Community
Wiki Posts
Search

earning MVP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

On second thought, I have 7.8k EQM in my AA account. What do you think of going for AA? and have AS match it if I need to?

My other question is how soon do I get the status? right after flying? and is it valid till end of next year? does it start in january?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by mohammadmoghimi
Yeah the issue is how to do the transcon flight on AS. From ITH, I can connect via DTW (DL) and PHL (AA) from those two cities I have to fly to SEA to get on the AS routes.
You can connect to an STS flight in LAX, SEA, SAN & PDX.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:28 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by wwongo
I don't know if Ithaca would be similar but I travel from Seattle to Albany, NY and I find it often works to fly direct to one of the NYC airports and then take the train to Albany. There are no direct flights to the west coast from the Albany airport, so I need to change at least once and often adding the train is the lower cost alternative. It also lets me fly Alaska, since most of the flights into the Albany airport are United. Once when we had tons of bags, I found an Albany limo company that did regular shuttle service to the NYC airports for about the same price as the train. Since Ithaca has a large university it may have a similar service.
I find it easier when going to CWA or MSN to just fly to or from MKE and ORD. Usually rent a car or even better, know someone in MKE that leaves a car in the parking lot for to use. Ends up being cheaper renting cars to drive to MKE now cheaper than it is to fly from CWA where the segment adds astronomical costs to the fare, you would think its ADK or something. $1000 and some odd change for the lowest available GGU eligible fares RT. Lowest available is usually $800 or $900 RT. Sometimes though with MSN, adding a MSN-ORD segment will actually make the fare cheaper than if I just flew AS metal ORD-ANC
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

So I just passed MVP threshold. I have 32k with another 6k qualifying miles AA trip.

What are the benefits? Is it possibly to get upgraded on AA flight from PHL->SFO with MVP status?

I can also go for MVP gold but honestly I don't think it is worth my time. The website says I get two free checked luggages. Can I have a third one if I the airline's credit card?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K
So I just passed MVP threshold. I have 32k with another 6k qualifying miles AA trip.

What are the benefits? Is it possibly to get upgraded on AA flight from PHL->SFO with MVP status?

I can also go for MVP gold but honestly I don't think it is worth my time. The website says I get two free checked luggages. Can I have a third one if I the airline's credit card?
Details on the AS site at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
MVP's big benefits are better seat selection, free baggage, and bonus RDM. No AS elite level gives upgrades on AA flights.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

What about AS flights TO/FROM SEA? Do MVPs get a chance? Whenever I'm flying I see a long list of people on the screen seeking upgrades which is telling me that the higher tiered flyers are getting them. Is this true?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
What about AS flights TO/FROM SEA? Do MVPs get a chance?
depends on your east coast destination ... I'm 2/2 on IAD-SEA since making MVP in July, but 0/2 to/from BWI
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
depends on your east coast destination ... I'm 2/2 on IAD-SEA since making MVP in July, but 0/2 to/from BWI
Was any of those a red eye?

I actually meant within west coast flights? or perhaps hawaii. There aren't way too many AS east coast flights.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Was any of those a red eye?

I actually meant within west coast flights? ...
IAD-SEA is a ~630pm departure, my UGs were on Wed and Sat (in other words, timing is everything ...)

I'm 5/6 on SEA<-->SoCal, mostly mid-week ... late morning southbound and late evening northbound; 2/2 PDX-LAX on weekday evenings

I'm also 3/3 on the LAX-BWI redeye -- all as MVP
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:12 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
What about AS flights TO/FROM SEA? Do MVPs get a chance? Whenever I'm flying I see a long list of people on the screen seeking upgrades which is telling me that the higher tiered flyers are getting them. Is this true?
SEA-ORD redeye especially on a non peak travel day. Not that flying a 3 hour red eye in F is all that special. Your best bet as MVP or even Gold is non peak travel days like Saturdays or Wednesdays for any flight. Flying out of SEA Sunday evening and Monday morning would probably be the worst times to try. Monday morning you cant even find a seat in the boardroom let alone an upgrade seat

Last edited by ANC; Nov 26, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Details on the AS site at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
MVP's big benefits are better seat selection, free baggage, and bonus RDM. No AS elite level gives upgrades on AA flights.
I have a question about free baggage. I booked an AA cash flight with my AS mileage plan number. But the website shows no free checked baggage.

I called AA and got the same response.
Then I called AS, they told me to remove and add the AS FF# number??? Looks a tech guy who tells you to reboot your computer ) and I don't even know how to do it.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I have a question about free baggage. I booked an AA cash flight with my AS mileage plan number. But the website shows no free checked baggage.

I called AA and got the same response.
Then I called AS, they told me to remove and add the AS FF# number??? Looks a tech guy who tells you to reboot your computer ) and I don't even know how to do it.

Any thoughts?
First, the MVP on AA stuff is specifically at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx and says "Checked Baggage Fee Waiver for First Bag* for MVP® members"

You say no free bags are showing up. Did you book the ticket before you got to MVP? Or just after? If so, then (my impression is that) the reservation system loads your information when you book the ticket - it doesn't check every time you try to do something. So, removing your number and then re-adding it should cause your information to get reloaded.
Beyond that, AA only gets information on elite levels from AS every so often (twice a week?), so if you booked right after getting MVP then it's worth trying to remove/re-add your number a week or two later.

If that doesn't work, I don't have any brilliant ideas offhand other than calling back again or taking your MVP card to the airport when you check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.