Alaska MVP Benefits on AA

Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I booked an AA flight on as.com for the end of June so definitely not within 24hrs yet. On as.com, there were only 2 middle seats at the back available so I didn't bother selecting one. When I checked my res on AA, it offered me all the MCE and preferred seats for free. Was this a score or is this normal? I selected row 9 and even today, it is still giving me all the MCE seats for $0.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
I booked an AA flight on as.com for the end of June so definitely not within 24hrs yet. On as.com, there were only 2 middle seats at the back available so I didn't bother selecting one. When I checked my res on AA, it offered me all the MCE and preferred seats for free. Was this a score or is this normal? I selected row 9 and even today, it is still giving me all the MCE seats for $0.
That's because your MVPG. Only MVP has to wait 24hours at check-in. MVPG and 75K's get MCE free at time of booking.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is that T-24 from the departure of your AA flight, or just when OLCI becomes available? I have an AS-AA trip and wondered if the AA system would let me pick a MCE seat for free when I checked-in online even though it would still be more than T-24 before the AA flight.
I think it's 24 hours before the flight. I've been burned by checking in to a connecting from partner flight and then not able to change the seat at T-24 or later. AA phone agent said she wasn't able to change the seat after checkin and to see an airport agent. Of course the seats were gone by then.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I think it's 24 hours before the flight. I've been burned by checking in to a connecting from partner flight and then not able to change the seat at T-24 or later. AA phone agent said she wasn't able to change the seat after checkin and to see an airport agent. Of course the seats were gone by then.
Ok, I'll wait until T-24 before the CONNECTING AA flight....do you suggest changing the AA seat at T-24 on the AA website or will it let you pick a MCE seat when you check-in on the AS site?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Is that T-24 from the departure of your AA flight, or just when OLCI becomes available? I have an AS-AA trip and wondered if the AA system would let me pick a MCE seat for free when I checked-in online even though it would still be more than T-24 before the AA flight.
In my experience it's twenty-four hours before the segment.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

Ok, I'll wait until T-24 before the CONNECTING AA flight....do you suggest changing the AA seat at T-24 on the AA website or will it let you pick a MCE seat when you check-in on the AS site?
I'd do change first then check in.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I believe you can purchase MCE prior to the flight at a 50% discount. As an MVPG 75K, I've been able to grab it at time of booking - but I typically never do it when booked on as.com -> I'll go to AA.com and do it there. The AA seatmap on AS.com is not always correct.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I believe you can purchase MCE prior to the flight at a 50% discount.
That's right. AA's seatmap won't give any indication that it's a reduced price but a dummy booking should show the full price at twice the amount.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:15 pm

Just booked a ticket just now on AA and saw they had updated a few things, in light of the partnership benefits going away next year. Apparently 75K's now get three checked bags free instead of two until January.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Just booked a ticket just now on AA and saw they had updated a few things, in light of the partnership benefits going away next year. Apparently 75K's now get three checked bags free instead of two until January.
Been that way for a while. Wasn't a published benefit before, but was there ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.