Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Is it even worth it to try to book CX First Class with AS miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning on taking a trip to Asia either late this year or early next year in first class on AS miles, so I have been reading up on the super long Cathay Pacific-related threads in this forum to try to learn as much as I can. It seems so difficult to find two seats in F on CX (unless you are able to plan your trip a week in advance) that I'm wondering if it is even worth it. I've seen anecdotes about booking in a lower fare class, and hoping that CX releases F seats in the days before your flight, but that seems like it is leaving a lot to chance.

If I am not willing to leave my upgrade to chance, or book my trip just days in advance, does it make sense to try to redeem with CX, or should I just go with EK (who we flew in F back in September and absolutely loved)? I'd really like to fly CX for a new in-flight experience, a much more convenient layover (flying to Dubai first isn't the most direct route), and a new stopover city.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:57 pm

Hi -

You answered your own question.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
You read that thread and still decided to make you own despite that being the best place to post?

No advice for you then.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
No advice for you then.
No soup for you either.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Why not book EK, and then pay $125 / ticket change fee to switch last minute if CX becomes available?

On a first class ticket that would otherwise cost upwards of $10k, paying that fee would be well worth it if you get a better routing or if you value a new experience.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Bri1010 You wouldn't like traveling with me - I not only wait for last minute space on LH with my UA miles but have more than once taken an award trip without return flights home

Good luck ^

Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Why not book EK, and then pay $125 / ticket change fee to switch last minute if CX becomes available?

On a first class ticket that would otherwise cost upwards of $10k, paying that fee would be well worth it if you get a better routing or if you value a new experience.
This is a very good suggestion. Book something you are happy with and hope to change.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
While there is certainly the allure of CX F, I find their J to be more than enough. I would (and am currently doing) book on CX J and hope that F opens up last minute and make the change.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
You read that thread and still decided to make you own despite that being the best place to post?

No advice for you then.
Some people just have to be jerks. If you don't like the OP's post don't post!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Pulley
If you don't like the OP's post don't post!
The issue here is not if one likes the post. The question asked is clearly answered in the thread the OP claimed to have read. Also, as noted in a reply, the OP effectively answers his own question. He values certainty so he should book now what he can get.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I believe that CX does not release more then 1 seat in F any more from North America to Asia. The only exception to that is sometimes at a week before departure or less.

So if you want to fly in F on CX with your wife, and book more then a week before departure the answer is NO.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smilee
So if you want to fly in F on CX with your wife, and book more then a week before departure the answer is NO.
This is just like trying to get LH F with UA miles. It's just part of the 'game' to getting some of the worlds best flight experiences.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Pulley
Some people just have to be jerks. If you don't like the OP's post don't post!
The whole purpose of The mega thread is so people don't ask the same questions over and over again flooding the forum. It would be different if the OP didnt realize there was a mega thread
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by smilee
I believe that CX does not release more then 1 seat in F any more from North America to Asia. The only exception to that is sometimes at a week before departure or less.

Yeah no.

Last week I booked 2 HKG-LAX tickets in F.. for September of this year, and I saw 2 seats in F from SFO on the outbound, and 3 from ORD (ended up with a cheap AA one way so only ended up needing the return)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by CDKing
The whole purpose of The mega thread is so people don't ask the same questions over and over again flooding the forum. It would be different if the OP didnt realize there was a mega thread
I stand corrected, thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Agree

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
While there is certainly the allure of CX F, I find their J to be more than enough. I would (and am currently doing) book on CX J and hope that F opens up last minute and make the change.
Totally agree. I think if you have not tried CX F then totally worth it to try once. But if you don't drink the whole array of liquor or swallow the whole belly of caviar, J is just fine and comfy and enjoyed it last time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.