Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
2016 changes

Has anyone heard about any changes for 2016??

the issues are:

(1) American Airlines

--it appears American will discount economy seat miles next year on Alaska Airlines:
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....anuary-1-2016/

What will Alaska do if you fly on American Airlines plane on (a) an Alaskan Airlines ticket purchase(like SEA-ORD-???), or (2) you buy on American but use your AS number for your ticket, or (3) you buy an American ticket but fly a leg on AS (SEA-DFW-MCI---you cant purchase this thru AS but can thru AA where SEA-DFW can be an AS flight)

When delta decreased the mileage, Alaska responded by decreasing on AS. they just decreased miles but not legs.

(2) Delta Airlines

Will the partnership end????

I'm thinking next year I will have a better shot to maintain with legs/segments than be just short with miles (being around 22,000 with AS and partners but flying at least 8 round trip flights next year.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ll-follow.html

Apparently we need additional speculation...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:46 pm

Once again, unless there is an upper-level employee who is willing to risk their job by disclosing information they may possess, you're asking anonymous people on the internet to speculate?

The AA board has JonNYC, who is apparently fed inside information. The AS board has no such person that posts similar information.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ll-follow.html

Apparently we need additional speculation...
I think this is a more general thread about potential 2016 changes to AS Mileage Plan while that is a thread focusing on mileage earning on AA partner flights...way more specific and honestly, as a person who almost never flies AA or DL, not that interesting.

In 2016, I predict that AS Mileage Plan will...

1. Start allowing AS elites on award tickets to be added to the upgrade list (at the bottom of course)....hey, I can hope, right? All the changes don't necessarily have to be negative

2. Provide a complimentary fresh food or snack item to MVPG/75Kers in Y.

3. Provide AS Beyond codes to elites that allow for 2 free tv shows or 1 free movie per flight (when they are not on flights with tablets).

4. Allow LEGAL (ie, reasonable) routing changes on SDC...for example, allow PDX-SEA-LAX in place of PDX-LAX or vice versa.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

787 orders!

I can dream, right?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
In 2016, I predict that AS Mileage Plan will...

1. Start allowing AS elites on award tickets to be added to the upgrade list (at the bottom of course)....hey, I can hope, right? All the changes don't necessarily have to be negative

2. Provide a complimentary fresh food or snack item to MVPG/75Kers in Y.

3. Provide AS Beyond codes to elites that allow for 2 free tv shows or 1 free movie per flight (when they are not on flights with tablets).

4. Allow LEGAL (ie, reasonable) routing changes on SDC...for example, allow PDX-SEA-LAX in place of PDX-LAX or vice versa.

FWIW, I think this is a great list, and one that is not exactly shooting for the stars (read: what AS competitors are already offering for their elites).
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is a more general thread about potential 2016 changes to AS Mileage Plan while that is a thread focusing on mileage earning on AA partner flights...way more specific and honestly, as a person who almost never flies AA or DL, not that interesting
One of OP's original questions:

"What will Alaska do if you fly on American Airlines plane on (a) an Alaskan Airlines ticket purchase(like SEA-ORD-???), or (2) you buy on American but use your AS number for your ticket, or (3) you buy an American ticket but fly a leg on AS (SEA-DFW-MCI---you cant purchase this thru AS but can thru AA where SEA-DFW can be an AS flight)"

Seemed relevant to my thread...

But hey, far be it from me to discourage speculation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ad-2010-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ad-2011-a.html

The upgrade lists would actually have to work when they do last minute additions to them. Every time I've SDC'ed this year, I've been dropped entirely from the upgrade list and have had to ask to be re-added at the gate. Maybe they could fix that before adding elites on awards?

Allow LEGAL (ie, reasonable) routing changes on SDC...for example, allow PDX-SEA-LAX in place of PDX-LAX or vice versa.
I don't see that routing changes are any less reasonable than co-terminal ones... and co-terminal ones used to work (they don't any more).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 24, 2015 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

When SDC'ing there's a link on your reservation that says 'complimentary upgrade', just click it. Not everyone wants an upgrade, hence its a manuual process to be added to the WL.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa

When SDC'ing there's a link on your reservation that says 'complimentary upgrade', just click it. Not everyone wants an upgrade, hence its a manuual process to be added to the WL.
Never seen this in the iOS app.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Never seen this in the iOS app.
I pull it up on the main website; don't think its accessible from an app. Maybe that would be a good fix too.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
To be totally honest, seeing what is happening on all the other airlines, I would be happy if Alaska just leaves everything as is!!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:39 am
Suspended

Now that AA has changed its mileage accrual policy from one based on miles flown to spend, AS is the only one left with a traditional mileage program.
How long do you think that will last?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Now that AA has changed its mileage accrual policy from one based on miles flown to spend, AS is the only one left with a traditional mileage program.
As long as it makes business sense to do so.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
A few years ago a Southwest flyer might have said:
"Now that all the other airlines are charging for checked bags, Southwest is the only one left with a traditional baggage allowance.
How long do you think that will last?"

It's fair to assume that earning on AA partner flights will be changing for the worse, but if AS decides that Mileage Plan should continue to be something that distinguishes them from their competitors, as WN does with luggage fees, it could continue as it is for long time.

Or, as flytoeat said, one day they'll decide it's better for business to follow the lead of the other carriers.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calculon
A few years ago a Southwest flyer might have said:
"Now that all the other airlines are charging for checked bags, Southwest is the only one left with a traditional baggage allowance.
How long do you think that will last?"
JetBlue had a similar free-bag policy as Southwest. Wall Street didn't like it and demanded B6 implement one. Now you pay $20 for the first bag.
I am sure Southwest is now in the crosshairs as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.