Wiki Posts
Search

2016 changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
I think it's reasonable to expect that cheap AA fare classes will yield fewer MP miles. My guess is sometime later in 2016
They will be forced to by AA just like they were forced by DL to change earnings. It will be just like the DL announcement except this time AA announced first. Most AS partners have lower earnings on lower fares so technically AS already has a "revenue" based program. All the new partners have gone on with limited earning so the trend will continue. I believe FJ, QF and LA are the only other ones left (not completely sure if there are 0 earning fare for these 3)

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Wow, I have been turned down on that several times, they tell me it has to be the exact same route.
There are some reps that seem to bend the rules and some people misinterpret these things as official policies. The official rule is no routing changes.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:44 pm

Hi -

I too have been told that it has to be the exact same routing. For that reason, if I have a chance of coming home early to PDX, I will often take an connecting flight through SEA (as opposed to a nonstop), as they have more frequencies on a route. (The extra 500 EQM is secondary. Really.)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by becca1
You can already do that it just has to be done through reservations because they have to reissue the ticket.

If your switching from nonstop to connecting they charge you an additional landing tax right around 7 dollars and if your switching connecting to nonstop you get that landing tax back as a credit.
I switched PDX-SEA-LAX to PDX-LAX and received a credit of $8.50. It took a few minutes on the phone; sounds like a reissue to me.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:45 pm

Giving fewer EQM on lower fare buckets IS a proxy for revenue. This already exists for partners, including Delta.

It's not perfect (see Air Canada adding AQD in 2017 despite already granting 25% and 50% AQM on discounted economy buckets), but it's easy to implement.

R, G, T fares earn 50% EQM, and bam, you are adding a revenue component.

In reality, I expect Alaska to maintain lower requirements on pure AS metal for qualification, but also maintain full mileage for AS flights.

More miles needed using partners plus fewer miles on discounted partner buckets will encourage people to fly AS over DL and AA
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Show girls on LAS flights
Gogo boys on PSP, PVR, and SFO flights.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by crimsona
More miles needed using partners plus fewer miles on discounted partner buckets will encourage people to fly AS over DL and AA
The spread between pure AS miles and partner miles for status needs to be increased now that partner miles in int'l flights also count. 15K more to get to 75K is nothing with int'l travel included.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 98103
Show girls on LAS flights
Gogo boys on PSP, PVR, and SFO flights.
Maybe hula girls on See Inset Airways?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
The spread between pure AS miles and partner miles for status needs to be increased now that partner miles in int'l flights also count. 15K more to get to 75K is nothing with int'l travel included.
The spread is way too high as it is. We get penalized because AS doesn't have long haul international flights. Less of an issue now but i gave up my 75K on AS because the benefits were crap compared to what i got on other carriers for the same number of miles. Remember if we earn our status on long haul international partners we aren't using many of the benefits AS provides to elites so i don't see where the hate comes from. Heck if you are flying out of most east coast cities we cant even use the SDC or standby benefits.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
"..now...also..."

Since when haven't international partner miles counted?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
"..now...also..."

Since when haven't international partner miles counted?
January 14th, 2014. See Huge: Alaska Airlines Enhances Mileage Plan-Can Earn EQM on All Intl partners 1-15-14 for the thread (summary: BA, CX, FJ, KE, and QF were changed to give EQM whereas before they were RDM only)
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
January 14th, 2014. See Huge: Alaska Airlines Enhances Mileage Plan-Can Earn EQM on All Intl partners 1-15-14 for the thread (summary: BA, CX, FJ, KE, and QF were changed to give EQM whereas before they were RDM only)
Understood - eqm earning was expanded to include additional international partners, but international partners AA, DL, AF, KL, LA, always allowed credit.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:55 am

Understood - eqm earning was expanded to include additional international partners, but international partners AA, DL, AF, KL, LA, always allowed credit.
I still presume that's what BOB W was talking about.
Looking at it, if you were flying around the eastern hemisphere it could have made a big difference. And adding BA isn't a small thing either for people going to Europe. Also, on paper DL/KL/AF would contribute a lot of EQM but booking their flights is annoying since there are a ton of codeshares and you theoretically don't get credit for those on AS.

Now I'm wondering what the breakdown of EQM per partner is, hmm. Probably not data that's been published ever.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I still presume that's what BOB W was talking about.
That is exactly what I am talking about. As far as the up thread statement about the AS benefits being "Crap", I beg to differ and quite enjoy them.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Maybe hula girls on See Inset Airways?
Only with the firejuggling boys.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
I pull it up on the main website; don't think its accessible from an app. Maybe that would be a good fix too.
Yeah, I did that on the main website after SDC. No love. "Upgrade request successful", but still no "--- First Class waitlisted ---".

So, how about fixing that in 2016, AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.