Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[YET ANOTHER MERGER SPECULATION] It's summertime and the speculation is easy

[YET ANOTHER MERGER SPECULATION] It's summertime and the speculation is easy

Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
Cool [YET ANOTHER MERGER SPECULATION] It's summertime and the speculation is easy

from chicago business journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...ry-kellys.html
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by thumbelina
Thank you, I appreciate the post.

And.

After having read the article, I feel the need to take a shower.

Last edited by dave1013; Jul 30, 2015 at 7:15 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I just can't imagine a world without Alaska Airlines.

Kind of scary.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Southwest is so different from AS, HA and B6, it makes AirTran look like a fraternal twin -- and we all know how difficult the AirTran merger turned out to be.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:23 pm

I would like to know this persons source

Jetblue and Hawaiian..?! two airlines that do not own a single 737? Does the author know how Southwest works? It would be hilarious to see Southwest acquire an airline that's fleet is over half widebody.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'd have to say i'm shocked its been this long since there has been a speculation piece like this.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Flight attendants ponder? Yes, they're brought in on strategy meetings of the board of directors.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by thumbelina
LOLZ.

"Hey, Brad, it's Gary, want to merge?"

(dial tone)

"Hello? Hello? Must be a bad connection..."

WN had better worry about their own operation these days. Their on times are still not so great (still below average).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:27 am

Looking only at was regulators would approve not what would make sense operationally I think that DL/AA/UA/WN are all out on the merger game for the foreseeable future. They all got a merger and would have little leverage to claim they need another merger with record profits rolling in.

I think that the DOT MIGHT allow some combination of AS/B6/HA to merge as they did not go through a merger. They'd be put through the ringer to do it but I think 2 of those three would be allowed to merge...not that it will happen just what I think regulators would approve of.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
suggest to merge with the thread lol. AS and WN business models are fundamentally different, HA and AS have tremendous overlap in routes and thus might make more sense but i don't see it happening. B6 is an interesting possibility that I would have an easier time getting behind.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
suggest to merge with the thread lol. AS and WN business models are fundamentally different, HA and AS have tremendous overlap in routes and thus might make more sense but i don't see it happening. B6 is an interesting possibility that I would have an easier time getting behind.
An AS/B6 Tie up could really compete with nearly anyone domestically.

With very good Bi-Coastal hubs the tie-up would take AlaskaBlue out of the "super regional" carrier and move them up to a Big 5 domestically with DL/AA/UA/WN
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kop84
An AS/B6 Tie up could really compete with nearly anyone domestically.

With very good Bi-Coastal hubs the tie-up would take AlaskaBlue out of the "super regional" carrier and move them up to a Big 5 domestically with DL/AA/UA/WN
Ask US how having a "dumbbell" structure with nothing mid-con worked for them (it didn't, which is one of the reasons why the "ugly girl" was trying to merge with someone for almost a decade).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kop84
I think that the DOT MIGHT allow some combination of AS/B6/HA to merge as they did not go through a merger.
The only scenario that makes sense to me -- and it would only happen as a defensive gesture to ward off an overture toward AS from AA/DL/WN -- would be HA-AS. You'd have an intercontinental route system stretching from BOS and MCO all the way to SYD and MNL, and the products and cultures are IMO mergeable. I don't know what you'd call the combined airline though.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Wow... none of the mergers discussed in this article make one bit of sense.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Wow... none of the mergers discussed in this article make one bit of sense.
I hear Southwest is looking to merge with MH. They will pick up their A380 leases and operate them on HOU-LAS, LUV-MDW, and BWI-DEN

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.