Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You won't get any benefits probably. The status takes 48-72 hours to post. Maybe an agent would let you get priority boarding if you show them on the app that you crossed over, but they won't have a way to add you to the upgrade list if a current status isn't tied to your account. Depending on load factor you might be able to buy an upgrade for $100 or so.

You can likely be successful writing in after the fact to request the 50% bonus on your ANC-LAX segment, if it doesn't post automatically. However, give it at least 7 days before writing/calling in because the miles will very likely post before your status updates, and when your status does update the system might recognize that you're due the 50% bonus on that segment and credit it retroactively.
That was helpful. Thank you!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by faithful
How do I know if my AS flight tomorrow is configured for Premium Economy? Is the AS website updated to reflect the new configurations already?
Premium Class as a service doesn't begin until January so won't show for a flight tomorrow. Only way to know is grab the tail number from something like Flight Stats and check it against the list in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...out-there.html and of course a swap could happen at any time so YMMV.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Regarding Price Guarantee, how many times can you request for the difference for the same confirmation #/itinerary?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jediwho
Regarding Price Guarantee, how many times can you request for the difference for the same confirmation #/itinerary?
As many times as you like if the price keeps dropping. There is no limit.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...guarantee.aspx
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Thanks. I have used this page before to get refund but it does not say whether one can request credit multiple times. I bought a ticket yesterday night and it's already down $16. But I see fares around similar dates that are up to $40 less. So, can I request the difference now and if it drops further, request again.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Finkface
As many times as you like if the price keeps dropping. There is no limit.
One thing you may wish to keep in mind is that using the Price Guarantee results in a new ticket number being issued, which will then reset the clock on "purchase date" for waitlist placement. Also, the new, lower-priced ticket may be issued from a lower fare bucket, which will be another factor for waitlist placement after 12/5.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I have used this page before to get refund but it does not say whether one can request credit multiple times. I bought a ticket yesterday night and it's already down $16. But I see fares around similar dates that are up to $40 less. So, can I request the difference now and if it drops further, request again.
Sorry, I misread your original question!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What happens when you attaining status by the end of New Years Eve? I am sure the system will need a few days to process the flight, so you will be out-of-status for the first week of January?
Originally Posted by Kieron
Correct. It can even be the first couple of weeks: a few days to post, possibly several days for a partner, plus a few more days for the status sweep.

Once the miles do post, you're upgraded to the appropriate status level with the appropriate expiration date (end of the new year, not the new year+1), and GGUs and bonus miles appear if they should. No special handling needed.
This implies that the system keeps track of the status miles flown during the current year, well into January next year?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Happy
I can do Add Booking on TripCase account, but it would not pull up the ticket details under Document tab...........
Your suggestions on how to get a latest receipt with e-tickets or view documents on TripCase is very much appreciated.
I use Trip case, but the e-ticket number does not import automatically for me, I have to add it manually under the Notes section.

From the FAQ: On Emails sent by travel agencies, you can click on the Itinerary & Documents link to find invoices and etickets.
We only display the tickets and invoices for reservations made through our TripCase affiliated agencies, airlines and corporations.
Access to these documents work as long as your email address is in the reservation.
If no document is available then please contact your travel agency so they can send the information you need, or add your TripCase email address to your booking.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold Hilton Honors Gold
Looking for help

I have used Flyer Talk for years as a lookie-loo. It has helped greatly. Now despite searching the threads, I can't seem to find the answer for what seems like a standard question. That question is .. "What, no business classs seats to Europe?" We are headed to an event in Paris, late September 2017. 330 days out I started looking. Not one seat available.. Forget about PDX/CDG.. I have searched every possible city pair from the west coast. Nothing except for the bait and switch "Mixed-Cabin Itineraries" (F PDX/SEA and then coach SEA/CDG) I actually called the MVP Gold desk, and pretty much got the run around. Any ideas out there?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MisterZee
I have used Flyer Talk for years as a lookie-loo. It has helped greatly. Now despite searching the threads, I can't seem to find the answer for what seems like a standard question. That question is .. "What, no business classs seats to Europe?" We are headed to an event in Paris, late September 2017. 330 days out I started looking. Not one seat available.. Forget about PDX/CDG.. I have searched every possible city pair from the west coast. Nothing except for the bait and switch "Mixed-Cabin Itineraries" (F PDX/SEA and then coach SEA/CDG) I actually called the MVP Gold desk, and pretty much got the run around. Any ideas out there?
Just like any other award program, seats are never guaranteed, and you just have to keep looking. Many people here have got seats on AF/KL J. It takes persistence and some luck. 330 days out isn't always the time they are released.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

First, look for non-stop flights to CDG from US gateways. For instance: LAX, SEA. Doing that, I see for example PDX-SEA-CDG 9/20/17 all the way in F/J on Delta.
Also, don't rule out ORY (secondary paris airport). I see for instance: PDX-AUS-LHR-ORY on AS/BA in F/J on 9/13/17.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Dec 3, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
For AA marketed/operated flights that have the same flight #, does AS credit the miles for both flights or just the origin/destination? Example, I flew MIA-CLT-SEA last night on AA and it's the same flight # for both segments. Will I get miles for MIA-SEA or MIA-CLT-SEA?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS
Welcome to our FT community. Hope we can help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.