Cookies for Breakfast?

Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Long trip without anything to eat. Did they at least have food for sale?

That said, I always stick one of these into the carryon for long flights.

I'd like to visit Archer Farms, and see the plants that grow M&Ms.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'd like something more too. Even the old 'snack basket' (ghasp)

I did the SFO-PDX-ANC shuffle last month, there is barely enough time to get to the gate (30 min cxn), and that time of night most good things are closed in PDX.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:45 am

I took the LAX-ANC non-stop earlier this month that leaves at 7:55 PM and includes dinner in F. Unfortunately the flight left 2 ½ hours late, so dinner wasn’t served until midnight Pacific time, but I didn’t notice anyone turning it down.

As others point out, with short connections and delayed flights there isn’t time always to get something to eat at a connecting airport. And if you start off the beaten path in outlying locations in Alaska, there may be no options for airport food, you won’t get anything significant flying intra-Alaska to Fairbanks or Anchorage, nothing significant overnight to the lower 48, and then a light breakfast and a couple cups of coffee flying across the rest of the country the following morning. The duration could be a minimum of 12 hours or more from rural Alaska to the East Coast, but it is good advice to bring some food along, even in first class on AS.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by 98103
Probably sipping alcohol in a quasi-tropical location.
Back in the office today
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by BillScann
I can see why you might have that perspective, but many of us who travel for business work right up to the time we need to go and grab our flight and what we eat in the air might be all we have all day.
I travel for work and have never relied on an airline to feed me my only meal of the day on a flight leaving late in the evening.

Also if you are so overworked you don't get a chance to eat all day maybe a new career path is in order.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
I travel for work and have never relied on an airline to feed me my only meal of the day on a flight leaving late in the evening.

Also if you are so overworked you don't get a chance to eat all day maybe a new career path is in order.
Perfectly said. IMO, any employer who treats its employees so poorly - not allowing them time off at meal time - is an employer which should be out of business.

I would never consider flying without food in my carry on. I always have an apple and peanut butter on hand. Tasty at any time, and healthier than most airline snacks. Besides, I'd rather never be dependent upon an airline.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Thank you for supporting Alaska Airlines. To show our appreciation, 1000 Stockholm Syndrome Miles have been deposited into your account. Don't go changin'!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by BillScann
Thank you for supporting Alaska Airlines. To show our appreciation, 1000 Stockholm Syndrome Miles have been deposited into your account. Don't go changin'!
To me it is the complete inconsistency of what AS does as far as meals. Recently I have had cookies at what should be meal time and full on dinner on redeyes. I am at the point that I am more curious about what they will be serving than worrying about whether I will get fed or not.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
What a state American airlines are in - arguing about whether or not cookies are an appropriate course of service in first class, irrespective of time of day!!! Pathetic. Go ANYWHERE on this planet in F class on any carrier for anything more than about 45 minutes at ANY time of day, and passengers get a COOKIE??? OMG. Truly Stockholm Syndrome as evidenced by the comments of some of the responders. And the airline industry (including AS) is raking in revenue hand-over-fist - no thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by pacman3
What a state American airlines are in - arguing about whether or not cookies are an appropriate course of service in first class, irrespective of time of day!!! Pathetic. Go ANYWHERE on this planet in F class on any carrier for anything more than about 45 minutes at ANY time of day, and passengers get a COOKIE??? OMG. Truly Stockholm Syndrome as evidenced by the comments of some of the responders. And the airline industry (including AS) is raking in revenue hand-over-fist - no thanks.
Others - myself included - might argue that what is really amazing is that people are arguing about something so trivial as what snack one receives on a flight, especially, in this case, on a flight so late at night that most people wouldn't think about eating. The purpose of a flight is two fold: to enjoy soaring into the heavens and to get from point A to point B. Yes, if it is meal time one appreciates food, but to argue over what one is served - oh my!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Seriously, Indeleware? Perhaps I am from a different generation, but when I fly F class (which I do exclusively as I am old!) I expect service in addition to an additional 4 inches of pitch and 3 inches of seat width. The state of the domestic system is truly pathetic for those of us who have the means to pay (again, read 'old') for what, for the rest of world, is simply a given. So, argue away regarding cookies, plastic cups (versus glasses), and the like.... Like someone else in this string suggested, Stockholm Syndrome....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by BOB W
To me it is the complete inconsistency of what AS does as far as meals. Recently I have had cookies at what should be meal time and full on dinner on redeyes. I am at the point that I am more curious about what they will be serving than worrying about whether I will get fed or not.
What redeye's have a full dinner on AS?

I have taken a few redeyes on DL (PDX-ATL) and all they serve is the snack basket.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by pacman3
Seriously, Indeleware? Perhaps I am from a different generation, but when I fly F class (which I do exclusively as I am old!) I expect service in addition to an additional 4 inches of pitch and 3 inches of seat width. The state of the domestic system is truly pathetic for those of us who have the means to pay (again, read 'old') for what, for the rest of world, is simply a given. So, argue away regarding cookies, plastic cups (versus glasses), and the like.... Like someone else in this string suggested, Stockholm Syndrome....
I would argue the state of the domestic airline system is what it is today because it is what the overwhelming majority of the traveling public wants.

Not saying I agree with it but it is what it is.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

I have taken a few redeyes on DL (PDX-ATL) and all they serve is the snack basket.
Therein lies the inconsistency. Full meal at midnight has happened. Last time was 3-4 months ago and it was a pasta with red sauce dish. I have not seen the snack basket in a couple of years but the rumors persist that it is back.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by BOB W

Therein lies the inconsistency. Full meal at midnight has happened. Last time was 3-4 months ago and it was a pasta with red sauce dish. I have not seen the snack basket in a couple of years but the rumors persist that it is back.
That's a snack

I was offered one before, on AS871 HNL-ANC. Was a pleasant surprise. The flight was scheduled to leave at 8:55 PM or so (right before the 9 PM cutoff for dinner), so a full transcon dinner was offered with an arrival into ANC around 4-5 AM. So not a lot of sleep, but was tasty,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.