Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Point of sale terminal battery on AS 17 catches fire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point of sale terminal battery on AS 17 catches fire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Noooo my name disappeared off the upgrade list and on the morning flight I was like 7th. *sad panda* there's only 100 some people in line to talk to the two reps. :P
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by autumnmist
Noooo my name disappeared off the upgrade list and on the morning flight I was like 7th. *sad panda* there's only 100 some people in line to talk to the two reps. :P
call the elite line or tweet @AlaskaAir, they should be able to re-add you, maybe. did a bunch of people bail on the flight meaning you might get into F?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:52 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
This is, at best, a near miss. The difference between a Li+ battery that is smoking and one that is about to release thermal and chemical energy equal to 10X its weight in gasoline is truly the smallest of margins. There is *no* thermal runaway condition in a lithium battery that is minor in any way, and had it actually caught fire, we would presumably be discussing a very different outcome for the flight, as discharging every fire extinguisher onboard a 737 would not extinguish most Li+ battery fires.

The problem is (rarely) the OEM batteries in the device itself. The problem is the engineering quality of the "sleds", where who knows what brand of battery was used, or if the supply chain of the entire battery subsystem was legit.

Moral to the story: where there is "smoke", the risk of fire rapidly approaches 100%, and there is very little chance of successfully quenching a lithium battery full-on fire in the passenger compartment while at altitude.
But do we even know at this point that it was the battery or the sleds that was smoking? While the thread title mentions the battery specifically, all we know for sure (unless I missed something) is that the device overheated and smoke emanated from some part of the iPhone/card reader dock.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
call the elite line or tweet @AlaskaAir, they should be able to re-add you, maybe. did a bunch of people bail on the flight meaning you might get into F?
That's my hope! A bunch bailed because they were only connecting in Seattle anyway for Portland or CA so they went through ORD/DTW instead.

Sadly the elite line says they can't change anything because the tickets are in a "used" status.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's my hope! A bunch bailed because they were only connecting in Seattle anyway for Portland or CA so they went through ORD/DTW instead.

Sadly the elite line says they can't change anything because the tickets are in a "used" status.
will be interesting to see what they do, i bet there is a decent chance they fly those seats empty if they cannot reconcile who is supposed to be upgraded. that or it will be a free for all of sorts.

did AS fly out their own CSRs from Seattle or is DL still handling the flight? what time are you leaving, it's starting to get pretty late there.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

lol oops. Computer system went down (at least we're waiting inside the airport unlike the poor Southwest pax yesterday) and they were already doing seat assignments one by one.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Good to see AS proactively offer $500 to all those PAX
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

will be interesting to see what they do, i bet there is a decent chance they fly those seats empty if they cannot reconcile who is supposed to be upgraded. that or it will be a free for all of sorts.

did AS fly out their own CSRs from Seattle or is DL still handling the flight? what time are you leaving, it's starting to get pretty late there.
Their own. Two people with laptops

Edit: though I'm wondering if it would have been more efficient to fly them out from Newark or the nearest airport instead to start this seat assignment process before the plane even arrived.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Darn no first class. Apparently their contract says that pilots (and maybe crew?) get to be in first class first. So I think all the open seats got taken by them. The rep said that some volunteered to go in coach of their own volition.

If no point of sale terminals because Alaska removed all of them for inspection do we get free dinner? . Or cash only?

To their credit Alaska kept a continuous supply to the gate of sandwiches and pizza throughout the afternoon
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: though I'm wondering if it would have been more efficient to fly them out from Newark or the nearest airport instead to start this seat assignment process before the plane even arrived.
they run pretty lean operations on the east coast, with just enough FTE to keep the counters staffed for the minimal flight load those airports see. this would have meant calling in someone from EWR/DC on their day off to fly up to BUF and deal with this. in SEA/PDX they have a lot more staffing flexibility, so two agents won't be missed, and the agents who stepped up to do this are likely to get a nice bonus or recognition. perhaps they have a special team that they draw off of in situations like this, i have no idea.

good luck getting out of there soon and thanks for all the info you have provided about this unique situation.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Darn no first class. Apparently their contract says that pilots (and maybe crew?) get to be in first class first. So I think all the open seats got taken by them. The rep said that some volunteered to go in coach of their own volition.

If no point of sale terminals because Alaska removed all of them for inspection do we get free dinner? . Or cash only?

To their credit Alaska kept a continuous supply to the gate of sandwiches and pizza throughout the afternoon
Sounds like a pretty bad situation was handled about as well as it could have been, considering the proactive voucher, the food, the attempts to keep pax informed, even some crew offering up their F seats. And this despite even more issues like the computer outage complicating things. Once again AS proves why it is head and shoulders above the rest. And good on you, OP, for seemingly being patient whilst it all get sorted. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got free food and drinks on board, especially if you ask nicely. Hope you get home soon!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

i'll speculate that the original crew flew the original plane to GEG after o/w inspection, that is where they will timeout, and another crew will move the plane back to SEA. [xxx] on the rescue inbound there will be an extra set of pilots to fly the new bird back, the FAs will deadhead out, and then work the flight back. perhaps they will bring a CSR or two as well.
One of the pilots who flew the rescue flight here is sitting across from me. This is the winning description.

Last edited by autumnmist; Oct 12, 2015 at 4:41 pm
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

And we're all boarded!! I should turn off my Li-Ion powered phone right?

The rescue flight pilot says that he got called in on his day off and was like uhh I'm flying to Buffalo!!?!

Nice guy. He's giving his seat in first to Alaska Golds. I kid you not. He just got asked by a FA if he wanted an extra seat and he said no give it to one of the golds a few rows in front. (Not me but I'm short and small and have an aisle seat so F is more a perk than a major deal for me)

He also said original aircraft was fine except needed to replace 2 water and 2 xx fire extinguishers. But they flew it back out just to be cautious.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

FAs still doing manual head counts. One did go down the aisle and said "thanks for being patient all of you. Just imagine the drinks you'll get once you're in the air!"
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Was sitting in SEABR this morning waiting for 75 back home and saw that AS 17 was CANCELED (from Buffalo). I wondered what the hey, I missed the new city service. But this explains it. Thanks for all the updates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.