Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by Scoob72
Please be gentle
1. Is it possible to book a one-way redemption using Alaska miles which starts from Europe?
Yes, but depends on which partner you're using and where you're going from Europe.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Please be gentle. But thanks for reading anyway.

I just wanted to confirm a couple of things, if anybody had any thoughts?

1. Is it possible to book a one-way redemption using Alaska miles which starts from Europe? I had anecdotally heard that any Alaska miles one-way redemptions had to originate in the USA -- I suspected this might be false, but wanted to get clarity really.

2. From experience, do FTers generally find trying to book award space (esp. 1st class) on Cathay or Emirates difficult or, actually, fairly straightforward?

I was considering purchasing some Alaska miles, you see, but didn't wish to wind up with miles earmarked for Cathay or Emirates which I actually stood little or no chance of redeeming. (Basically, I was looking to book 1st LHR-HKG on Cathay or 1st LHR-DXB on Emirates.)

Again, many thanks for reading.
One-ways originating internationally are totally fine; I have a one-way MEL-HKG (stopover)-YVR-SEA-PDX booked on CX. The one potential annoyance to consider is that Alaska's SkyTeam partners charge the full round-trip mileage for one-way-only redemptions. To your second question, the inability to search for CX availability on the AS site is a little annoying, but it's not as if searching on BA and then calling AS is difficult. I had no trouble securing business class on the flights I wanted, but first may be harder to get just because AS's availability window opens up later than at least some of CX's other partners.

Last edited by jinglish; Jun 22, 2016 at 8:46 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
The one potential annoyance to consider is that Alaska's SkyTeam partners charge the full round-trip mileage for one-way-only redemptions.
Delta and Korean do this, but SkyTeam Members KLM and Air France do not.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Please be gentle. But thanks for reading anyway.

I just wanted to confirm a couple of things, if anybody had any thoughts?

1. Is it possible to book a one-way redemption using Alaska miles which starts from Europe? I had anecdotally heard that any Alaska miles one-way redemptions had to originate in the USA -- I suspected this might be false, but wanted to get clarity really.

2. From experience, do FTers generally find trying to book award space (esp. 1st class) on Cathay or Emirates difficult or, actually, fairly straightforward?

I was considering purchasing some Alaska miles, you see, but didn't wish to wind up with miles earmarked for Cathay or Emirates which I actually stood little or no chance of redeeming. (Basically, I was looking to book 1st LHR-HKG on Cathay or 1st LHR-DXB on Emirates.)

Again, many thanks for reading.

Here's a link to the Alaska Air Award Chart. Take a few minutes to look it over, and you'll likely find answers to some of your questions.

Most - but not all - one-way award tickets booked with AS miles need to either originate or terminate in North America. Cathay is an exception, as they do offer Europe to Asia one-way or round trip award tickets.

Europe to the Middle East on Emirates is not listed in the award charts. The award rules state that all EK award tickets must start or end in North America.

These threads have detailed information in both the wikis and the posts - Cathay Award Availability F & J and Emirates Award Availability and Routing. Data points, individual experiences and opinions about your second question can be found on those threads.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Cathay is an exception, as they do offer Europe to Asia one-way or round trip award tickets.
Europe to/fro HKG only you mean.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:49 am

Progapanda / jinglish / Calculon / AKCuisine / AKCuisine -- a massive thank-you to all. Your pointers and links are very much appreciated! Some very interesting food for thought, certainly. Thanks again!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CDKing
Cathay is an exception, as they do offer Europe to Asia one-way or round trip award tickets.
Europe to/fro HKG only you mean.

Correct. I assumed that the person asking the question had by now looked at the award charts and the relevant threads, and would have known that fact.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. I assumed that the person asking the question had by now looked at the award charts and the relevant threads, and would have known that fact.
I figured you knew, i just don't have as much faith in other people that you do
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD
AS flights on UA tickets

You can buy seats on Alaska flights through the United website (return ticket: AS there, UA back). Operated by AS, AS flight number. It says 0 award miles, but that's obviously talking about UA. While trying to book, I am only able to put in one FF number and AS isn't even on the list.

Am I able to credit the AS flight to my AS FF# after booking?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ahiromu
You can buy seats on Alaska flights through the United website (return ticket: AS there, UA back). Operated by AS, AS flight number. It says 0 award miles, but that's obviously talking about UA. While trying to book, I am only able to put in one FF number and AS isn't even on the list.

Am I able to credit the AS flight to my AS FF# after booking?
You can just have AS put in your FF# when you check-in, or even online if/when you can get AS's confirmation number. Otherwise, yes you can claim the credit after the flight.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
You can just have AS put in your FF# when you check-in, or even online if/when you can get AS's confirmation number. Otherwise, yes you can claim the credit after the flight.
Yup. I booked and UA wouldn't even let me book a seat for the AS flight. UA did not make it easy, but I found AS's confirmation number in UA's "View Current Reservation" page under a thumbnail "View Additional Confirmation Numbers". AS's was listed and I used that (On alaskaair.com) to add my FF# and booked my preferred seat.

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ahiromu
Yup. I booked and UA wouldn't even let me book a seat for the AS flight. UA did not make it easy, but I found AS's confirmation number in UA's "View Current Reservation" page under a thumbnail "View Additional Confirmation Numbers". AS's was listed and I used that (On alaskaair.com) to add my FF# and booked my preferred seat.

Thanks
Out of curiosity, why did you book through United? Booking it through Alaska, or other online ticket agencies I think, would have let you use some of the Alaska benefits like the price guarantee. Handy if the price drops between now and when your flight leaves. Plus free changes 60+ days in advance. You won't get that with a UA issued ticket.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:30 pm

I'm going to ask here so that you can't flame me for asking It's probably pretty basic.

I bought a flight from the AS website, operated by AA and with AA flight numbers on Alaska ticket stock (027). Let's say there's a delay the day of departure and I want to call and cancel for a refund. Do I call Alaska for that, or American? I'm thinking Alaska since it's a 027 ticket. Is that correct?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'm going to ask here so that you can't flame me for asking It's probably pretty basic.

I bought a flight from the AS website, operated by AA and with AA flight numbers on Alaska ticket stock (027). Let's say there's a delay the day of departure and I want to call and cancel for a refund. Do I call Alaska for that, or American? I'm thinking Alaska since it's a 027 ticket. Is that correct?
You would contact AS since they issued the ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: SPG - Lifetime Plat, AS - MVPG75K
Did Alaska take the handicapped designation off of Row 6 B&C? I'm looking at SEA-OGG flights and the seats are available without the handicapped designation on the website, but with the designation on the app. It even let me book the seats (75k - didn't finish transaction though) without the warning that I may be bumped. I want to double check with the Flyertalk experts before I book b/c those flights have a high percentage of wheelchair passengers and I don't want to end up in a middle seat in the back. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.