Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SDC question - overnight flights/connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

A bit of a grey area perhaps...

Looking at booking a flight XXX-SEA-XXX on a Tuesday, where the first segment leaves late evening around 11pm, and arrives in SEA at around 2am on Wednesday, with the next connecting flight leaving at 9am Wednesday on to the destination.

If I were to SDC, then per the rules, MVPG can SDC starting at 10pm the day before the confirmed flight (Monday).

As it's booked as a continuous through ticket, and not as separate point to point, how does AS treat the connecting flight?

I may be finished early and could take an earlier flight, so I am hoping I'd be able to SDC the entire married segments/journey on the Monday night at the 10pm window onto an earlier flight on Tuesday arriving final destination late on Tuesday night. But I'm concerned that AS system may see the connecting flight as being the next day (even though it's a continuous connection), and thus won't allow the SDC.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think it will only allow the flight the first day to be changed.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think it will only allow the flight the first day to be changed.
That's what I was thinking might happen too..
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I am not totally clear on what you are trying to do, however I do know that if you try to SDC and any connection is over 4 hours the systems views it as invalid and it wont let the SDC go throught.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:24 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I don't think you would be able to do it online but an airport agent might be able to help you.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:29 pm

Hi -

Per the rules, the flight the next day can be changed to any flight THAT DAY. If I read it right, that means any flight on Wednesday.

That said, I was able (once) to move from an AM shuttle flight to the last shuttle flight the night before. I was connecting from an AS flight. I had to go to the customer service center.

It probably helped that the plane I was connecting to was empty.

And it probably helped that I was G75.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Delta Plat, HHonors Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Silver
It won't be allowed online because it strictly it doesn't follow the rules, however if you call in and ask about your reservation and they can clarify if it should be allowed.

I had to do this once and they put a note on the file saying it should be allowed when I call in the day before at 10 pm (I'm MVPG... not sure if status helped with that....)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmonkey05
It won't be allowed online because it strictly it doesn't follow the rules, however if you call in and ask about your reservation and they can clarify if it should be allowed.

I had to do this once and they put a note on the file saying it should be allowed when I call in the day before at 10 pm (I'm MVPG... not sure if status helped with that....)
Thanks for sharing this. Good to get a data point!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think OP's idea is to complete the entire trip on Tues evening rather than actually arriving at destination on Wed due to the ~7hr SEA layover ... I have to believe that SDC logic will see a continuous trip originating at 11pm Tue, and will therefore allow a change to any valid connections, departing earlier that day, when OP makes the SDC request after 11pm on Mon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.