Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
le sigh about the 738's going to 12F. the increased pitch will be nice, but the decreased upgrade rates will not. i see less travel and more H fares in my future, assuming i'm able to maintain MVPG.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Am I the only person who thinks that having a bunch of different seating classes on a small bird like a 737 is silly? If AS is trying to be more like the legacy carriers they are missing the point entirely.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Bethelite
Am I the only person who thinks that having a bunch of different seating classes on a small bird like a 737 is silly? If AS is trying to be more like the legacy carriers they are missing the point entirely.
Considering that AA, DL, and AA all manage a PE section on their 737s, what's the issue?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by BenA
Ah, crap. I just status matched from Delta and started booking my 2016 travel on AS to avoid Delta's Comfort+ upgrade nonsense. My timing is great... :P

I'm nervous about the lack of details, mostly because they're probably watching DL to see if the changes "stick" over there successfully. Hopefully AS decides to be a bit more generous... The three pieces I care about are that top tier (75K) gets access at time of booking on discounted fares, that one companion on the same PNR gets access to the seating too, and that the AA relationship for main cabin extra remains intact.

I do agree the extra legroom in F is appropriate - it's pretty grim right now, so that part is a welcome change.
My takeaway was that MVP, MVPG and 75K, and companions in there PNR, all get access to Y+ at time of booking. Is that not correct?

I did not understand it to be like Delta whom are selling EconomyComfort as a separate fare class, and separate upgrade inventory to that class.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I am now kind of happy with my decision not to go after the last 8k miles for 75K.

My guess is that this move will be very much in line with DL's plan to only offer E+ to elites if you buy a certain fare class. The question remains if that will be your elite "upgrade" or if you'll still be eligible for F or if there is another caveat they haven't announced.

I wouldn't mind this change so much except for the fact that I hate the Recaro seats and book away (734s) pay for F when I can. If they got rid of the Recaros, I probably wouldn't mind this at all.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Overall, this doesn't sound too bad, and my initial reaction is a positive one. Domestic upgrades aren't much of an improvement over economy in the first place (for me, anyway). So if I miss a few as a result, it's not going to bother me much. Possibly getting a "softer landing" in PE would make it even better if I don't sit all the way up front.

Personally, I was never bothered by the seat pitch in F, despite having long legs. I'm one of those who cares more about shoulder room than legroom. Still, if they add space, you'll get no complaints from me.

Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Considering that AA, DL, and AA all manage a PE section on their 737s, what's the issue?
The issue is that they are AA, DL, and UA. Bad attitudes, lost bags, constant delays, slow boarding process, etc. Why do anything that emulates them?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Hartmann
My guess is that this move will be very much in line with DL's plan to only offer E+ to elites if you buy a certain fare class. The question remains if that will be your elite "upgrade" or if you'll still be eligible for F or if there is another caveat they haven't announced.
actually my understanding of DL's changes is that golds, silvers, and kettles can buy C+ at time of booking by purchasing a W fare. plat and diamond will get C+ when booking a main cabin fare, provided that "W upgrade" inventory (WL) is available. it isn't clear yet how tightly they'll control WL availability relative to W. it is also unclear about the future of F upgrades in this system.

meanwhile, AA and UA have "last MCE/E+ seat availability" for certain elite levels booking a main cabin fare, or all elites w/in their respective pre departure windows. i'm betting that AS will go that direction, provided that AA and UA don't change their programs in the meantime.

the other remaining question is whether Y+ on AS will be free to all elites, or MVPG and 75K only. i am wagering it will be all elites, at least initially.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SamuelS
My takeaway was that MVP, MVPG and 75K, and companions in there PNR, all get access to Y+ at time of booking. Is that not correct?
This upgrade option will be available to Alaska Airlines elite Mileage Plan members on a complimentary basis at booking or day of travel dependent on status and fare purchased.
Bolded for emphasis.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the other remaining question is whether Y+ on AS will be free to all elites, or MVPG and 75K only. i am wagering it will be all elites, at least initially.
I would bet that as it's rolled out it will be free for all elites (especially since airplane roulette could potentially put you in an aircraft without Y+ because the fleet won't be standardized).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The issue is that they are AA, DL, and UA. Bad attitudes, lost bags, constant delays, slow boarding process, etc. Why do anything that emulates them?
Well, then, why have first class either, or jet aircraft, or a frequent flyer program? Doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Well, then, why have first class either, or jet aircraft, or a frequent flyer program? Doesn't make sense.
I prefer not to take things to the philosophical extreme, and thus derail the thread. I will say only that I am skeptical of Alaska's plan, as published at the investors meeting (and obviously lacking much detail at this point). It looks like they are tinkering with a system that has been quite profitable for them, and has produced customer satisfaction far beyond that achieved by the legacy carriers.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like they are tinkering with a system that has been quite profitable for them, and has produced customer satisfaction far beyond that achieved by the legacy carriers.
Agree, but I'd conjecture that Alaska's high customer sat scores come from excellent customer service across the board and a series of small gestures like the on-time bag delivery guarantee. I don't think the AS "system" is successful / profitable owing to its lack of a premium economy product.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:26 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Overall I have mixed emotions with this. Sad to see 73H decrease to 12 seats, but happy to see a legroom increase. Personally I'd prefer the status quo to remain, but I like me the larger front seat.

2 thoughts from this:

Wonder if the seatmap of the 73H with 12 F was a precursor to this change? I was thinking this was to keep flexibility in the fleet, now it may represent the new configuration.

Wonder if the seatmap of the 73H with 12 F was a precursor to this change? I was thinking this was to keep flexibility in the fleet, now it may represent the new configuration.
nah just a computer glitch.......just like the BofA wording for the companion ticket that said " any coach fare" was a glitch 3 months before it happened

So as the 734s and 73Gs get phased out and we all thought it was safe to select row 4 without being downgraded......think again Basically upgrade chances are dropping 25% on 738s. I do however understand airlines are in the business of selling seats and not in the business to make sure all the elites get upgraded 80% of the time. I just wish if this is the route they wish to pursue then go ahead and do it on the 739s too @:-)

Last edited by ANC; Dec 4, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:44 pm

Maybe a dumb question, but the press release states that the E175 currently has 12/64 seats, while the "reconfigured" version will have "12/12/52" seats. Unless this is new math, 12+52 =64, so I don't see where the extra room is coming from on the E175?

Or else there is a typo.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Maybe a dumb question, but the press release states that the E175 currently has 12/64 seats, while the "reconfigured" version will have "12/12/52" seats. Unless this is new math, 12+52 =64, so I don't see where the extra room is coming from on the E175?

Or else there is a typo.
Seat map shows 12 preferred seats, perhaps they already have more space? (I have never been on an AS E175)

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...raft/e175.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.