Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS adds daily E175 service PDX-MSP, OMA & MCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

http://www.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom...730_045554.asp

Alaska Airlines Announces New Daily Flying from Portland to Three Midwest Cities

Introductory one-way fares starting as low as $139 for tickets purchased by Aug. 5*

7/30/2015 4:59 a.m.

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines is launching daily nonstop service from its Portland, Oregon, hub to three Midwest metropolises including Kansas City, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Omaha, Nebraska, starting Feb. 18, 2016. The routes are in addition to new Portland – Austin, Texas service the carrier announced last month.

"We continue to expand our Portland service portfolio with new non-stops to America's Heartland", said John Kirby, the airline's vice president of capacity planning. "With these new routes, Alaska Airlines will offer more than three times the number of nonstop destinations from the Rose City than any other carrier."

Summary of new service:

Start date

City pair

Departs

Arrives

Frequency

Feb. 18

Portland-Kansas City

9:35 a.m.

2:59 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Kansas City-Portland

3:40 p.m.

5:45 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Portland-Minneapolis

10:55 a.m.

4:16 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Minneapolis-Portland

5 p.m.

7:08 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Portland-Omaha

6:50 p.m.

11:49 p.m.

Daily

Feb.19

Omaha-Portland

7 a.m.

8:45 a.m.

Daily

All times based on local time zones

To celebrate the new routes, Alaska Airlines is offering introductory one-way fares starting at $139 on flights from Portland to Kansas City, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Omaha.* Customers must purchase their tickets by Aug. 5 and travel by March 16, 2016. Visit www.alaskaair.com to find great savings and purchase tickets, or call 1-800-ALASKAAIR (800-252-7522 or Hearing & Speech Impaired (TTY): Dial 711 for Relay Services).

The airline also is offering members of its Mileage Plan double miles on flights from Portland to Minneapolis and Kansas City.** To qualify, travelers must be members of Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan, register at www.alaskaair.com and travel between Feb. 18 and March 18, 2016. Customers who have not yet joined Mileage Plan can enroll at no cost online.

The daily flights will be operated by SkyWest Airlines with 76-seat E175 jets featuring 12 seats in first class and 64 in coach, and boasting cabin dimensions on par with a 737. Onboard amenities will include Alaska Beyond Delicious, featuring food and beverages sourced with items from iconic Pacific Northwest brands, and Inflight Internet access. The planes are also equipped with Alaska Beyond Entertainment, which offers free and premium entertainment direct to customer devices, First class customers will also enjoy power outlets at each seat.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
More inaugurals to book. Looks like it may be possible to do both MCI and OMA, if you're willing to spend a night in Nebraska.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That's great news ^. Looking forward to the inaugural MCI-PDX.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
PDXPremier is going to be doing kartwheels

i'm quite pleased about the Omaha service, particularly since the timings allow nice connections to/from SMF and RNO ^
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
PDXPremier is going to be doing kartwheels

i'm quite pleased about the Omaha service, particularly since the timings allow nice connections to/from SMF and RNO ^
Yes I am! Now if they could just open up some saver award space so I can switch the award flights I already have booked to the nonstop....
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Interesting the routes are starting in February.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That's great news ^. Looking forward to the inaugural MCI-PDX.
You were pretty excited about the double daily seasonal SEA service to MCI as well. I think WN serves this market already-of course AS will likely capture more POS from PDX, suspect WN captures more of the MCI originating traffic.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Glad to see adds and OMA graduate to F

What else does AS have planned for 2016?!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Interesting the routes are starting in February.

You were pretty excited about the double daily seasonal SEA service to MCI as well. I think WN serves this market already-of course AS will likely capture more POS from PDX, suspect WN captures more of the MCI originating traffic.
Due to the 2x2 configuration?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/gloss...tterSelected=P

Originally Posted by beckoa
Glad to see adds and OMA graduate to F
me too. reserved a seat on the inaugural with some standing credit in MW. not sure if i'll fly it since i will be in SEA the preceding weekend, but alas, a bird in hand. if Missy can guarantee i cut the ribbon (), i'd take the trip and go visit some favorite restaurants in Lincoln.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
http://www.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom...730_045554.asp

Feb. 18

Portland-Minneapolis

10:55 a.m.

4:16 p.m.

Daily

Feb. 18

Minneapolis-Portland

5 p.m.

7:08 p.m.

Daily
I'm interested to see how they do against DL on the MSP flight/also a bit surprised they didn't start this route with mainline.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'm interested to see how they do against DL on the MSP flight/also a bit surprised they didn't start this route with mainline.
Not at all surprised, it means they don't have to dump an entire 738's worth of seats into the market.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
While I am really excited about the additional flights, especially to MSP, I am really disappointed in the times. Trying to connect to Medford doesn't do me a lot of good -- means a few hour layover. Had they made it an hour or so later I would have booked many trips
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Maybe not for FT, but in airline network planning speak that is point of sale, as in the country/region or in this case, side of the route most of the seats are sold. Clearly AS has a relatively large presence and following in PDX but is very small at MCI where most local residents likely don't know about their presence.

AS for whatever reason seems to be big still on billboards on roadways around airports for new routes they start. I wonder if they will have billboards on the interstates leading into MCI. I assume the incentive payment from MCI includes a marketing component, as most all air service development incentive plans offer.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Would it be embarrassing to say I did a jump and fist pump combination when PDX-MSP was announced?

Beyond awesome. I've never done an inaugural, so might have to jump on this one.^^
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Not at all surprised, it means they don't have to dump an entire 738's worth of seats into the market.
MSP-PDX isn't a thin city pair. DL has seven mainline MSP-PDX today - nothing under 160 seats.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I wonder what aircraft utilization will be on these routes. MCI and OMA could use the same plane, but adding MSP might mean a 175 shows up on another short route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.