Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

We want you back - "Challenge" to get MVP G 75K back

We want you back - "Challenge" to get MVP G 75K back

Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
By how much did you miss that status level?

I was 75k via status match and put virtually all my travel on AS (or partners where needed), but didn't have time for MRs. Missed gold by 7000, but happy with MVP. The AS experience has been a good one.
I think I missed it by 18,000 EQM via partner + AS. I missed it by "only" AS miles by close to 40,000. I have a lot of AA & partner flying under my belt.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hiima
Now if AS had reciprocal lounge access and baggage for CX and BA, I'd be all over AS.
you and everyone else. until AS becomes a OW member (which most of us hope is never) this is a pipe dream at best.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you and everyone else. until AS becomes a OW member (which most of us hope is never) this is a pipe dream at best.
Out of curiosity, what would the downsides of AS joining Oneworld be? I can see them having to change elite qualification (i.e., get rid of the lower mileage requirements on AS metal), but how much would partnerships be affected? I'd assume the Skyteam carriers would be out, but the DL relationship is falling apart anyway, but what about the independent partners like FI and EK? AA seems to maintain a decent relationship with EY.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jinglish
Out of curiosity, what would the downsides of AS joining Oneworld be? I can see them having to change elite qualification (i.e., get rid of the lower mileage requirements on AS metal), but how much would partnerships be affected? I'd assume the Skyteam carriers would be out, but the DL relationship is falling apart anyway, but what about the independent partners like FI and EK? AA seems to maintain a decent relationship with EY.
OW and EK are not exactly best buddies. It's also likely that AS as a regional airline would have to be sponsored by someone like AA, who could easily make "cut EK" a condition of sponsorship. And having options to get to Europe that don't expose you to BA fuel scamcharges are nice (DL, AF, KL).
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Got the same email. Due to a change in location and an increase in redemptions, I went from flying 130K miles in 2014 to <25K miles in 2015!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Where's my email?
Take me back baby! I promise I won't take you for granted anymore. I won't treat you like the other airlines, they're nothing.
Originally Posted by Finkface
Huh? In this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...a-i-guess.html you said you got your 75k via a status match and only flew about 10k on AS, banking all your AA and BA flights to AA. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25979181-post11.html). And that AA is the "only place for me".
Originally Posted by BOB W
I can't believe I was that polite in responding to this flyer.
I'm not going to be so polite.

Sadly i took a MR to get the last 15K to renew my MVPG and they are giving away challenges to those only 1/2 way to the next status level. Then there's those that matched, rarely credited to AS and then want a second chance. That type of person needs to take a hike. You had your chance. Move on, you don't deserve a second chance. Fly the miles like everyone else.

OH LOOK!!!!

How did i know. Your fired

Have: AS MVP Nominations, 4 AS Gold Upgrade, 3 AS BR pass, A3 Upgrade Coupons Want: offers

AS MVP Nomination, 3 AS BR passes, 4 A3 upgrades

At least you were able to sell off the upgrade coupons and MVP status and probably the BR passes in the end.

Have: 2 United Club passes exp 3/31/2017, Alaska board room pass W: other airline passes

Tell us all what your real reason was for the match?

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 16, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing

Sadly i took a MR to get the last 15K to renew my MVPG and they are giving away challenges to those only 1/2 way to the next status level. Then there's those that matched, rarely credited to AS and then want a second chance. That type of person needs to take a hike. You had your chance. Move on, you don't deserve a second chance. Fly the miles like everyone else.

OH LOOK!!!!

Have: AS MVP Nominations, 4 AS Gold Upgrade, 3 AS BR pass, A3 Upgrade Coupons Want: offers

At least you were able to sell off the upgrade coupons and MVP status and probably the BR passes in the end.

Have: 2 United Club passes exp 3/31/2017, Alaska board room pass W: other airline passes

You're missing the point. S/he was only joking.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

OH LOOK!!!!

Wow! I wouldn't have been so polite if I'd seen that either. As someone who gets to MVPG every year on my own dime and all leisure travel, this is disgusting. AS needs to stop giving out the bennies (GGU's, BR passes, etc) when they just hand out status matches like candy. If they're going to status match you to 75K so you get the comp upgrades and no changes fees to use because you are actually flying on AS, fine. But you shouldn't get all the rest of the goodies when they just hand the status to you. Earn your status and THEN you get the prize.

Originally Posted by dave1013
Oh right, sorry. My bad.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I had absolutely no use for the BR passes. I have PP. The GGUs were of no use to me either, with 75k I've gotten upgrade on most flights.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave1013
I did miss that but there are others who did the exact same thing and are whining about not getting a challenge. Sorry the jokester had to be my scapegoat.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
AS needs to stop giving out the bennies (GGU's, BR passes, etc) when they just hand out status matches like candy.
Well, it's their stuff to give away as they please. It probably is more of a PITA to special case various kinds of elites ("here's the one we status matched, here's the real one who requalified/qualified during the year") than it is to just give it away and accept that the FT "I want some free stuff to sell on CC or an upgrade on my Hawaii flight with my spouse, and have no real interest in actually staying elite on AS" crowd is going to do what they do, and figure that the customers and business you win by status matching make it worth it.

Not at all surprising that FT is full of people who figure they'll hop on the gravy train if there's one coming down the tracks with an Eskimo on it. And inevitably if there is too much gravy being taken, AS will shut it down, as inevitably happens to these deals when they are abused.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I did miss that but there are others who did the exact same thing and are whining about not getting a challenge. Sorry the jokester had to be my scapegoat.
I mean if I'm basically singing baby come back to an airline, it shouldn't be construed as serious. But I get it, the people who take the shortcuts and flood the elite market are getting out of hand especially if they complain about not getting the same benefits as true elites.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

especially if they complain about not getting the same benefits as true elites.
Like those who complained about not getting g the 50,000 mile bonus. So glad that part at least worked.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I still haven't received my 2016 credentials. I went down to MVPG (just wasn't willing to fly the 8k miles needed for 75K). No offer in my e-mail either.

Miles last year on AS were about a 50/50 mix of partner and AS F fares.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
OW and EK are not exactly best buddies. It's also likely that AS as a regional airline would have to be sponsored by someone like AA, who could easily make "cut EK" a condition of sponsorship. And having options to get to Europe that don't expose you to BA fuel scamcharges are nice (DL, AF, KL).
Realistically though, it takes an obscene amount of miles to get on DL and I haven't seen pretty much any AF/KL availability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.