Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It looks like on page 68 of the investor presentation here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventId=5212772

that exit row isn't part of Premium Economy.

Yay?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by Often1
Calling the Y seat "premium" ought to be a prohibited...same lousy seat with a bit of leg room, maybe a cold wrap and a free drink...
Originally Posted by ashill
I agree; this could lead to confusion with real premium economy products offered on long haul flights
Generally welcome news. But where I come from, PE = better seat and space than Y, better food & bev than Y and on china/in glassware, and premium check-in/luggage/boarding benefits. I personally like to see a footrest of some sort in PE, too.

Maybe this fits in the same category as language evolution, though. If enough airlines race to the bottom and call random benefits (not including the minimums mentioned above) PE, then after a while I guess it really is PE
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
So... less F seats on 738 (vs. 739), but more Y+ seats. Hmm...

I will say, I may get upgraded less (I'm ~50% for this year), at least I should be close to 100% in sitting in a comfortable Y+ seat, so it won't be so bad. This is why I like AA's MCE section.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
As AA EXP, I'm very interested to hear how status based access will go and if AA FF's get in on it.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Currently AA ExPlat can book exit rows at booking. What is the speculation that AA ExPlat will be book the new premium class seats?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Do elites get two free drinks in Premium?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by mikelat
As AA EXP, I'm very interested to hear how status based access will go and if AA FF's get in on it.
Me too. Given that MVPGs get complimentary MCE on AA, AA Plat/EXP had better get the equivalent on AS to the extent AS offers it to their own elites. If not, I assume a modification to the MVPG access to MCE will follow suit.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
yay... about time they "fixed" First Class. I'm booked on 2 fairly long flights next week and I'm debating turning down the upgrade to F (unless row 1 is open). I can at least use my laptop when seated in the exit row, and will also enjoy my courtesy tablet player.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG

Last edited by willyplur; Dec 3, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Do elites get two free drinks in Premium?
I doubt it as MVPG only get 1 free drink in row 6 and exit with the new extra legroom seats.

Me too. Given that MVPGs get complimentary MCE on AA, AA Plat/EXP had better get the equivalent on AS to the extent AS offers it to their own elites. If not, I assume a modification to the MVPG access to MCE will follow suit.
Even if AS doesn't give them to AA Plat/EXP, its only a matter of time before douggie follows little rickie and takes away comp MCE from everyone. Question is will UA follow DL first or will AA
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
It sounds like MVP's are going to get screwed the most. Already on the bottom of the UG hierarchy. But still able to get decent seats in Y, which is what matters most to us.
Now , it seems, we will get to pay more for the priveledge of choosing Preferred seating.
Some of us work hard just to keep MVP as we are not business travelers but, travel for leisure only. It was worth the effort for access to these seats.
I guess we should enjoy what we have while we have it
You're right...this will have the greatest negative affect on MVPs....their days of booking row 6 at booking are numbered. During my UA days, as a Silver, you couldn't book E+ seats until 24 hours prior to the flight which wasn't too bad if you were a single traveler since the higher elites would get upgraded out of their seats leaving enough aisles and windows to pick from....the problem was if you were traveling as a family and even though everyone on the elite's PNR got E+ seats at OLCI, it was way more difficult to find multiple seats together.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I believe that AS is purchasing the F seats from Sky High Airlines and using them for PE. Definitely a step up.

Litters will be used to deliver the F Pax to their new, legroom enhanced seats on the 739's while a wailing chorus will be provided for the 738 pax that miss the UG's.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:40 pm

The 739s go from 16/165 to 16/24/138. That means a loss of only 3 economy seats. Given that F is going from 36" to 41" and 24 of those economy seats are getting 3-4" extra legroom (what are they now?), that's going to hurt in the remaining economy seats.

I was just thinking on Tuesday that AS's regular economy seats on the 739 are quite comfortable for me, a 6' person. I guess those days are ending.

Do the exit row seats count as premium class? If so, this may not be so bad, since it would only be 6 seats (one row) of new extra legroom seats, assuming row 6 doesn't need to be changed.

The way this is described, it sounds like a separate booking class like DL's new domestic comfort+. That makes me very nervous about availability for AA elites as well as companions of elites; will it be limited to only one companion, like DL?
Actually, the math mostly works out here. I'm assuming they're dropping the extra half row that's shoehorned into the back right side of the 739, but you only need one row's worth of space to make this work:

4 rows of F x 5" per row = 20"
4 rows of Y+ x 4" per row = 12"
Total = 32" => 1 current row of seats.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Ah, crap. I just status matched from Delta and started booking my 2016 travel on AS to avoid Delta's Comfort+ upgrade nonsense. My timing is great... :P

I'm nervous about the lack of details, mostly because they're probably watching DL to see if the changes "stick" over there successfully. Hopefully AS decides to be a bit more generous... The three pieces I care about are that top tier (75K) gets access at time of booking on discounted fares, that one companion on the same PNR gets access to the seating too, and that the AA relationship for main cabin extra remains intact.

I do agree the extra legroom in F is appropriate - it's pretty grim right now, so that part is a welcome change.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Actually, the math mostly works out here. I'm assuming they're dropping the extra half row that's shoehorned into the back right side of the 739, but you only need one row's worth of space to make this work:

4 rows of F x 5" per row = 20"
4 rows of Y+ x 4" per row = 12"
Total = 32" => 1 current row of seats.
Minor note: (4 * 5) + (4 * 4) = 36
If it's 3 inches per Y row then it works out to be 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.