of a major alliance, such as American.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:31 pm

Question about availability for DXB-->MLE:

I'll be booking a flight soon using the new valuations and am not finding any F on that leg. It looks like there is up close,but not for 2017, which is when my travel is.

Is there evidence that this flight opens later then the SFO/lax--dxb A380 flights? F availability is wide open on them.

EDIT:

For anyone reading this: There is a current issue between AS and EK, it is not that they pulled this option, its just broken. Apparently their top tier helpdesk is working with EK on fixing it.

In the meantime it can be worked around by booking the Z(first) ticket then add the D(biz) leg in.

Last edited by paladin732; Apr 5, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.