Search

LATAM and Alaska awards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k
LATAM and Alaska awards

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/08/...atam-airlines/

It looks like LATAM is finally looking to combine LAN and TAM into one airline in the coming year. The linked article mentions combining reservation systems in 2016.

Hope this means pmJJ flights will be available for awards next year.

Last edited by PABE; Aug 10, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:53 pm

Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Sounds like AA US dba HP all over again. I'll be happy with JJ credit ^
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:43 pm

i have a question CAN I EARN MILES FOR JJ FLIGHTS? CURRENT ANSWER ???

Old Mar 26, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
We're now into 2016, any word on the ability to book JJ flights using AS miles?
Also, just confirming LAN Ecuador flights are eligible for redemption, correct?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dparkinson
We're now into 2016, any word on the ability to book JJ flights using AS miles?
Also, just confirming LAN Ecuador flights are eligible for redemption, correct?
No to JJ flights; Yes to LAN Ecuador.

I've also booked LAN Peru and LAN Argentina flights before.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Bumping this up...

I know only a few of us here appreciate LAN/LATAM awards. I know I have personally booked 4-5 r/t trips in J on LAN in the past and it is quite possibly my favourite/most used AS partner.

Well it seems like LAN/TAM have fully integrated their brands as far as they had planned (reservations and name) and are currently painting their planes to match. I also noticed my upcoming flight LAX-LIM-EZE is now showing (on AlaskaAir.com) as "Operated by LATAM Peru".

Does anyone have any other updates regarding whether or not AS will allow award bookings to be made on JJ/PZ? It seems that most longhaul JJ flights are now codeshared as LA (the same way LP/4M/4C flights are also coded as LA).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've emailed AS about whether JJ flights can now earn mileage. Will post the response when/if I get one. (Hoping to use a couple of JJ flights for the 1K partner bonus.)
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For all things Lan Chile / Lan / LATAM, I never hold my breath. It just leads to unconsciousness and brain damage. And, I speak as the MP member who has apparently redeemed more AS miles on LA than any other MP member. (It was over 1.8M miles as of a couple of years ago.)

Note that we still can't redeem for Premium Economy. It took a long time to have all the LAN carriers onboard after the consolidation under the LAN brand. The LAN brand remains as the partner on the AS website (after what, 2 months?).

If I had a functional crystal ball (I have a few, but they aren't clear nor tell the future), I'd predict your response will be "we haven't heard anything from LAN, so no, you cannot earn..."
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I have called and asked regarding to JJ last month, the agent said it is not possible to earn or burn on JJ. Not sure if the rules had change.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For all things Lan Chile / Lan / LATAM, I never hold my breath. It just leads to unconsciousness and brain damage. And, I speak as the MP member who has apparently redeemed more AS miles on LA than any other MP member. (It was over 1.8M miles as of a couple of years ago.)

Note that we still can't redeem for Premium Economy. It took a long time to have all the LAN carriers onboard after the consolidation under the LAN brand. The LAN brand remains as the partner on the AS website (after what, 2 months?).

If I had a functional crystal ball (I have a few, but they aren't clear nor tell the future), I'd predict your response will be "we haven't heard anything from LAN, so no, you cannot earn..."

I agree, the LATAM/AS situation has always been weird. I love that it is an option, but communication is about as good as the AM/AS partnership.

In addition to Premium Economy, you also can't redeem for AEP/Aeroparque in Bs.As. which is endless annoying to me as there are always awards available on SCL-AEP on BAEC.

I guess one can only hope for a future induction into OneWorld
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sturges
I agree, the LATAM/AS situation has always been weird. I love that it is an option, but communication is about as good as the AM/AS partnership.

In addition to Premium Economy, you also can't redeem for AEP/Aeroparque in Bs.As. which is endless annoying to me as there are always awards available on SCL-AEP on BAEC.

I guess one can only hope for a future induction into OneWorld
That wouldn't necessarily solve it! In case you're not aware, AA has plenty of problems seeing some LAN flight availability, including some that BA can see. So being part of oneworld doesn't solve LAN availability visibility issues.

IIRC correctly, SCL-EZE is flown by LAN Chile, while SCL-AEP is flown by LAN Argentina, and LAN Argentina flights for some reason often can't be seen by lots of oneworld (as well as other) partners.

LATAM tries to pretend it's one airline, but "under the hood" it's still a bunch of different ones (way more than just LAN and TAM).

And, btw, you can't redeem AA miles for anyone's premium economy yet. Not LATAMs, not BA's, not QF's, etc. AA won't "solve" that until they introduce their own premium economy (starting late this year), at which point they'll be forced to put premium economy fully into their reservation system.

So the LATAM award redemption grass is not necessarily any greener inside oneworld than outside it.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 6, 2016 at 7:28 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sdsearch

IIRC correctly, SCL-EZE is flown by LAN Chile, while SCL-AEP is flown by LAN Argentina ...
SCL/AEP is typically all LA and not 4M. I've occasionally seen an LP flight SCL/EZE but typically, it is also LA.

For example:
FRI 15JUL16 SANTIAGO /BUENOS AIRES *LA
15JUL FRI SCL/AST AEP/$1
1 SCL AEP 15/0700 1010 LA 439 W7 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K0 M0 L0 V0|320*C
2 SCL AEP 15/1620 1920 LA 461 W3 P1 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7|320*C
3 SCL AEP 15/1910 2215 LA 451 W7 P4 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7|320*C
>L@LA/A* ·
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Jma12
I have called and asked regarding to JJ last month, the agent said it is not possible to earn or burn on JJ. Not sure if the rules had change.
Thanks. No reply from AS to my email. I keep getting e-newsletters from LANTAM about how it's now one airline. Suppose the message hasn't gotten through the folks in Seattle yet. (Though it might also help if the boys down in Santiago assign LA flight designators to all their flights now, and dump the JJ.)

Will post my TAM flight to AA and just use AS for one of my intra-South Africa BA flights to get the 1K bonus.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I'm disappointed that SCL-IPC is no longer an award option. RT in coach is $600ish, which would be a nice savings if I fork out $$ for an SCL trip on LAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.