Wiki Posts
Search

737-800 F Seats Terrible

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
hmm. me, i'm just exceptionally happy to be able to fly non-stop between SMF and OGG, and be able to do it in F for $500rt with advanced purchase K fares + GGUs. YMMV it seems.
Ill up that. How about BOS-SAN-LIH for $500 PP RT advance puchase K fares w/ Companion Cert + instant GGUs.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:51 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The seat backs are so thick (maybe 5") that as soon as you try to put your seat back you're in the lap of the person behind you. .
If your seatbacks were 5 inches thick what a/c was that? You mustve been on one of the first 738s if thats the case
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I guess I don't see how lack of legroom in First Class is offset by route structure or fare. Why don't they just make the pitch 30 inches and shave another 50 bucks off the ticket price? 28 inches? 26 inches? It's just a bus ride in the sky with free drinks if you are in F, right?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Bethelite
I guess I don't see how lack of legroom in First Class is offset by route structure or fare. Why don't they just make the pitch 30 inches and shave another 50 bucks off the ticket price? 28 inches? 26 inches? It's just a bus ride in the sky with free drinks if you are in F, right?
On this flight, you are right. It was really quite cramped, although the seat width was nice. I don't know the ship number were were on but it shows a 737-800. The actual pitch may have been less than 36", as that measures a point on one seat to the same point on the same seat behind. But if the seat back is so thick, as these were, then that actually takes up more space. My wife and I also felt that the seat cushion was uncomfortable.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Two True Statements

1. AS F legroom is pathetic.

2. F for a K fare plus GGU can provide excellent value.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:14 pm

Deleted

Last edited by starbug; May 20, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
AS F legroom is pathetic.
Originally Posted by starbug
AS F is not amazing, but "Horrible" seems a little overly dramatic.
As does "pathetic."
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

If you like the seats, good for you. I shared our experience and some others have agreed. We also fly in F on routes where AS does have competition and based on this "horrible" experience we will use AS only when we have to.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
We also fly in F on routes where AS does have competition and based on this "horrible" experience we will use AS only when we have to.
sweet, more upgrades for me out of SMF!

you're right in that AS does not have the best hard and soft product of the US carriers in F. i'd say DL is probably best, given that they have F deployed in the most regional jets -- however their hard product on mainline birds is woefully inconsistent (they have about 27,000 different 757 configs, for instance).

but what does make up for it on AS is the outstanding service i have received, and my 100% upgrade percentage since moving over from United 18 months ago. even on DL metal with my AS FF#, my upgrade percentage is about equivalent to my past UA upgrade % as a 1K.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:30 am

I agree about the seat pitch on the -800's. On some of them, doesn't the seat bottom move forward as you recline more than a couple of inches? Not like a shell seat, because you still recline into the space behind you, but some sort of hybrid I guess.

I have difficulty getting in the window seats, especially if anybody is reclined. Even without the recline, it's difficult to get into the window seats.

Still the seat width and shoulder room is much better than coach.

As long as I don't have to get up mid-flight, it's fine I guess. Aisle or bulkhead seating may be a better option though. I like the window for picture taking and not being disturbed and the little extra bit of room against the fuselage.

I really do prefer the older F seats on the -700s for pitch anyway. (and no boxes below the seats, no power either though, which kind of sucks.)

-David
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
As does "pathetic."
Nope. It's an apt description. If I can't get out of the window seat with the seat in front reclined, I'm not inclined to slap AS (or any airline) on the back and say "this is totally reasonable!" They have you folks for that I guess.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
If I can't get out of the window seat with the seat in front reclined
Are there any domestic F seats that meet this test? I find AA has the most generous pitch and allows the window seat passenger to step into the aisle without major acrobatics...but not when the seat in front is reclined.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
If you like the seats, good for you. I shared our experience and some others have agreed. We also fly in F on routes where AS does have competition and based on this "horrible" experience we will use AS only when we have to.
Like better than other carriers' better F product, no. Like better than the coach seats I'd be sitting in a lot more often on those other carriers, oh yes. It's not that AS first is great, it's that it's a whole lot better than coach (for this wide-shouldered, short-legged passenger; YMMV) and that I can sit there consistently for a price I'm willing to pay.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Nope. It's an apt description.
No, it's hyperbole, at least to most of us.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
No, it's hyperbole, at least to most of us.
Regardless of what you want to call it, most everyone seems to agree that the seat pitch/legroom on AS's 737-800's at 36" is the smallest of any other major carrier's F class seat. Let's not argue over the semantics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.