Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Newbie Lounge Thread for 2016!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2015 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2016 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by finloopio
I grabbed a killer fare SEA-RDU for a mileage run tomorrow and was upgraded to first class as MVPG on both the outbound and return. Does anyone know if the crew is the same going and leaving RDU? I just wonder how it will go over that I am on the same plane right back to SEA? Is this frowned upon? My departing flight from RDU is 1 hour after landing so this is an obvious mileage run.
a) You might get the same crew.
b) Why care what they think?
c) IME, it's usually a mild curiosity followed by service as normal.
d) They've heard of MRs before. Heck, you might even get better service.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
I grabbed a killer fare SEA-RDU for a mileage run tomorrow and was upgraded to first class as MVPG on both the outbound and return. Does anyone know if the crew is the same going and leaving RDU? I just wonder how it will go over that I am on the same plane right back to SEA? Is this frowned upon? My departing flight from RDU is 1 hour after landing so this is an obvious mileage run.
I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. I'm in 4A (both legs). Oh, and I'm a guy (common misconception with the name Nurse in my screen name).

Never been to RDU. Hoping to find one of those airport trading cards there (the site says they are at RDU) in the 64 minutes from arrival to departure
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
I'm doing the same thing tomorrow. I'm in 4A (both legs). Oh, and I'm a guy (common misconception with the name Nurse in my screen name).

Never been to RDU. Hoping to find one of those airport trading cards there (the site says they are at RDU) in the 64 minutes from arrival to departure
haha nice. I'll say "hi". I'm in 3F on the outbound and 4F on the return. I gotta fly in from BOI first so here's hoping I make all connections.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
All good points. Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
Technically, once you enjoy a benefit afforded one of your FF#s, you can't change. Of course, the system sometimes isn't that sophisticated.

As you said, you'd need your AB number to choose an MCE seat (as well as free checked baggage if needed). My guess is if you change at the airport, you won't lose your seat assignment (or you might... can't hurt to try).

Yes, you can switch your FF# after check-in... finding an agent willing to do it for you is another. But usually, the Club agents are pretty good about it.

For lounge access, it doesn't matter what FF# you have, just show them your AB card. You can also flash your card for priority boarding.

If you do get your AS number entered, be sure to get a physical boarding pass printed to confirm, and as proof in case you need to make a claim for missing miles later.
Much appreciated for the comprehensive info. I guess I will just try out. I was able to do it with United before, even during the flight using onboard wifi before.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Up fare an award - require cancel / rebook or not?

Not sure where to post this question, but I have read thru the last 30 pages of CX award thread and did not find any answer so I thought i would ask here.

Holding a CX J award to JNB, specifically LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-LAX with stopover at HKG both ways.

I saw 1F has opened up on prior date. So the change would be both Upfare AND different flight different date. The HKG-JNB no longer has J seats available on current date.

When AS handles the change, would it just modify the affected segment or would it do a total cancellation of the award then rebook in this case? I dont want to risk it if it is a cancel / rebook.

TIA for replies.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Too long of a flight, will be different crews. IIRC with the recent revisions to contracts, BNA is now the longest route an FA can do a turn on. Pilots do overnight.

Last edited by beckoa; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:49 am
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Happy
Not sure where to post this question, but I have read thru the last 30 pages of CX award thread and did not find any answer so I thought i would ask here.

Holding a CX J award to JNB, specifically LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-LAX with stopover at HKG both ways.

I saw 1F has opened up on prior date. So the change would be both Upfare AND different flight different date. The HKG-JNB no longer has J seats available on current date.

When AS handles the change, would it just modify the affected segment or would it do a total cancellation of the award then rebook in this case? I dont want to risk it if it is a cancel / rebook.

TIA for replies.
With CX it should be segment by segment.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beckoa

With CX it should be segment by segment.
I concur... last week had a SYD-HKG-USA itinerary where I changed each individual segment a few times (destination from JFK to LAX, times, dates, class of service), and it was done by segment, not affecting the non-changed segment, which usually didn't have award inventory when the change was made.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Half Question: Half Rant

Ms BH & I are long-time UA fliers (both 1K), but in this instance the question is the Alaska booking fees if thru an agent. Briefly, Ms BH wanted to give her two (adult) daughters a post-Christmas treat of a week on Maui, but the complication is that one the daughters is a school teacher & can only go during the Presidents' Day break-week. That said, for that week there was nothing suitable out of SEA on either UA or HA, but there were decent fares/schedules on Alaska (SEA-OGG & return). However, as a spoiled (insert laugh here) UA 1k, Ms BH planned to travel in F, while springing on the same flight(s) for two tix in Y for her daughters. But synchronizing this proved almost impossible to do on line, so she she called Alaska & had an agent arrange the booking & the seats. So far, so good, but when the charges came thru there was a $15 "booking" charge for each pax! The question is shouldn't there be just one $15 charge rather than $45?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Interlining with Hawaiian on separate tickets

I have a question regarding baggage interlining with Hawaiian air on separate tickets.

I decided to take my family to Hawaii in February. Originally it was going to be super low budget, was just gonna find a place on Oahu to stay as I could get SS mileage tix to HNL. Unfortunately I was unable to find affordable/acceptable lodging on Oahu for my party.

So we decided to go to Kauai because its generally our favorite island and there seems to be better lodging for my wishlist at an acceptable price point. So I'm looking to buy interisland flights on separate tickets.

tl;dr
Will Alaska be able to interline the baggage to Hawaiian if they are on separate tix?

TIA!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bta15
I have a question regarding baggage interlining with Hawaiian air on separate tickets.

I decided to take my family to Hawaii in February. Originally it was going to be super low budget, was just gonna find a place on Oahu to stay as I could get SS mileage tix to HNL. Unfortunately I was unable to find affordable/acceptable lodging on Oahu for my party.

So we decided to go to Kauai because its generally our favorite island and there seems to be better lodging for my wishlist at an acceptable price point. So I'm looking to buy interisland flights on separate tickets.

tl;dr
Will Alaska be able to interline the baggage to Hawaiian if they are on separate tix?

TIA!
This was asked a few days ago. It might be possible if AS has interline agreement but you may not find an agent willing to on separate tickets.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BH62
So far, so good, but when the charges came thru there was a $15 "booking" charge for each pax! The question is shouldn't there be just one $15 charge rather than $45?
Ticketing fees have always been on a "per pax" basis, so $45 would be correct.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:54 pm

I could have sworn I posted this question this afternoon but I don't see it anywhere. Anyways, upgraded reservations on app still show old seats - will new seats show up on check in, or should I check in on a computer before phone? Does it matter?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I could have sworn I posted this question this afternoon but I don't see it anywhere. Anyways, upgraded reservations on app still show old seats - will new seats show up on check in, or should I check in on a computer before phone? Does it matter?
Refresh the app by pulling down from the top. Sometimes, just touching on 'my account' and going back will sync the trip. If it still doesn't update, take down the app and re-open it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.