Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old May 23, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Date: 5/21/16
Flight: AS #64
Route: ANC-JNU
Departure: 11.25 AM
Flight Time: Approx 1 1/2 hours
Class: First
Meal: None listed, and and none expected - this was a swap to a route/flight number that usually doesn't have a first class cabin

PDB: Alaskan Glaicer water bottles at seat on boarding.

Originally I was booked on the afternoon AS #66 - AKA the "Milk Run" - on a good old 737-400, with stops in Cordova and Yakutat before arriving in Juneau. I'd been upgraded at T-120, but 2 days before departure I was notified that first class was no longer available. Uh oh ...

A quick check of ExpertFlyer confirmed my suspicions - passenger loads had caused a switch in aircraft - AS #64 had many more passengers, so the flight that day was given the regular -400. Flight #66 was lighter in load, and downgraded to the -400 combi (the freighter without first class) for the 4 1/2 hour puddle jumper trip. There was no way I wanted to give up my first class seat to spend 4 1/2 hours in coach, crammed into the back of a freighter ... Unlike most of you, I've done *many* miles on the combis, so there was no romantic notion about flying an aircraft that will soon be retired from service.

My call to Alaska Air remedied the situation - they graciously moved me to late-morning direct (usually a freighter but now a regular 400) flight from ANC to JNU, and they preserved my seat in F. That was perfect. I didn't expect any service other than a beverage, given that this particular flight - this time of year - doesn't usually even have a first class cabin.

To my surprise, we were offered a light snack of the hummus plate with grilled pita and roasted vegetables. Summarizing in 3 words: It was delicious.

My pita wedges were warm and soft, while the roasted zucchini, yellow squash (hidden under the pita in the photo) and red pepper were cool but crisp-tender. Frisee was your typical frisee - ornamental but not very practical. The hummus wasn't your typical beige chickpea and olive oil mash, so I wonder if fava beans - or something else - was the component that gave it a more herbacious flavor.

Alaska Air Food & Beverage - in my opinion, this dish is one to keep in your rotating repetoire.

Attachment 12836
That actually looks good, with the exception of the hummus....would much prefer a warm spinach artichoke dip or queso w/tortilla chips
Old May 24, 2016, 12:57 am
IJK

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Date of flight: 5/9/16
Flight and Route: AS 678 SEA-DEN
Time of Departure: 1850 sched, 1837 actual
Length of flight: 2hr 26min
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage: Dasani bottles passed out after everyone boarded. Is this to keep coach pax from grabbing one on the way back?

Meal served: Snack according to sched. FA called it a "chicken meal" when going around for orders, and elaborated as with carrots & sweet potatoes.

I liked this dish! The chicken may have some sort of cream sauce lightly coating the pieces but if so, wasn't too thick at all. Pieces were fork tender. Did have one or two gristle-ly bites.

Veg was another story. Carrots were half cooked & crunchy and the sweet potato pieces were more like spicing in that mix. I was expecting something more like fully cooked small baby-like carrots and mashed sweet potatoes, but this is Alaska so I should have know better.

Completely unmentioned was the larger side of chopped greens. Collard or kale or something similar. Now I like these and I eat them at home, but I noticed that others didn't seem to care much for it. I wish I thought to ask the FA for another pat of butter to go on top.

Salad was an ordinary garden salad and I didn't taste any arugula! Dressing was creamy Italian!! Maybe next time it will be Thousand Island...

Desert was standard Cougar Mountain oatmeal cinnamon raisin.

I guess I missed this before, but the napkin has a buttonhole in it! ^ Regressing to six year old getting taken out by his grandma to a nice restaurant, I dutifully donned my shirt protector. I'll gladly take any looks over something splattering on my shirt.

Great service by the FA throughout the flight! I do wonder why drink & meal orders aren't taken until pushback. Once again, almost ran out of time before takeoff. Just before descent, I asked (and received) to purchase a F&C plate for later that night or the next day. Love having that option and will be sure to mention it in the Alaska Listens feedback.

(update wiki above to link directly to the flight details page)
This chicken meal with vegetables and kale was the best dinner meal I recall having on West Coast flights. No pasta, no gnochhi, no polenta! Thanks, Alaska!

Old May 24, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That actually looks good, with the exception of the hummus....would much prefer a warm spinach artichoke dip or queso w/tortilla chips
I thought you were fighting the good fight against Alaska's weirdo food variations and come to find out they could win you over with a dip.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
5/22 SNA-SEA 815p departure: cookies
5/23 SEA-PHX 920p departure: cookies

The cabin smells wonderful on these cookie flights. The pretzels are still terrible. I've started writing in to AS about these awful pretzel "snacks." Doubt they care.

would much prefer a warm spinach artichoke dip or queso w/tortilla chips
Queso? That's not too exotic for you?
Old May 24, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
PDX, maybe I'm in the minority but I don't consider a flight to be a restaurant. I'm perfectly happy almost 99% of the time with what is put it front of me. It's an adventure, a surprise. It's why I prefer to turn on the car radio and hear what's on randomly rather than downloading my own music and listening to that.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA1K
i did not take pictures...but

5/18 LAX-BWI
some spicy chicken with cous cous

5/22 DCA-LAX
grapefruit slices to start. omelette with mushrooms, onions, potatoes, and sausage on the side

both pretty solid meals.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
PDX, maybe I'm in the minority but I don't consider a flight to be a restaurant. I'm perfectly happy almost 99% of the time with what is put it front of me. It's an adventure, a surprise. It's why I prefer to turn on the car radio and hear what's on randomly rather than downloading my own music and listening to that.
+1000. I'd add that if it's going to be a sky restaurant, I'd rather it not be an Applebee's. If someone's going to serve me artichoke or "queso" dip with tortilla chips, they'd better be wearing the required minimum number "pieces of flair" (15, but of course more would be better).
Old May 24, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date: May 23th, 2016
Flight: AS 620
Route: PDX-LAS
Departure: Scheduled for 4:40 PM
Flight Time: 1 Hours 43 minutes
Class: First
Meal: Chicken with Sweet Potato & Kale

Comments: Like most everyone else here, I thought this was one of the better meals I've been served of late on Alaska. I'd have even considered it a good feed on a transcon. Nicely done, Alaska!

As to the sweet potatoes, I thought they were carrots. They sure tasted and chewed like carrots. Indeed, I would describe the vegetables as a medley of carrots, squash and celery along with chopped kale accented with onion.
Attached Images  
Old May 25, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat 2A, I resisted the temptation to click reply and copy your picture--it was tough, but I resisted...hope you're happy With that said, this actually does look like a decent meal although I swap out the kale for green beans or broccoli and the sweet potatoes with scalloped or au gratin potatoes.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calculon
+1000. I'd add that if it's going to be a sky restaurant, I'd rather it not be an Applebee's. If someone's going to serve me artichoke or "queso" dip with tortilla chips, they'd better be wearing the required minimum number "pieces of flair" (15, but of course more would be better).
Applebees (or Red Robin for that matter) would actually be a significant upgrade to most airplane meals....now I'm dreaming of the day I get served a Tillamook Pepper Bacon Cheeseburger with guacamole! Yum! Can you tell it's almost lunch time??
Old May 25, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Date: May 23, 2016
Flight: AS 729
Route: IAD-SEA
Departure: Scheduled for 6:35 PM but :30 late due to medical issue with passenger on previous flight, who, in the end, only needed a wheelchair and not the stretcher that was walked down the jet bridge.
Flight Time: ~5 1/2 hours
Class: (MVP upgraded to) First, 4C at 36 hours
Main meal options: Cod with veggies or blackened chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and spinach.
PDB: Nope, just bottled water.

By the time FAs got to row 4, the only option left was chicken. It was surprisingly good. The starter salad, OTOH, was arugula, pear, feta, and vinaigrette, a perfect storm of things I'd prefer not to eat together. I also passed on the whipped cream-topped brownie, too, on account of snacking at the newly renovated UC at IAD.

Snack basket passed around about 4 hours into the flight, but very few takers, possibly because it was near 11 PM Eastern.

Drinks: Decided not to indulge in anything stronger than apple juice. I was in the minority, and it seemed most people were at least offered 3 rounds.

All in all, it was one of the better meals / experiences that I have had on AS in a while.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Seat 2A, I resisted the temptation to click reply and copy your picture--it was tough, but I resisted...hope you're happy With that said, this actually does look like a decent meal although I swap out the kale for green beans or broccoli and the sweet potatoes with scalloped or au gratin potatoes.
Funny how inconsistent these meals can be for what are supposedly the same dishes. My own experience was carrots sprinkled with sweet potatoes a few pages back, while Seat 2A had sweet potatoes sprinkled with carrots. Looks like lots of sauce on top of the chicken too.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Applebees (or Red Robin for that matter) would actually be a significant upgrade to most airplane meals....now I'm dreaming of the day I get served a Tillamook Pepper Bacon Cheeseburger with guacamole! Yum! Can you tell it's almost lunch time??
Not a fair comparison. Most food you could get on the ground would be an upgrade by comparison. A burger at even an average restaurant like RR is going to be cooked to order, and normally served as soon as it is ready. That's not practical in the air, especially when feeding 12-16 people from a tiny galley. Instead your burger will pre-cooked and reheated.

But back to the point: Given that there's a relatively low ceiling for how good an airplane meal can be, I prefer variety over familiarity.

Last edited by Calculon; May 27, 2016 at 12:41 am Reason: Stupid tiny phone keyboard typos!!
Old May 26, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
PDXPremier, you have no idea how proud I am of you! ^^^^^^^^^ And of course I am deliriously happy for us all given how much cleaner and less cluttered this thread is as a result! Beyond that, what more can I say?

You DA MAN!!!

As to the meal, you know - those orange things in the vegetable medley may well have been sweet potatoes, but perhaps undercooked just enough to make them resemble carrots after my second John Daniels on the rocks.

Omnivore that I am, I was still surprised to find that I really enjoyed the kale, onion and garlic concoction. I hope they serve this same meal tomorrow evening on my flight up to Anchorage.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Date: May 28, 2016
Flight: AS 602
Route: SEA-LAS
Departure: 6:05 AM, slight delay because of traffic in the alley
Flight Time: ~2hours
Class: (MVP upgraded to) First, 1A after SDC from AS 600
Main meal options: Chicken hash with egg or granola and yogurt, Danish and fruit
PDB: bottled water or coffee

Tasty, drink service prompt, filling.

I will add a photo later when GoGo isn't being ridiculously slow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 28, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.