Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

American Airline code share ticket is cheaper than Alaska Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airline code share ticket is cheaper than Alaska Airline

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by dprocuk
That being said, I can book now, and if the fare reduces prior to 60 days out, I can cancel, have funds sent to my AS wallet, and then use those funds to immediately re-book the same flight at the lower fee...all with no additional out of pocket expense? Seems like a no brainer - correct?
Specifically to the fare guarantee, there's no 60-day limitation as you don't have to cancel and rebook the ticket - just go to the fare guarantee page, enter your ticket, and boom, you've got a credit in your wallet based on the current price.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SR99
I tried to book Christmas air tickets to Hawaii by Alaska Airline.

I checked Alaska Airline web site and there are only refundable tickets available and it costs $1500 round trip.

However, when I search for the same itinerary on American Airline website, the same flight (with AA code share) only costs $920.

It's kind of strange. Why the same Alaska Airline tickets is sold at much cheaper price by a partner? Is this normal for Alaska Airline tickets?

Thanks.
Is it normal? Sometimes.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most Alaska sold tickets to Hawaii over the holidays are sold with the companion pass. So the Alaska fare sometimes is inflated because of this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Resurrecting an old thread.
Looking to fly to So Cal over Christmas. SEA-SAN tickets on AA are $263, and nearly double that ($483) on AS. Flights are operated by AS.
Aside from the change / low fare guarantee policies, are there any issues with purchasing tickets on AA as it relates to accumulating miles on AS, upgrades (for my companion and I - I'm a 75K), as well Premium Class upgrade for my MVP family members? I believe those are all treated the same whether I purchase through AA or AS, but wanted to confirm...

Thanks!
Bostonbali

Last edited by bostonbali; Aug 6, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You can’t accumulate miles on AA and use AS benefits for upgrades. Pick one or the other.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:38 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Resurrecting an old thread.
Looking to fly to So Cal over Christmas. SEA-SAN tickets on AA are $263, and nearly double that ($483) on AS. Flights are operated by AS.
Aside from the change / low fare guarantee policies, are there any issues with purchasing tickets on AA as it relates to accumulating miles on AA, upgrades (for my companion and I - I'm a 75K), as well Premium Class upgrade for my MVP family members?
I believe those are all treated the same whether I purchase through AA or AS, but wanted to confirm...

Thanks!
Bostonbali
I would think you should be able to purchase on AA and use your AS FF#

That way you would actually accumulate AS miles instead of AA trickle of Redeemable miles (EQM should be same).
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You can’t accumulate miles on AA and use AS benefits for upgrades. Pick one or the other.
Sorry - meant accumulating miles on AS, not AA...
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not ALL the same; I know you can't use GGUs on AA 001 ticket stock (per the rest of this thread). I think you can waitlist for F/PC though.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's not ALL the same; I know you can't use GGUs on AA 001 ticket stock (per the rest of this thread). I think you can waitlist for F/PC though.
WL should work.

Not sure how PC will be treated. AFAIK one cannot pay for PC when not on an AS ticket, but am not 100% on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.