Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Tack
I'm amused at all the fuss over a snack box. I've flow AS PC and thought it was as good as MCE on AA. I like the free drink. The snack box was small, but I'm guessing those that pay for that seat do so for the leg room and early boarding. And, from what I read on here, it is a seat that is worth the money. Last I checked AA, UA and DL charge a bit more for just the seat, no drink or snack. Live in AA's world for a bit and you will come to appreciate what AS is offering. ;-
I've seen people complain that they didn't get the MVPG chocolate... or that it wasn't the kind they wanted.

So.... not too surprising in all honesty.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Tack
Last I checked AA, UA and DL charge a bit more for just the seat, no drink or snack. Live in AA's world for a bit and you will come to appreciate what AS is offering. ;-
UA doesn't provide any perks with economy plus

DL, however, offers free drinks and a much more extensive, filling snack option than AS. But, the per-segment price of DL C+ is on average quite a bit higher than AS premium class I believe.

For instance on my upcoming PHL-ATL-SMF DL ticket, the difference from main to C+ was $70 or 80 IIRC. I think on AS it would be closer to $40-50 but not 100% sure.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
UA doesn't provide any perks with economy plus

DL, however, offers free drinks and a much more extensive, filling snack option than AS. But, the per-segment price of DL C+ is on average quite a bit higher than AS premium class I believe.

For instance on my upcoming PHL-ATL-SMF DL ticket, the difference from main to C+ was $70 or 80 IIRC. I think on AS it would be closer to $40-50 but not 100% sure.
Well, AS is not selling it as separate cabin with a separate fare, is it? So that's closer to the UA model. AFAIK, DL is now selling C+ as a separate cabin (ie, at DL you no longer buy economy and then add on the cost of C+ seats, you have to buy C+ cabin tickets outright IIRC).

Meanwhile, I presume you meant only in-flight perks. Doesn't UA give priority boarding for E+ over E?
Old May 22, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
On my normal route (SEA-LAX), the price delta between Y and Y+ is almost identical, about $30-35 each way. Delta definitely is a better value for a non-elite to buy up to. The Luvo box isn't amazing but it's an okay light snack, and paired with Delta's (inferior) cheese tray, passes as a meal. Can usually score a couple adult beverages on the ~2 hour flights.

Delta is also generally cheaper to buy into F, sometimes only $80ish more (each way) than Y. Alaska is quite often $100-150 difference.

Probably some correlation to my upgrade rates between the two airlines, there. @:-)
Old May 24, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Originally Posted by SOCguy
Regarding the upgrade list....it's confusing. I don't fully understand it so I'm not even going to bother trying to explain it. But if you're on a flight with X number of PC seats and the upgrade list shows X passengers assigned PC seats, you can't equate that to X people got it for free. As has been pointed out, an MVP and non-elite companion in one PNR, a Gold on a cheap ticket, etc. are scenarios that are happening right now.
I'm on a flight this Friday evening with no more seats for sale in Y, but many seats still available for assignment in elite-reserved and PC areas in Y (plus 5 F seats). This is a newer, very-low-elite-traffic route. I'm an MVP, on the same PNR with my wife who does not have status this year, in the elite-reserved part of Y.

Is AS op-up'ing elites and their non-elite companions into PC (or F even) before assigning PC seats to randos?
Old May 24, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Justin Go
I've seen people complain that they didn't get the MVPG chocolate... or that it wasn't the kind they wanted.

So.... not too surprising in all honesty.
Complain about something as trivial as not getting their chocolate bar??? No way, not on Flyertalk....
Old May 24, 2017, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
I'm on a flight this Friday evening with no more seats for sale in Y, but many seats still available for assignment in elite-reserved and PC areas in Y (plus 5 F seats). This is a newer, very-low-elite-traffic route. I'm an MVP, on the same PNR with my wife who does not have status this year, in the elite-reserved part of Y.

Is AS op-up'ing elites and their non-elite companions into PC (or F even) before assigning PC seats to randos?
Op upping to PC? Not sure.

But if Y was overbooked and F was not, wouldn't be surprised to see the two of you move up to the front... but as always, YMMV.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Op upping to PC? Not sure.

But if Y was overbooked and F was not, wouldn't be surprised to see the two of you move up to the front... but as always, YMMV.
Does AS op up by status like that? IME, they don't seem to have much status awareness outside of what the computer does.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, AS is not selling it as separate cabin with a separate fare, is it? So that's closer to the UA model. AFAIK, DL is now selling C+ as a separate cabin (ie, at DL you no longer buy economy and then add on the cost of C+ seats, you have to buy C+ cabin tickets outright IIRC).
ON DL that was sort of true up to earlier this week...now I am seeing C+ offered again as a sort of add on for less than the fare difference from my coach fares to W on some upcoming routes. The tinkering continues...
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:00 pm

Paid to upgrade along with my companion on an LAX-DCA flight. For a four and a half hour flight, it was probably worth the $75 we each paid for the extra legroom. The snack box was - as others have said - quite insufficient and reflects poorly on the airline. Ten almonds, a small bag of goldfish and a mint. Please. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Also, there were five of us in our row, and three brought along pillows to sit on. Slimline seats can be a pain in the rear on long flights, and BYOP may be the new normal.

Will I pay to upgrade to PC again? Maybe. Maybe not. If they offered a better free food selection, and if there was any way to know if the middle seat might be open, those would be key in making that decision.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by DCA-SEA

You have to be a Gold or 75K to have a (single) traveling companion upgraded to F with you. With MVP status, if the companion has no status, neither of you will get the F upgrade no matter how many seats are available.

As far as PC, I actually have no idea. I know I was upgraded to PC with a non-status companion, but I am a Gold, no idea about MVP.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Paid to upgrade along with my companion on an LAX-DCA flight. For a four and a half hour flight, it was probably worth the $75 we each paid for the extra legroom. The snack box was - as others have said - quite insufficient and reflects poorly on the airline. Ten almonds, a small bag of goldfish and a mint. Please. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Also, there were five of us in our row, and three brought along pillows to sit on. Slimline seats can be a pain in the rear on long flights, and BYOP may be the new normal.

Will I pay to upgrade to PC again? Maybe. Maybe not. If they offered a better free food selection, and if there was any way to know if the middle seat might be open, those would be key in making that decision.
It seems like it would be easier just to give Premium Class passengers a choice of the regular snack boxes sold in Y....yes, they might have to load more snack boxes, but they wouldn't have to have a totally separate snack box for Premium Class.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It seems like it would be easier just to give Premium Class passengers a choice of the regular snack boxes sold in Y....yes, they might have to load more snack boxes, but they wouldn't have to have a totally separate snack box for Premium Class.
100% agree. The micro snack currently offered is just silly!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
last Sat I got an email telling me that AS had changed my Premium Class seat on AS207 Mon evening (due to equipment swap, reconfigured 739 to basic 739) and including a $25 e-cert as compensation ... I wasn't about to complain, since I needed to switch to an earlier flight (operating with a 73G) anyway
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It was never meant to be a substantial snack, it was only ever supposed to be an upgraded beverage snack... which it is. It's not only a matter of loading more snack boxes (which, incidentally, require galley space that is currently at a premium), but those snack boxes also cost significantly more. So, the $75 one would pay (assuming they aren't MVPG, in which case it's free) covers the additional real estate in the form of legroom. In addition to that you get free drinks and priority boarding. I don't get the constant snack bashing. Delta does the Luvos snack wraps on longer flights - does any other airline offer free food in their version of Premium Economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.