AS says to arrive early at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:28 pm

There is a map showing the Seatac TSA checkpoints here:

https://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/...eckpoints.aspx
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
The annoying part of the premium lines when they aren't packed is that they are not accessible without going through the person who looks at your BP quickly to let you in the line to the checkpoint. At SEA if the line is so far back to the check-in desks (yes I've seen this). The TSA agent said I'd have to wait in that line to reach the premium line. I said, then what's the point of having a premium line? He had no response and told me I'd just have to wait. LOL

The absolute worst is when you get in the Precheck, and there is some guy holding up the line at the belt because he didn't know he had to push his stuff through, or he waited till the last second to start putting all his belongings inside his bag. I always secretly ask myself inside 'Hello!! You're in precheck! Do you fly?!?!'

Apparently, as I overheard a couple the other day in the Precheck line, the government gives out Precheck for free to people who work for the Government and already have background checks such as workers in the Dept of Defense. So this gave an explaination to me why there were people in Precheck who didn't know how it worked.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
...Apparently, as I overheard a couple the other day in the Precheck line, the government gives out Precheck for free to people who work for the Government and already have background checks such as workers in the Dept of Defense. So this gave an explaination to me why there were people in Precheck who didn't know how it worked.
In addition they are at times allowing non-precheck passengers into precheck if there is a security officer with a trained dog available to screen for explosives. We saw this at checkpoint 5 a few trips ago. After the trip I read that this is the new approved version of managed inclusion. Not all airports are doing this but SEA is one that does. (...Or should I say was at the time -- things keep changing with precheck as we all know.)
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
The annoying part of the premium lines when they aren't packed is that they are not accessible without going through the person who looks at your BP quickly to let you in the line to the checkpoint. At SEA if the line is so far back to the check-in desks (yes I've seen this). The TSA agent said I'd have to wait in that line to reach the premium line. I said, then what's the point of having a premium line? He had no response and told me I'd just have to wait....
One thing to do is to walk down to CK3, but enter way way down at the Southwest ticket counter. Then go around back (towards the wall) to get to the precheck lane and walk to the merge, it is just a short line then to the premium lane. Saw a couple do that in front of me yesterday, I was right behind them coming round the aisle at Southwest, they veered into main line at the precheck merge.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
6:00 tonight. Checkpoints in best proximity to AS ticket counters: long lines. Dedicated pre check closed. Pre check at Center (food court) checkpoint. 2 mins to pass through.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, AS/DL/Marriott nobody
Data point from Tuesday ~2:15pm:

Checkpoint 5 (North checkpoint):

Regular line: ~200 people, Gold line: 4 people

Still took 25 minutes to get through. The bag screening was the hold-up as usual. Lots of people were going to miss their flights.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
One observation from 4/4, ~6am at SEA:

Partner (MVP) was told the premium lines are no longer for use by Portland or Spokane shuttle passengers. Regular line took 10-15 mins, which surprised me for a Monday morning.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
One observation from 4/4, ~6am at SEA:

Partner (MVP) was told the premium lines are no longer for use by Portland or Spokane shuttle passengers. Regular line took 10-15 mins, which surprised me for a Monday morning.
BS. Premium line entry is based on status or class of service, not route. The TSA doesn't own the access up to the point of the first encounter with a TSA employee. That's for the POS to decide.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Junkie
6:00 tonight. Checkpoints in best proximity to AS ticket counters: long lines. Dedicated pre check closed. Pre check at Center (food court) checkpoint. 2 mins to pass through.
That's SOP for SEA at night. Very because the busiest operator (AS) in their busiest gate area (N) is pretty far away from a Precheck line.

I guess this is AS, the TSA and PoS helping us out with our exercise programs by making us walk all over the airport...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
BS. Premium line entry is based on status or class of service, not route.
"Security express lines are also available for passengers traveling between Seattle and Portland, and between Seattle and Spokane."
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
BS. Premium line entry is based on status or class of service, not route. The TSA doesn't own the access up to the point of the first encounter with a TSA employee. That's for the POS to decide.
I beg your pardon but these two routes have offered premium lane security access for a good many years at Sea-Tac
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Um, have you even flown out of Seattle or Portland before? Premium line has always been open to SEA/PDX shuttle passengers.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:22 pm
Suspended

SEA Security lines both regular and Precheck have been so inconsistent. The worst I have seen the lines snake all the way back to the check in areas. I always arrive 1.5-2 hours before departure time.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by qukslvr619

What I hate about the setup is that there are no designated (other than the A checkpoint) areas for Precheck or First Class. You are forced to enter the long queue full of the masses which kind of defeats part of the benefit of having Precheck.
THIS!

Security lines at SEA are so unpredictable. One time I go no lines, another time I go lines have snaked back into the check in area, sometimes PreCheck is packed, other times it's not. I just arrive 1.5-2hr ahead of departure time to play it say and have fun in the Centurion Studio
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I always think TSA intentionally make the lines longer to force people to sign up for pre-check so that they could keep more record on the flying public, and make money along the way. I am just afraid when this happens, the pre-check lines will start growing longer and negate the benefits of being a pre-check flyer.

That being said, IME the most reliable pre-check line at SEA is the central checkpoint (#3?). I think my longest wait time at that pre-check was 16 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.