Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Calling the Y seat "premium" ought to be a prohibited. But, it's not.
I agree; this could lead to confusion with real premium economy products offered on long haul flights on some airlines (which are, of course, very similar in hard product to domestic F). UA, DL, and AA all carefully avoid making their product sound like premium economy.

This just looks like AA's MCE, UA's E+ and DL's C+. Same lousy seat with a bit of leg room, maybe a cold wrap and a free drink. The tradeoff is the F seat which would have gone to freebie UG's.
Maybe free inflight entertainment tablets?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm fine with these changes even if my upgrade % drops a bit on the transcons that are operated by 738s. Would be nice if AS follows AA and offers 75Ks a free snack if in Y then I wouldn't care about these changes at all.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
Do the exit row seats count as premium class? If so, this may not be so bad, since it would only be 6 seats (one row) of new extra legroom seats, assuming row 6 doesn't need to be changed.
Sure hope so, though I hope bonehead upgrade logic isn't a problem ("sure, let's 'upgrade' you from exit row aisle to premium middle").
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:07 pm

Hi -

1) If you are flying international in Y+, now AS can put you in Y+ on their feeder flight.

2) I am sure we all agree that adding extra space in F is a good thing. This is also the next response to FCM pricing from other carriers. If you can get a seat in F for (in many cases) far less on DL than a F fare on AS, people will book away from AS. Enhancing the F experience will lead to more F sales. Y+ will become the new upgrade class for the lengthy upgrade waitlists now seen at the gate.

3) Over time, will one have to buy a Y+ fare to be waitlisted for F?

4) AS is aligning their service levels with UA/AA/DL. Hopefully they won't align everything.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sure hope so, though I hope bonehead upgrade logic isn't a problem ("sure, let's 'upgrade' you from exit row aisle to premium middle").
It could be a positive thing if the exit rows are NOT premium economy class - that way elites have at least some seat selection options with legroom at booking.

I hope this doesn't turn into a whole upgrade/waitlist thing like Delta is proposing with their premium economy. Hopefully, they will just open the seats for selection at check-in for those eligible for the "upgrade", like they do now with preferred seats for non-elites.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Overall I have mixed emotions with this. Sad to see 73H decrease to 12 seats, but happy to see a legroom increase. Personally I'd prefer the status quo to remain, but I like me the larger front seat.

2 thoughts from this:

Wonder if the seatmap of the 73H with 12 F was a precursor to this change? I was thinking this was to keep flexibility in the fleet, now it may represent the new configuration.

And HA was adding lie flat seats. No this isn't a lie-flat seat, but does compete with HA's seat pitch in F more on domestic configured aircraft.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)And HA was adding lie flat seats. No this isn't a lie-flat seat, but does compete with HA's seat pitch in F more on domestic configured aircraft.
This does make it easier to swap to a different FC seat in the future if they want, with the extra room and expectation of 12 FC seats. I'm not betting on that, but it could happen.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Why are people lamenting F goring from 16 to 12. What is the point of scoring a UG if the seats are no good. I am glad they are reducing the size of the F cabins and increasing the pitch ^. Ya our UG % may drop but F product will be better. I call that a wash if not a win.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Madone59
Why are people lamenting F goring from 16 to 12. What is the point of scoring a UG if the seats are no good. I am glad they are reducing the size of the F cabins and increasing the pitch ^. Ya our UG % may drop but F product will be better. I call that a wash if not a win.
2x2 seating with a large armrest in between is far superior than 3x3 seating where you're shoulder-to-shoulder with the next person. Lateral distance is as critical as seat pitch to feel like you're not in a sardine can.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by blueheronNC
2x2 seating with a large armrest in between is far superior than 3x3 seating where you're shoulder-to-shoulder with the next person. Lateral distance is as critical as seat pitch to feel like you're not in a sardine can.
Leg room is nice, but shoulder room is better. (Obviously this depends on your frame.)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Many people complained that AS' F pitch was not competitive and should be increased. Well, they got their wish.

I'm not gonna say I predicted that more spacious F pitch would come at the price of fewer F seats but...

I was quite satisfied with the status quo and I'm sure that comp upgrades will be tougher to score in the months ahead.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS
It sounds like MVP's are going to get screwed the most. Already on the bottom of the UG hierarchy. But still able to get decent seats in Y, which is what matters most to us.
Now , it seems, we will get to pay more for the priveledge of choosing Preferred seating.
Some of us work hard just to keep MVP as we are not business travelers but, travel for leisure only. It was worth the effort for access to these seats.
I guess we should enjoy what we have while we have it
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
At first blush not a real loss to me as MVPG in Seattle since 75Ks get all the upgrades anyway.

Unless it's a GGC - upgrades not really happening for me.

Being short - I value shoulder room over legroom in any event. Not really getting an increase in shoulder room either way.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Here's the full text of the release - with a few highlighted areas - since not everyone clicks through to read an article before asking questions or forming an opinion.
Alaska Airlines to Introduce a New Premium Class Section

Today at its annual Investor Day, Alaska Airlines announced plans to roll-out a Premium Class section. Beginning in late 2016, the new upgrade option will provide more legroom and other perks to customers.

Customers who upgrade to Premium Class will get priority boarding and enjoy three to four inches more legroom compared with a standard coach seat. In addition, Alaska Airlines plans to offer additional amenities to further enhance the Premium Class in-flight experience. This upgrade option will be available to Alaska Airlines elite Mileage Plan members on a complimentary basis at booking or day of travel dependent on status and fare purchased.
Upgrade pricing and details on the included amenities will be announced closer to customer availability.

"Premium Class will provide an opportunity for all customers to get an enhanced flight experience," said Andrew Harrison, executive vice president and chief commercial officer at Alaska Airlines. "We are listening to our customers and they have told us that more personal space and extra perks are a priority."
Alaska plans to retrofit up to 60 aircraft with the Premium Class section by the end of 2016 and the remainder of its 737-800, -900 and -900ER fleet by the end of 2017. The upgrade option will also be available on Embraer 175s, operated by SkyWest, which are configured with 12 seats in the Premium Class section.

Preferred Plus seating , currently available for purchase at check-in for bulkhead and exit rows, will continue to be offered on Alaska 737-400s and -700s.

Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Alaska Airlines has made significant investments to provide more value and improve the customer experience for everyone throughout the aircraft, which includes plans to outfit all of its 737-800s and 737-900s with larger overhead bins that increase room for carry-on baggage by 48 percent , providing personal power outlets at every seat*, as well as custom-designed slim-line leather seats.
Alaska offers all customers easy main cabin seat selection at no cost on alaskaair.com or using the Alaska Airlines mobile app. Customers may also purchase first class and Preferred Plus upgrades when available, on a first-come, first-served basis during the 24-hour check-in window.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I think it's a good move.

I booked away from AS for a GEG-MCO business trip in January because I was able to buy DL discounted F for a $400 dollar premium over AS coach. AS F would have been about $400 more than the discounted DL F.

I'd rather give AS the money than DL --- increased pitch in the Y cabin is something I'm willing to pay for.

And if AS increases the pitch in AS F, I might be willing to pay for the better F experience as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.