AS SMF Misdirected Our Bags

Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Two of us recently travelled on AS awards, SMF-SEA-BZN, destined to Yellowstone, about 2 1/2 hours from BZN. Upon arrival at BZN, our checked luggage did not arrive, and it turns out that the silly, chatty ticket agent at SMF, even after looking at our boarding passes and identification (and even commenting that my wife's drivers license is due to expire soon), checked our bags only to SEA, having tagged them with the itinerary of another couple with a similar, but not identical, last name (same first 4 of 5 letters). I had, of course, told him our final destination upon stepping up to the counter (as in "Seattle, and then to Bozeman"). We also glanced at our baggage receipts but did not immediately think anything was wrong, as sometimes abbreviations may be used. The bags were also whisked away quickly so that I was unable to notice the destination on the tags. This could have been avoided if SMF had the "print baggage tags at home" opportunity.

Anyway, upon arrival at BZN, we of course mentioned the baggage guarantee (miles) to the nice staff there, and they said "of course, plus we think you should get something more from Customer Care". They also managed to locate our baggage in SEA, and arranged to have it sent to BZN on the last flight of the day (we were on the midday flight), and then they had it transported to the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, where it arrived just before midnight on the day of arrival, and we were quite relieved. By phone, BZN staff advised my wife that she would be getting a $200 discount voucher code, and that indeed eventually arrived.

However, neither of us received the 2500 baggage guarantee miles, and I did not receive a voucher. The reservation was in my wife's name, using her miles.

The BZN clerk was quite incensed at the incompetence of the AS SMF staff.

Any thoughts on whether both travelers should be receiving the miles, and whether I have my own case to get a voucher?

In looking at the rules for redeeming the voucher, it seems that it cannot be used in combination with any other offer, such as paying for the ticket costs for the first person in conjuction with the AS credit card companion fare. Is that correct?

Finally, on the return, while BZN does have the "print your own tags", we checked in via cell phone, and I did not see any option to do that. Upon arrival at BZN, we did print and attach our own tags, but I am not sure that we will receive the 1000-mile bonus for doing so.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
If the reservation was in your wife's name then I suspect that's all you're going to get: a voucher for your wife, and (once you chase it down) 2500 guarantee miles for her mileage plan account.

If you were flying on two separate PNRs then I could see making the case for both of you getting the voucher and miles, but one PNR? That's a stretch.

Neil
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i seem to notice that they can get in a bit of a "hurry" at SMF...not sure why, as it's usually not that busy since few of the departure times overlap all that much.

i always ask to see my printed bag tag before they adhere it to the bag, for this very reason.

anyways, it sounds like you got what you were promised by phone (a $200 voucher to your wife). if all bags were checked in your wife's name, then you also got the correct bag guarantee compensation. if one was checked under your name, you should also get the 2500 miles.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by missamo80
If the reservation was in your wife's name then I suspect that's all you're going to get: a voucher for your wife, and (once you chase it down) 2500 guarantee miles for her mileage plan account.

If you were flying on two separate PNRs then I could see making the case for both of you getting the voucher and miles, but one PNR? That's a stretch
Eh, the 2,500 mile thing is a red herring. That's when the bag is late on the belt. That's not what happened here. The $200 voucher is for the bag mishandling, and that's what the OP wants.

You can easily make the case if it was 2 bags, or 2 pax on a PNR, that both of you were impacted and both should be compensated.

That's what I would do. Though, I would have done it when the BZN agent called the wife. When they said she'd be getting $200, she could have chimed in and said it's both our stuff, would it be possible to get one as well? I'd be surprised if they said no.

I've never had problems claiming joint belongings or impact on bag issues. They know people co-mingle stuff and pack together. There's nothing unusual about that when traveling together.

I would write in to customer care, referencing the wife's voucher, and mention that it was a party of 2 and both of us were impacted equally because our stuff was jointly packed, so you'd like compensation as well.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i always ask to see my printed bag tag before they adhere it to the bag, for this very reason.
Definitely. I always at a minimum look at the claim check.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:34 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The guarantee is 2500 Miles or $25. As your wife got $200, I would expect that was in place of the $25.

And yes, BZN does have self tag. The mobile app doesn't offer self-tag during check in. You have to use the website (not sure about the mobile site)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
The guarantee is 2500 Miles or $25. As your wife got $200, I would expect that was in place of the $25.

And yes, BZN does have self tag. The mobile app doesn't offer self-tag during check in. You have to use the website (not sure about the mobile site)
Welcome back Missy...have you been on vacation??? Let me guess...PVR?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
OP-

Whenever checking a bag, it is very important to double-check those bag tags. Also, when speaking with the agent, always state your final destination then the connecting city. (i.e. "Our final destination is Bozeman connecting in Seattle"). This will lessen your chances of this happening against.

These are just tips...nobody can totally compensate for an incompetent agent or an agent having a bad day.

The good agents will repeat the baggage information before tagging the bags, but those types of agents are getting rarer these days.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
As a side note, I've noticed a few AS/QX stations (especially FAT) becoming more hesitant to give the baggage guarantee vouchers. The only thing I can think of is that baggage service agents may now have to provide more of a rationale and documentation for when giving out the vouchers.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
What cannot be stressed enough is to ALWAYS look at the coding on the baggage tag before letting it go on the belt. This is even MORE critical when there is a connection, you want to see BOTH airport codes on the tag. That said, where I really worry is on any AA connection flights. I not only check the tag but also cross my fingers, click my heels three times, throw salt over my shoulder, hunt for a shamrock and what ever else I can think of to charm the lost baggage gods to NOT let AA screw up again for my bags.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
We had a bag not arrive with us at LAX and were told in conversation that the baggage agents are able to give up to $50 or 5,000 miles on the spot directly into our accounts, in lieu of handing out the BSG certs. Any more would have to be request through CS.

We were fine with the 5K miles, which were posted within 2 days.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
As a side note, I've noticed a few AS/QX stations (especially FAT) becoming more hesitant to give the baggage guarantee vouchers. The only thing I can think of is that baggage service agents may now have to provide more of a rationale and documentation for when giving out the vouchers.
Seems easier just to tweet @AlaskaAir.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Aug 4, 2015 at 5:31 pm Reason: Holy crap, must have been sleepy. Terrible grammar!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input.

As two individual travelers are involved, each checking one bag, it seems that each traveler (even if on a single PNR) should at least receive the miles for delayed baggage. That's what I will try for, especially since we specifically requested the miles, rather than an alternative voucher. The voucher was Alaska's idea. (We're glad to have it, and don't need to push to get two of them.)
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Thanks for the input.

As two individual travelers are involved, each checking one bag, it seems that each traveler (even if on a single PNR) should at least receive the miles for delayed baggage. That's what I will try for, especially since we specifically requested the miles, rather than an alternative voucher. The voucher was Alaska's idea. (We're glad to have it, and don't need to push to get two of them.)
If both of your bags were delayed, then indeed each of you should have been compensated individually. Just to be clear, your companion received a $200 voucher and you did not? And both of your bags were delayed?

If that's the case, I would contact CS again and point out what happened. I can't imagine that they would combine $100 in compensation and then just deposit it into one person's account. Heck, it may be an easier case since you'd have a frame of reference to point to (the initial $200 voucher).

That's at least how I would frame your case, if that's what you're aiming for.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

You got 200 dollars for a bag delayed approx 8 hours
That is a very generous compensation
Stick with that and forget about it.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tony10s
You got 200 dollars for a bag delayed approx 8 hours
That is a very generous compensation
Stick with that and forget about it.
+1 - For goodness sake, this really isn't a big deal. OP can't seriously say that he suffered more than $200 for having to wait 8 hours for the bags.

As others note, this was easily avoided by simply looking at the claim checks. That is part of the reason they exist.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Seems easier just to tweet @AlaskaAir.
I've done this a few times in the past few months but they tell me nowadays to go to an agent to get the voucher.

Funny how they have this on their baggage service guarantee page:
"You can reach out to us on Twitter @alaskaair, call our customer service center at 1-800-654-5669, or simply come and speak with one of our Customer Service Agents at the airport."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.