Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
efficient and good crew. Had some complaints from pax in 16/17 because they paid for those seats and apparently there we some seat jumpers; crew were talking about how to handle it. the response was "tell them to ask customer service for a refund".... Delta and American definitely have guidelines opposite this for their FAs...
That's terrible! What were the FA's thinking?? The seat poachers are emboldened to do it again since they got away with it once and the originally seated pax are doubly pissed off. First at not getting their seats and second for having to contact customer service for a refund (and possibly offered a customer service gesture long after the fact). Meanwhile they'll be sure to tell their friends and family about the "great" treatment on Alaska.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
efficient and good crew. Had some complaints from pax in 16/17 because they paid for those seats and apparently there we some seat jumpers; crew were talking about how to handle it. the response was "tell them to ask customer service for a refund".... Delta and American definitely have guidelines opposite this for their FAs...
Do you think Customer Service would have refunded their money? I don't think so, so if the FA's aren't willing to do anything about it, then it's a free for all. But if the FA's did confront the pax's and they refused to move, then have the pilots radio ahead so the pax's will be greeted by police and GA so they can collect the needed $$. Very simple.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this is unacceptable, particularly as AS has an eye toward monetizing premium economy in the future.

anyways, back on topic. i was not in front on AS368 (SEA-SMF 7:45pm departure) last night but they offered some sort of coucous salad with a chicken skewer. seemed to be a different offering than anything i had seen before. i had a reasonable view of 4C's plate from my seat in 6D. looked alright from a distance.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this is unacceptable, particularly as AS has an eye toward monetizing premium economy in the future.

anyways, back on topic. i was not in front on AS368 (SEA-SMF 7:45pm departure) last night but they offered some sort of coucous salad with a chicken skewer. seemed to be a different offering than anything i had seen before. i had a reasonable view of 4C's plate from my seat in 6D. looked alright from a distance.
Sounds tasty....did you at least get your free chocolate bar? That's the only thing I don't like about row 6....having to watch people eat food I want...or worse, when someone in F, maybe someone who flies a lot of flights to PHX , says, "No thanks"....at least offer it to the poor guy sitting 2 feet behind you!
Old May 2, 2016, 1:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Lax-pdx 3:40

MVP Upgraded to up front :P

Snacks- plain pretzels

"Light lunch" Some sort of chicken salad. It was mayonnaise based so I politely declined. It is just one of the no thank you things for me on a plane. Husband had it and was fine.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date: April 23rd, 2016
Flight: AS #92
Route: ANC-SEA
Departure: Scheduled for 2:25 PM
Flight Time: 3 Hours 19 minutes
Class: First
Meal: Turkey & Pastrami Sandwich

Comments: I started things off with a Bloody Mary and then delved into my bag of accompaniments for a sachet of Tabasco Sauce. Pretzels were offered but as always I came prepared with a sleeve of mouth watering Blue Diamond Smoked Almonds.

The single option on order was a Turkey Pastrami sandwich served on a ciabatta roll. I don't particularly care for pastrami but in combination with the turkey it worked well for me. The sandwich included cheese and an onion/pepper relish. On the side was a portion of cold bean salad accented with chopped, grilled onions. The Grey Poupon packet was supplied per moi. After the meal, I enjoyed the cookie with a cup of coffee served piping hot with Baileys.

It's worth noting with regard to the coffee that not all FA's appreciate the satisfaction derived from drinking truly hot coffee and Baileys. That is to say that many of them simply take a cup of coffee and then poor a bottle of Baileys in, often resulting in a tepid and unsatisfying drink. Thankfully my FA this afternoon took the small extra step to deliver a properly hot coffee and Baileys. She did a great job throughout the flight.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 3, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old May 3, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Sounds tasty....did you at least get your free chocolate bar?
yes, FA offered a cocktail, and i simply said "no thanks but i'd love a chocolate bar if you have one". noble dark was produced with a smile along side my coffee.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AS MVP Gold 100K, AS MM, Avis First
Breakfast offering AS 407 SJC-PDX this morning

UGH...this morning on AS we were served a new breakfast sandwich. Traveling this route every week, I kind of like the first of the month to see what's on the menu for the rest of the month. Unfortunately, I'm not looking forward to the May breakfast.

To begin there was the typical fruit plate, grapes, strawberry (1/2 of one), and melon.

The main course was a breakfast sandwich. The FA said it was an egg creation, but upon receiving my tray, the bread (which was loaded with every popular grain around...and not very tasty)was slathered with some kind of cream cheese, there was a slice of another cheese, some sliced tomatoes, and two small pieces of spinach. It was heated and served in the wrapper. No plate for the sandwich.

I gave it a go and ate about 1/2 of the sandwich before wrapping it back up and eating the fruit.

IMHO the sandwich was messy (hot tomatoes tend to become juicy and drip) and not very tasty. It might have been better served on a plate where you could cut it up or deconstruct it and eat the pieces you might like.

I do get a little tired of the yogurt with granola, but I'd take that any day over this breakfast sandwich. I remember when we'd get a scone and fruit for breakfast in F...maybe AS should go back to the scone and fruit model!
Old May 3, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 95037
UGH...this morning on AS we were served a new breakfast sandwich. Traveling this route every week, I kind of like the first of the month to see what's on the menu for the rest of the month. Unfortunately, I'm not looking forward to the May breakfast.

To begin there was the typical fruit plate, grapes, strawberry (1/2 of one), and melon.

The main course was a breakfast sandwich. The FA said it was an egg creation, but upon receiving my tray, the bread (which was loaded with every popular grain around...and not very tasty)was slathered with some kind of cream cheese, there was a slice of another cheese, some sliced tomatoes, and two small pieces of spinach. It was heated and served in the wrapper. No plate for the sandwich.

I gave it a go and ate about 1/2 of the sandwich before wrapping it back up and eating the fruit.

IMHO the sandwich was messy (hot tomatoes tend to become juicy and drip) and not very tasty. It might have been better served on a plate where you could cut it up or deconstruct it and eat the pieces you might like.

I do get a little tired of the yogurt with granola, but I'd take that any day over this breakfast sandwich. I remember when we'd get a scone and fruit for breakfast in F...maybe AS should go back to the scone and fruit model!
When I first read "breakfast sandwich", I got pretty excited and visions of croissants or English muffins packed with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and/or Tillamook cheddar cheese filled my brain....then I started reading things like hot tomatoes and spinach and I too realized that AS once again over complicated something that's relatively difficult to mess up (like their famous fruit plate with the spicy red seasoning and cucumbers).
Old May 3, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
That Buy On Board Beecher's Breakfast Sandwich they were hawkin' a couple of months ago back behind the curtain would have made a great First Class Breakfast Sandwich.

I'm surprised we've never been offered a decent breakfast burrito. It'd be simple for some trained culinary types to roll up a big fattie, slice it in half, throw some potatoes on the side of the plate and call it bueno. Sheeeii - I could train 'em how to do it meself!!
Old May 3, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Date: May 3, 2016
Flight: AS #22
Route: SEA-ORD
Departure: 12:35p
Flight Time: ~3:45
Meal: Muffuletta sandwich with side of cold green bean salad, cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookie

It certainly won't rival one served in New Orleans, but this was a solid lunch offering. First time I've seen it on AS. Good service, and nuts were served with the first drink instead of after the meal. ^
Old May 3, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Date: May 3, 2016
Flight: AS #22
Route: SEA-ORD
Departure: 12:35p
Flight Time: ~3:45
Meal: Muffuletta sandwich with side of cold green bean salad, cinnamon oatmeal raisin cookie

It certainly won't rival one served in New Orleans, but this was a solid lunch offering. First time I've seen it on AS. Good service, and nuts were served with the first drink instead of after the meal. ^
Ugh, olives (on the sandwich)?? I'm not a picky eater - but I'm very selective with when I care to eat olives.

It wouldn't be so bad if AS matched the competition and had at least two offerings in F, or if they provided the Y BoB gratis.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by United757
Ugh, olives (on the sandwich)?? I'm not a picky eater - but I'm very selective with when I care to eat olives.

It wouldn't be so bad if AS matched the competition and had at least two offerings in F, or if they provided the Y BoB gratis.
Agreed, olives are not a universal favorite; every Alaska Listens that I send in asks for a choice of meals (other than yes/no) on midcons. Taking UA on this route next week for the first time in 7+ years so will see how it compares.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United757

Am I missing something....I don't see any mention of olives in the post???
Old May 3, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Am I missing something....I don't see any mention of olives in the post???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.