Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737-800 F Seats Terrible

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We don't use upgrades of any sort on AS - we pay full F fare. We just expect a more comfortable seat and a more consistent good dining experience both ways (best that it can be at 35,000 feet).
There's the crux of your issue - value relative to money spent. I never pay for First Class on Alaska because I don't think it's worth it in either seating comfort or the meal service. That said, the 32" pitch in coach and/or the ability to book an exit row seat represent excellent value to me. Alaska's Buy Onboard Meals are also well priced and amongst the best in the industry.

Back in the 70s and 80s I often paid full fare for First Class but then the seating was more spacious and the meals were more elaborate. (I remember flying Alaska's new 727-200 between SFO and SEA back in 1979. The plane featured spacious and comfortable First Class seats and we were served a three course dinner on the one hour and forty minute flight.)

That said, from the perspective of one who enjoys First Class via the occasional upgrade these days, I think Alaska's First Class is perfectly acceptable.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of Alaska's First Class passengers system wide are actually paying full fare as opposed to enjoying their good fortune due to their upgrade benefits. Alaska is very generous with its upgrade policies and looks after its top tier elites as well or better than any other airline out there. As such, I should imagine both the hard and soft aspects of Alaska's First Class product are predicated upon the fact that a significant percentage of its First Class clientele are riding up there via upgrade.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 30, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It would be an interesting to know what percentage of Alaska's First Class passengers system wide are actually paying full fare
An average of 5-6 seats per flight, as of 2014.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
Originally Posted by beckoa
At least they offer one thing tolerable, WR.
#asbringbackglenlivet
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS
It would be interesting to know what percentage of Alaska's First Class passengers system wide are actually paying full fare as opposed to enjoying their good fortune due to their upgrade benefits. .
While not all paying full fare, according to the second quarter earnings call:

"and our P class or discounted first-class fares helped boost our paid first-class load factor by 1.6 points to 35%"
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I have to agree. I find AS's FC seats, along with some DL F seats on some aircraft, to be much less comfortable. I rarely pay for P, let alone F on AS, have had more than good enough luck between GGU and comp upgrades. Balance it out with some $400+ RT lat minute tickets to BOI or EAT. But recently those delta A/G/P fares have just been too good for better planes IMO for me to spend my FC $ on AS.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
But recently those delta A/G/P fares have just been too good for better planes IMO for me to spend my FC $ on AS.
Yup. Love those DL fares.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:00 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Even connecting directly from an AA 737 to an AS 737 I couldn't really tell the difference. Yeah I like more legroom but there is no domestic configured aircraft that gives me any noticeable amount more leg room.
cant be much of a difference. I think the more open style seating on AA F 738s gives the illusion of more space. Personally I prefer the AS center armrest/console over the AA 738s
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
well since you asked...

I am in the camp that does not find the new F seats to be comfortable. Because I am only 62.5" tall, leg room is a non-issue but the seat height is. I cannot touch the floor unless I'm wearing tall shoes (danskos, etc) and this makes it somewhat difficult to get comfortable on a long flight. Fortunately I am also rather petite so I tend to sit criss-cross or just select row 1 so I can put my feet up on the bulkhead (yes, I know some have issues with that).

Not a complaint you see often but that's my beef with the new seats. However, I am only in F on an upgrade, so I don't mind all that much. On longer red-eye flights, row 17 is far more comfortable for me than the F seats when I'm trying to get some sleep.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:22 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by meej
I am in the camp that does not find the new F seats to be comfortable. Because I am only 62.5" tall, leg room is a non-issue but the seat height is. I cannot touch the floor unless I'm wearing tall shoes (danskos, etc) and this makes it somewhat difficult to get comfortable on a long flight. Fortunately I am also rather petite so I tend to sit criss-cross or just select row 1 so I can put my feet up on the bulkhead (yes, I know some have issues with that).

Not a complaint you see often but that's my beef with the new seats. However, I am only in F on an upgrade, so I don't mind all that much. On longer red-eye flights, row 17 is far more comfortable for me than the F seats when I'm trying to get some sleep.
hmm wife is 4-11 and has a similar gripe of the seats although it pertains to the tops being foldable and bendable. She isnt tall enough to utilize them and finds them uncomfortable
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
It would be interesting to know what percentage of Alaska's First Class passengers system wide are actually paying full fare as opposed to enjoying their good fortune due to their upgrade benefits. Alaska is very generous with its upgrade policies and looks after its top tier elites as well or better than any other airline out there. As such, I should imagine both the hard and soft aspects of Alaska's First Class product are predicated upon the fact that a significant percentage of its First Class clientele are riding up there via upgrade.
Precisely. All but a couple of my flights on DL this year have been in paid F. I have yet to book a ticket in full fare F on AS despite being MVPG for last 3 years.

AS has floated out some discounted "P" fares on select routes here and there (but I've yet to see any on any of the routes I fly). Anytime I've checked AS when looking at DL (or AA, or UA) AS has been exorbitantly priced up front in comparison, and I just can't justify paying $2200+ for a roundtrip to Florida when Delta is $800-$1000 r/t up front. And if the price discrepancy wasn't enough, I honestly feel that Delta's domestic F product is better (pillows, blankets, PDB's...)

I love the AS people, the flexibility and can-do attitude, and AS has taken really good care of me whenever I've flown with them. I just wish they'd either price the up front cabin competitively, or be a little more generous with U space for folks paying higher economy fares and looking to use the upgrade certs.

Back on topic, I do agree that the 738's have a subpar F cabin that feels somewhat cramped with the inferior seat pitch.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ANC
cant be much of a difference. I think the more open style seating on AA F 738s gives the illusion of more space. Personally I prefer the AS center armrest/console over the AA 738s
In my opinion, there's a significant difference in pitch (36" vs 40") and AA's seatbacks do not intrude into your space when reclined.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Just completed a trip SMF-OGG-SMF in F class on an AS 737-800. The seat was horrible. Only 36" of legroom vs. 42" on HA. Even AA's 737-800's have 40". I'm unable to find any other major carrier with a pitch as small as AS has. The seat backs are so thick (maybe 5") that as soon as you try to put your seat back you're in the lap of the person behind you. Seat itself was quite uncomfortable. This made for very uncomfortable long flights. I hope F seat replacements are in the works before we fly them again.
Did you catch the metal electronics box at your feet in F window seats? That another nice touch. I don't know if all the rows have them but row 3 does. Won't sit there again.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Did you catch the metal electronics box at your feet in F window seats? That another nice touch. I don't know if all the rows have them but row 3 does. Won't sit there again.
On all F seats it should be inboard side of the outboard seat leg.

Blue
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by nomad420
We were in row 2 both ways - both 2A and 2F have those boxes. Maybe every row but 1 has them ??

What could AS have been thinking when they installed these terrible seats? I suppose it was to "improve the passenger experience".
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Currently on one of those vaunted DL 737-800's and their 38" of seat pitch (I am 5' 8" as an FYI). Also no personal TV on this old bird:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.