Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
(Should I poke the bear with a stick and wonder aloud about F getting the E+ snack...?)
Please don't
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Should I poke the bear with a stick and wonder aloud about F getting the E+ snack...?
My 3 year old granddaughter is the "Bear That Is Not To Be Poked" but when it comes to AS Poke Away
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
263 was delivered early last week and is not in the new configuration.
The first reconfigured aircraft will be out soon.
Sounded like AS is waiting on a certificate from the FAA for its new configuration...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BOB W
I talked to the FA's in the back (I was in 9D) and they told me a few things about what to expect. The first plane will be delivered on 9/24. The E+ seats will be a different color than Y seats (light tan headrests?), the drinks will be complimentary for Golds and 75K's, not just the first one. There will be a different snack box option in E+.

All 800's should be converted by the end of the year. The 900's will change out by the end of Q1 2017.

The FA seemed to be aware of what is coming but as always YMMV

Suggestion: As the roll-out begins, how about adding a tail number section to the wiki for this thread? It would help us track which aircraft have or have not been reconfigured.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:27 pm

Companion certificate

Anyone heard if the Alaska Airlines Visa companion certificate will be allowed for premium economy seats?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS
Excellent question.
Did not even think of this as part of the new roll out.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Looking back at the investor presentation it said:

Target 75 aircraft complete by EOY 2016
Another 90 aircraft complete by EOY 2017 (to total of 165)

737-800 : rows 6-10
737-900 : rows 6-9
E-175s : ?

Note it appears exit rows are not considered part of premium economy judging by the seat map. So would this still be "preferred seating" but without the other premium benefits?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Well at Alaska, currently the preferred plus seats are free and open for selection from time of booking for all Alaska elites. Even Delta elites and AA elites (Platinum & EXP) can choose seats after entering FF#. As you can see, clearly Alaska is the most generous! Time will tell if this benefit changes with the introduction of "premium economy"
So I'm a little confused by preferred plus vs premium economy in the future. My understanding is AS says they're keeping both, but how will that work in practice? PE will be rows 6-10(ish) and will come with more space, a free drink, and the other unspecified ammenities? And then the exit row will be PP and come with the space & drink but nothing else?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but this seems confusing to me.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Looking back at the investor presentation it said:

Target 75 aircraft complete by EOY 2016
Another 90 aircraft complete by EOY 2017 (to total of 165)

737-800 : rows 6-10
737-900 : rows 6-9
E-175s : ?

Note it appears exit rows are not considered part of premium economy judging by the seat map. So would this still be "preferred seating" but without the other premium benefits?
The Embraers are already configured for Y+ in rows 6-8.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I just noticed something interesting... if I look at the seat selection for a flight I've booked for November (AS 680), rows 11, 12, 13, and 14 are gone from the map. Looking at that investor report, it would seem like they might be trying to shift everyone back by a few rows by removing the first set of rows directly behind premium economy. The flight back on the 900 has rows 13 and 14 missing.

My flight a week later to EWR (and return from PHL) do NOT have this adjustment.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sullim4
I just noticed something interesting... if I look at the seat selection for a flight I've booked for November (AS 680), rows 11, 12, 13, and 14 are gone from the map. Looking at that investor report, it would seem like they might be trying to shift everyone back by a few rows by removing the first set of rows directly behind premium economy. The flight back on the 900 has rows 13 and 14 missing.

My flight a week later to EWR (and return from PHL) do NOT have this adjustment.
Could just be an aircraft mismatch? AS's systems can be a bit weird; I had a PDX-ORD flight a while back on -900, and searching for flight to make a new reservation would show that was the case, but on the res it was a -800.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sullim4
Alaska wants to have consistent exit row numbers no matter which type of 737 plane it is and no matter which configuration in front of the exit rows. So as they space rows up front wider apart (whether in F and/or PE) , they have to get rid of some row numbers right behind PE but before the exit rows so that it all ends up at the desired row numbers when they get to the exit rows.

That way they can consistently announce that those in the exit rows can board early, by naming the exit row numbers. (Of course, that boarding order may change a bit once PE is in place.)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Alaska wants to have consistent exit row numbers no matter which type of 737 plane it is and no matter which configuration in front of the exit rows. So as they space rows up front wider apart (whether in F and/or PE) , they have to get rid of some row numbers right behind PE but before the exit rows so that it all ends up at the desired row numbers when they get to the exit rows.

That way they can consistently announce that those in the exit rows can board early, by naming the exit row numbers. (Of course, that boarding order may change a bit once PE is in place.)
I would think the rationale is having consistent PE and Exit Row numbering whenever possible in the event of a plane swap. Those who have reserved or paid for PE/Exit Row will then get to keep it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by channa
I would think the rationale is having consistent PE and Exit Row numbering whenever possible in the event of a plane swap. Those who have reserved or paid for PE/Exit Row will then get to keep it.
That was indeed the rationale. Exit row passengers do not, and have not in the recent past, received early boarding (as another poster has speculated).

Of course, this exit row consistency breaks down a little bit on the -700. Even though the exit rows are numbered the same, there is no extra pitch in these particular rows 16 and 17, unless you happen to be in 17A or 17F and there's no seat in front of you. But the thought is nice.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
That was indeed the rationale. Exit row passengers do not, and have not in the recent past, received early boarding (as another poster has speculated).
This has changed in the last six months? Because before, Row 6 and the exit rows (Preferred Plus) were boarded after MVPs and before the back half of economy on every flight I was on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.