Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR from FA: end to comp. upgrades for MVP/MPVG, other items

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR from FA: end to comp. upgrades for MVP/MPVG, other items

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Madone59
I can't imagine AS will restrict CPU's to 75K's and MM's - it would be silly and pointless. Being on the upgrade list is like the american dream - everyone has chance.

Look at a hub-to-hub flight on one of the big 3 the UG lists can be 50 or 75 people long. What would AS have to gain be not offering UG's to MVP's and Golds.
It could make sense if AS wants to move towards reciprocal upgrades with AA?

Originally Posted by BrandonAB
Actually, when Wi-Fi is available there is a map when you open the web browser.
In my not very extensive looking I've never seen this. Any hints on where it is - just the web browser on the tablets? I know the gogo purchase page show a little bar with amount of time left on my phone's browser, so maybe the map's only on the non-mobile version?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I was chatting with a senior lead flight attendant on a AS flight today.
As noted, that makes this rumor at the level of random FlyerTalk separation, no more informed.

* In addition, at some point, AS will no longer allow children under 5 in the FC cabin (I have a hard time believing this).
Well, that would be innovation. I'd be awfully surprised.

* AS will also be headed down the same road as the other major domestic airlines, rewarding miles based on revenue, not distance flown.
I'd say that's borderline inevitable, since AS will now be the last frequent flyer program I know of (domestically or abroad) that awards award miles based on mileage with only small bonuses for premium cabins and expensive tickets. Maybe it will be multipliers (which range from ≈0.25 to ≈4) based on on booking class, as AS, AA, UA, and DL do for partners instead of straight spend, particularly since I imagine that a higher fraction of miles from flights credited to AS's program are earned on partner tickets than for AA, UA, and DL's programs (simply because AS is much smaller than most of their partners).

* Most importantly, due to the upcoming reduction in FC seats (primarily on the 738), AS will do away with complimentary upgrades from MVP and MVPG. 75K and Million Milers will still be eligible for upgrades.
As others have noted, this makes no sense whatsoever. Reducing the number of F seats just makes it cost AS less to keep the theoretical upgrade benefit there on paper; upgrades will be appreciably more rare, though.

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
It could make sense if AS wants to move towards reciprocal upgrades with AA?
This is the only plausible reason I could think of. Maybe AS is thinking about moving towards some sort of currency for elite upgrades for MVPs and MVP Golds (non-75k) like AA. I'd still put that in the highly unlikely category. If developing reciprocal upgrades with AA is a priority, there are other ways to do it. An obvious way would be exactly the way it worked for US Silvers, Golds, and Platinums before the AA and US frequent flyer programs merged: US elites had to pay the cost of 500 mile upgrades ($30/500 miles at the time) to upgrade on AA. AA could certainly allow AS elites to do the same.

But for me, reciprocal upgrades between AS and AA aren't very high on my wish list, even though my flights are split about 60/40 between AA and AS.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:00 pm
Suspended

If Alaska does as the OP says, I bet that Delta will be laughing all the way to the bank in SEA.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If Alaska does as the OP says, I bet that Delta will be laughing all the way to the bank in SEA.
+1
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That parent who is a 75K with their under 5 child that is 75K would not be too happy.

Giving a partner elite upgrade priority over AS elite would alienate a lot of customers. Id just give more of my business to other carriers. I've already been going that way anyways. Delta has super cheap fares to Alaska now a days. Id be better off paying for Economy comfort than booking AS. I can fly RT to Asia now for cheaper than AS from BOS-ANC
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Giving a partner elite upgrade priority over AS elite would alienate a lot of customers.
Who's talking about that? I certainly agree that giving partner elites upgrade priority over any AS elites would be terrible marketing; I can't imagine AS (or any airline) would do that. (Unless the partner elite uses AS miles to upgrade, but then the partner elite status has nothing to do with the transaction.)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
AS Flyer....your thoughts??
On the OP?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
On the OP?
Yes please, as much as you feel comfortable sharing....and for once it doesn't involve polenta or chocolate bars
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Yep which is why I can't believe it is 100% true.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:33 am

Yes please, as much as you feel comfortable sharing....and for once it doesn't involve polenta or chocolate bars
Frankly, I'd rather talk about polenta and chocolate bars This is just embarrassing. Honestly, it sounds like someone rambling on about their own personal thoughts. Nobody that knows anything of the sort would be rattling it off on a plane to passengers. SO, my thoughts, this FA should find something different to talk about with his/her passengers rather than spreading rumors.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Frankly, I'd rather talk about polenta and chocolate bars This is just embarrassing. Honestly, it sounds like someone rambling on about their own personal thoughts. Nobody that knows anything of the sort would be rattling it off on a plane to passengers. SO, my thoughts, this FA should find something different to talk about with his/her passengers rather than spreading rumors.
Thanks....now back to our regularly scheduled programming....do you think AS will remove all polenta from flights in 2017??
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks....now back to our regularly scheduled programming....do you think AS will remove all polenta from flights in 2017??
No Polenta on the new transcon first class small plate menu ^
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Unless AS wants to price their discount F fares (P) to something more reasonable, I do not see comp upgrades going away. I frequently see prices on a OW PDX-DFW in P exceed $700, for the same price I can almost get a RT on AA for the same.
DL and recently AA have become more aggressive selling a larger percentage of discount F (A fare bucket on domestic AA), with the stated goal (by DL) of selling 70% of F seats, effectively leaving lower tier elites in the back the bus. Reading between the lines, this could indeed be what the FA was attempting to suggest.

With the pitiful legroom in AS F, inconsistent F meals and service, I find it hard to believe why someone would pay full fare to sit in the front on AS.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by diver858

With the pitiful legroom in AS F, inconsistent F meals and service, I find it hard to believe why someone would pay full fare to sit in the front on AS.
As I'm sure you are aware, AS has been offering a capacity controlled discounted F bucket and will be improving the F seat substantially later this year.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Thank you for discrediting these unfortunate rumors, AS Flyer. You are a voice of reason on this board.

((***cyberhugs***))

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.