MVPG change fee for companion

Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question MVPG change fee for companion

Are change fees also waived for a companion traveling on the same reservation with an MVPG?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Are change fees also waived for a companion traveling on the same reservation with an MVPG?
No, not in my experience. I have had to pay change fees in the past for Mr. Fink, even when we were on the same PNR.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Sadly, no.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Good to know. If the price drops on the itinerary, does the difference in fare appear in My Wallet or is it given as a credit to my traveling companion instead?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Good to know. If the price drops on the itinerary, does the difference in fare appear in My Wallet or is it given as a credit to my traveling companion instead?
You are given a choice.

Oh and yes, the fee is waived* when the companion is also an MVPG+

*or changes are made outside of 60 days.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Note however that if you bought your companion's ticket using points you don't have to pay a change fee, even if they're on a separate PNR.

Neil
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:33 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
Note however that if you bought your companion's ticket using points you don't have to pay a change fee, even if they're on a separate PNR.
Only if the miles are from the MVPG account. If the miles are from the no-status companion's account, then the change fee applies.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
Really? Crap, I thought the opposite and it was part of the reason I didn't run for MVPG last year when I was close. This year I'll be lucky to get to 20k.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Scottrick
Only if the miles are from the MVPG account. If the miles are from the no-status companion's account, then the change fee applies.
Yes, thanks for the clarification. That's what I meant but reading my post back it wasn't entirely clear.

Neil
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL plat, AS
if you're changing both directions or not holding a super low advance purchase fare on the portion you're not changing. It may make the most sense to do a name transfer on your companion's ticket and put it in your name. The name transfer fee is also waived for MVPG (you may have to change it to a lower priced fare to avoid any add collect) Then cancel it and put it into your my wallet then rebook it for your companion.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by becca1
if you're changing both directions or not holding a super low advance purchase fare on the portion you're not changing. It may make the most sense to do a name transfer on your companion's ticket and put it in your name. The name transfer fee is also waived for MVPG (you may have to change it to a lower priced fare to avoid any add collect) Then cancel it and put it into your my wallet then rebook it for your companion.
Wow. Name transfers are free for MVPG? I was not aware of this benefit.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: DL plat, AS
Wow. Name transfers are free for MVPG? I was not aware of this benefit.

There isn't a change fee but any difference in fare applies and it does get repriced at the current rate.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:52 pm

So if I am MVP Gold and I need to cancel a trip that I am booked with a companion who does not have status, it can be done with no fees if you use the change name method?

It looks like I could cancel my ticket and then transfer my companion's ticket to my name and then cancel it. Even if I had to pay more for the ticket at transfer wouldn't I get it all back into my wallet with no change fees? I don't mind tying up the money in my wallet because I know I will use it on a future trip but it would be great to have that flexibility when traveling with someone else.

Is the above scenario correct?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwongo
So if I am MVP Gold and I need to cancel a trip that I am booked with a companion who does not have status, it can be done with no fees if you use the change name method?

It looks like I could cancel my ticket and then transfer my companion's ticket to my name and then cancel it. Even if I had to pay more for the ticket at transfer wouldn't I get it all back into my wallet with no change fees? I don't mind tying up the money in my wallet because I know I will use it on a future trip but it would be great to have that flexibility when traveling with someone else.

Is the above scenario correct?
This almost sounds to good to be true. Hopefully somebody can confirm. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.