Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Print Wikipost

AS says to arrive early at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thanks everyone! Went though Pre at Checkpoint #3 tonight at around 6pm, entering behind the Southwest counters and no one else in line other than some none Pre that got redirected into the general line. Saw people through corridors at either Checkpoint #4 or 5 but didn't look closely to see how clogged they were or the general #3 line.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was at Seatac at around 5 am yesterday. Lines were massive. I went to #3, and somehow got re-directed into Pre at #3, even though I don't have it. This situation is getting pretty crazy.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Yeah, what is going on? Why have the security lines at SEA suddenly gone crazy? They were never great, but now they've been worst than I've ever seen in 18 years of frequent flying out of SEA.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Yeah, what is going on? Why have the security lines at SEA suddenly gone crazy? They were never great, but now they've been worst than I've ever seen in 18 years of frequent flying out of SEA.
2 weeks ago, when I flew out of Seatac at ~8am, I stood in line for 1 hr at Checkpoint #2. The line at Checkpoint #3 was so long, I couldn't even see where it ended. I chalked it up to Spring Break. But now, I have no idea what's going on anymore. It seems like the new normal?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 3:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by solewalker
2 weeks ago, when I flew out of Seatac at ~8am, I stood in line for 1 hr at Checkpoint #2. The line at Checkpoint #3 was so long, I couldn't even see where it ended. I chalked it up to Spring Break. But now, I have no idea what's going on anymore. It seems like the new normal?
Yeah I had a similar experience back in September before I got PreCheck and chalked it up to being close to September 11th. But yeah this is the new norm which is bizarre. Why? What changed? I may write a letter to TSA. I've written several letters before and You'd be surprised at how thorough they are at actually responding, and giving you a real response.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
The Port is starting to evaluate if they should replace TSA with private contractors, as is done at SFO and MCO: http://www.kiro7.com/news/sea-tac-ai...rity/200091933

It's not just Sea-Tac either, ATL and MSP are considering the same moves for the same general reasons.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:44 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
What changed?
It seems like there's something different about how they are clearing baggage. When I went thru last week, it was the same story as the past few times - each bag was getting ~20-30 seconds of attention from the screener, switching thru different "modes" on the display. People were waiting in line to push their bags thru, not for any other part of the process.

Did SEA fail some TSA screening test?

(I went thru Checkpoint 2 on Wednesday around 5pm and it was about 45 minutes, using the Premium line; 3 had a huge line...)
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Interesting data point in the Kiro 7 story about the number of lanes open at SEA:
"Of the 32 security lanes at Sea-Tac, 17 or 19 of them are open. On the busiest day, 21 are open."

I shudder to think what the lines will be like once cruise season starts. It is not just the sheer numbers of people, its that by far, most will not have a clue and no matter which line they are in, they will slow that line down. Combine that with newer TSA personnel that have a tough time understanding what they are viewing on the monitors as the luggage goes through it will be a mess
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Yeah, it's gotten really crazy bad, and people have noticed. I can't help but wonder if that was the point. Senators have weighed in, demanding action. Port exploring options to replace TSA with some contractors. Agree it's going to get worse. Not good.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kieron
The Port is starting to evaluate if they should replace TSA with private contractors, as is done at SFO and MCO: http://www.kiro7.com/news/sea-tac-ai...rity/200091933

It's not just Sea-Tac either, ATL and MSP are considering the same moves for the same general reasons.
Heard about the privatization idea. Thought the TSA closed that program? Maybe they just need some legislative muscle.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kieron

This is great news!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:52 pm
Suspended

I say go private. Private companies who actually have to report to someone, and are liable for long line will have to answer to someone, whereas TSA can do as they please. Private companies have incentive to do a good job because otherwise they get the ax. TSA staff doesn't care how long you have to stay in line. Whose gonna fire them?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I say go private. Private companies who actually have to report to someone, and are liable for long line will have to answer to someone, whereas TSA can do as they please. Private companies have incentive to do a good job because otherwise they get the ax. TSA staff doesn't care how long you have to stay in line. Whose gonna fire them?
While I agree with this, I still wonder how are the private companies funded? In other words, what keeps them from using the same excuse of a lack of funding when there are not enough staffing to keep lines short and moving quickly? Would/could they charge more? Who do they charge?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ctporter
In other words, what keeps them from using the same excuse of a lack of funding when there are not enough staffing to keep lines short and moving quickly?
I'd think that the contract(s) with the private security company/companies would specify staffing levels (and that the airport wouldn't sign if they couldn't reach a staffing and price arrangement that they liked.)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kufat
I'd think that the contract(s) with the private security company/companies would specify staffing levels (and that the airport wouldn't sign if they couldn't reach a staffing and price arrangement that they liked.)
Theoretically a private company might also be more agile to change staffing levels in response to flux in daily/hourly pax loads than TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.