Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS "Space Bins" on new 737s - Photo Gallery

Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...unch/73577640/

Interesting. In theory, a great idea. Now, actually getting folks to put those carry on bags on there sides like that for stowage.... And this of course all assumes they're regulation size and fit the sizing device....

Still, from 117 bags to 174 bags on the 739's is a pretty impressive up gauge in capacity.

Good on AS for being the first carrier to roll these out!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SamuelS
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...unch/73577640/

Interesting. In theory, a great idea. Now, actually getting folks to put those carry on bags on there sides like that for stowage.... And this of course all assumes they're regulation size and fit the sizing device....

Still, from 117 bags to 174 bags on the 739's is a pretty impressive up gauge in capacity.

Good on AS for being the first carrier to roll these out!
hopefully they will put labels in the back of the bins indicating that rolling bags should be stacked on their sides. i imagine that FAs will also be pretty proactive about the educational process. finally, as the bins become more "mainstream" with adoption by DL and UA, a new expectation will be formed in the public. but for now, i agree that the first steps of implementation could be rocky. hopefully we as FTers can help positively educate our fellow travelers.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Here's a video from the Today show: http://www.today.com/video/boeing-ou...s-541591619969

Neil
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Supposed to be on NBC Nightly News tonight as well. saw the promo at the beginning.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
It's an odd deja vu, I swear I already saw these bin aboard Alaska Airlines earlier this year.... Must have been something else.....

Jiburi
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

They were testing a similar bin that didn't work well at all.

Neil
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
If they could only find a magic way of making coach seating more spacious.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jiburi
It's an odd deja vu, I swear I already saw these bin aboard Alaska Airlines earlier this year.... Must have been something else.....

Jiburi

Was that Project Amber?

I think this is something different... That was a retrofit of non-NG planes, this is Boeing doing something for 737NG only planes.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 9, 2015 at 9:13 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I think they are these:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l-failure.html

and,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...pace-bins.html
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Finkface
That's actually my post, and the bins announced today are different than the test ones I experienced. I confirmed with Alaska via Twitter after the flight.

Neil
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by missamo80
They were testing a similar bin that didn't work well at all.

Neil
Originally Posted by missamo80
That's actually my post, and the bins announced today are different than the test ones I experienced. I confirmed with Alaska via Twitter after the flight.

Neil
What are the differences between the two (if you know)? Do you think the new ones are better? I know you weren't impressed with the test bins so how have they improved these ones?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't know, sorry. I only experienced the other style that wasn't done by Boeing.

Neil
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Finkface
What are the differences between the two (if you know)?
Project Amber is an attempt to retrofit a Boeing Sky Interior-ish cabin into planes that never came with one, and it's not by Boeing.

The article in the first post makes it clear that Boeing won't retrofit non-BSI planes:

While passengers may be excited at the prospect of having more room for their bags, Boeing will only be offering the Space Bins on its new 737s with the "Boeing Sky Interior," the company's branding for the updated airy interiors it installs on its current-generation passenger planes. Airlines already flying 737s with that interior will have the option to retrofit those planes to include the Space Bins – something Alaska Airlines has said it would do.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:30 am

I'd be interested to hear what real passengers think about the reduced head room. Do you even notice it? The irony for many SEA or PDX passengers is that now their luggage will finally fit in the overhead.....only for them to have a connecting flight on a Q400 with enough overhead space for a sandwich (but you better not put cheese on it).
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:58 am

Alaska's 737NG's have had four different bin types installed. Non BSI shelf style (-700 -800 -900), Non BSI Heath Techna "Project Amber" (only on N584AS), BSI pivot bins (last three -800's N536/537/538AS and -900ER's) and the new "Space Bin" pivot bins (N487AS and on).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.