Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016

Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016

Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Exclamation Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com

Winter Storm Jonas

Due to heavy snow expected on the east coast, we are offering the following waiver if you prefer to change, postpone, or cancel your plans.

The safety of our customers and employees is our top priority and we will only operate flights if and when it is absolutely safe to do so.
Travel To/From

Baltimore (BWI)
Boston (BOS)
Newark (EWR)
New York - JFK (JFK)
Philadelphia (PHL)
Washington-Dulles (IAD)
Washington-Reagan (DCA)
Tickets Purchased On/Before

January 20, 2016
Original Travel Dates

January 22-24, 2016
Exception Policy

We will waive the change fees and the difference in the price of the ticket if the new travel is booked to or from the affected cities in the same cabin and completed on or before January 27, 2016. You may request a refund if you choose not to travel at all. Tickets must be exchanged or refunded on or before January 27, 2016.
Additional Information

Minors traveling unaccompanied will not be accepted into or through the affected cities during this period.
Pets traveling in the hold or shipped via Alaska - Air Cargo will not be accepted on flights to/from the affected cities during this period.
Passenger traveling with their pets in the cabin will not be accepted on flights to/from the above cities.
Hotel/Food/Ground Transportation amenities will not be provided by Alaska Airlines.

As always, we advise you to check your flight status before departure. If your flight has been affected, you may rebook your flight, apply for a refund or call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (if calling from within Mexico, call 001-800-252-7522).

Sign up for Trip Alerts or Flight Status Alerts and we'll notify you of any last minute delays, cancellations, or gate changes on your flights by email or text message.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Options?

How different is the rebooking options, if FAA keeps one, two, or all three of the Washington DC airports open, and my originally booking flight is cancelled and stayed intact (verses voluntary rebooking).

Would AS rebook for free to the other operating AS Washington area flights?

If AS doesn't operate any of the flights to Washington DC airports, would keeping intact the reservation allow for travel on other airlines?

Would AS allow for mileage accrual on my involuntarily cancelled and rebooked portion of my itinerary (due to weather) if I travel on other airlines?

(Am trying to weigh options to rebooking now with new dates at higher fares (which are not within the rebooking window), vs rebooking later keeping intact the original dates.)

Jiburi
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jiburi
How different is the rebooking options, if FAA keeps one, two, or all three of the Washington DC airports open, and my originally booking flight is cancelled and stayed intact (verses voluntary rebooking).

Would AS rebook for free to the other operating AS Washington area flights?

If AS doesn't operate any of the flights to Washington DC airports, would keeping intact the reservation allow for travel on other airlines?

Would AS allow for mileage accrual on my involuntarily cancelled and rebooked portion of my itinerary (due to weather) if I travel on other airlines?

(Am trying to weigh options to rebooking now with new dates at higher fares (which are not within the rebooking window), vs rebooking later keeping intact the original dates.)

Jiburi
If this storm comes in as expected, AS will simply cancel all flights to the area so their aircraft don't get stranded. Because this is weather related I doubt they would rebook on other airlines and honestly all the other airlines will probably also cancel their flights as well. If you try to keep the same dates you are rolling the dice, if by some chance you get rebooked on another airline you have an excellent chance of getting stranded at ORD or some other hub with thousands of others all trying to rebook flights.

If it were me I would rebook for different dates.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Keep that weather down south.

If its what they are looking at now i would not be surprised to see airlines moving their planes out of the Northeast by late Thursday early Friday. Airport open does not equal flights going anywhere.

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 20, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:40 pm

Looks like they've made the decision to cancel Saturday flights now to some of the impacted areas.

Jiburi
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Cancellations are up on the blog

http://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/news/travel-alert-winter-storm-jonas/

Jan 22-24, includes RDU, IAD/DCA/BWI, JFK/EWR, PHL so far (not every airport is cancelled for all 3 days).
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:46 pm

Washington DC Baltimore MD, Philadelphia

Also keeping in mind that while connecting flight might be still operating, many public transit options are not operating.

Washington DC
all WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Transit) Service Train and Bus service is suspended thru Sunday 1/24.

Baltimore MD
MTA Maryland Transit Services will be suspended prior to Midnight Friday and will be suspended throughout the weekend.
All WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Transit) Service bus and Train suspended thru 1/24.

Philadelphia PA
Most SEPTA service suspended at 4AM SAT to 4AM SUNDAY. Resumption will vary depending on conditions.
Broadstreet/Market Frankford Line operating Saturday schedule
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:46 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
AS18 (SEA-JFK) seems to be cancelled until Monday evening. Unfortunately, our travel plans were compromised.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Cancellations are up on the blog

http://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/news/travel-alert-winter-storm-jonas/

Jan 22-24, includes RDU, IAD/DCA/BWI, JFK/EWR, PHL so far (not every airport is cancelled for all 3 days).
Still not on the blog but seem they've precancelled some sunday flights now.
Jiburi
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jiburi
Still not on the blog but seem they've precancelled some sunday flights now.
Jiburi
Just had my Sunday early evening PHL-SEA (was originally booked on the Saturday flight, which obviously wasn't going to fly) cancelled. I'm surprised, as the snow is supposed to mostly stop not long after midnight here, and it's not like the plane will have been flying through PHL all day.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Saw quite a few cancellations on AS Sat due to this. As for PHL, the airport is still probably a mess...
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Glad to be rebooked Monday DCA-SEA but disappointed my guest upgrade has Ben wasted- there were Sears but they wouldn't move it over to the new itinerary.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
JFK had 30" of snow yesterday plus so much public transit is shut (and just starting to restore service) that I'm sure airport staffing, on top of just getting everything cleared, is a big issue. Private vehicles are once again allowed on roads, but depending on where your private vehicle is, it may be stuck for a while.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Just had my Sunday early evening PHL-SEA (was originally booked on the Saturday flight, which obviously wasn't going to fly) cancelled. I'm surprised, as the snow is supposed to mostly stop not long after midnight here, and it's not like the plane will have been flying through PHL all day.
This is more of a PHL airport employee issue than an a/c issue. With the city paralyzed by the snow, it will be very tough for people to get to work at the airport. Think agents, rampers, TSA etc. probably be a few days before things resemble normal. That said, AS should be able to recover quicker without airplanes and crews stranded all over the eastern seaboard.
In DFW a couple months ago, a little bit of ice that melted by noon around the metro plex everything cancelled and backed up. Not because of a/c or de ice capabilities but because of employees inability to get to work/sick calls to avoid having to try to come in.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by yvrluver
Glad to be rebooked Monday DCA-SEA but disappointed my guest upgrade has Ben wasted- there were Sears but they wouldn't move it over to the new itinerary.
As an MVPG you can call Customer Care and have a replacement guest upgrade cert deposited in your account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.