Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Reissue discount codes on flight cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k

How are discount codes handled in the event of cancelling a reservation?

1) I cancelled a reservation booked with a companion code (expires 12/2016) a few days ago. It still shows as "used". Can I get a new code issued?

2) I have a "fly 2 get 1" code that I want to use, but there is a chance the days won't work out. If I cancel, will I be able to recover the code?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:44 pm

You should never cancel in this circumstance, but rather change to another itinerary in order to preserve the value of the companion certificate.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I think you might be SOL on the companion code, per this article: http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/1...ompanion-fare/ Sorry about that.

Not sure about the fly 2 for 1 code though.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:41 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
The companion fare can be salvaged if you change your reservation rather than canceling it. I suspect that a similar policy might apply to the "buy 2 get 1" ski code.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by flytoeat
You should never cancel in this circumstance, but rather change to another itinerary in order to preserve the value of the companion certificate.
Originally Posted by spamman808
I think you might be SOL on the companion code, per this article: http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/1...ompanion-fare/ Sorry about that.

Not sure about the fly 2 for 1 code though.
I cancelled since it was within 24 hours and preferred a full refund. Guess it's gone, but don't mind too much as I usually give them away as it is.

Originally Posted by Scottrick
The companion fare can be salvaged if you change your reservation rather than canceling it. I suspect that a similar policy might apply to the "buy 2 get 1" ski code.
Just read the ski code terms and it is a non-changeable fare.

Thanks for the answers ^
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
During the first 24 hours after making a reservation I have been able to get discount codes back. However I had to call in rather then cancel online to make it work.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AS
My experience is not what some have reported. I called MVP line to discuss problem with reservation JUST made with discount code. (Within 1 hour)
Rep said Reservation had to be cancelled, could not be changed. I wanted to upgrade from Y to F. ( cannot use a code for discounted F)
Rep first said the funds would go to my wallet. I corrected him on that point(funds back to CC) and then asked about restoring DC to my account . No way was his answer. Maybe he was bothered that I pointed out his error on booking policy. YMMV
I guess it depends on who you get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.